Post-Game Talk: Plus/Minus Flyers vs Pens 2/20/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cspeirs4

Jan 26, 2011
Yeah I don't know about everyone saying Sid had a good game. Lazy on defence, seems to always be racing across the blue line before we even get firm control of the puck in our end. Passed on oppurtunites when his only play was to shoot. Multiple turnovers. And ever since his concussion he doesn't seem 'right'. I can't put my tongue on it but I've noticed his battles, board play, and effort are no where near pre concussion. Biggest Crosby fan you'll ever meet but just my two cents.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
It amazes me Orpik has the balls to criticize anyone on the team for last night, after his masterpiece performance.

He really is an arrogant SOB. No two ways about it. Nothing wrong with being vocal but take care of your own business first.

He wears the "A" for a reason. I didn't see anywhere where he was throwing anyone under the bus. "We" seems to be the tone set.

Hook-lineampstinker_zps652e0bdf.gif

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I see a lot of posts about your players getting involved in extracurriculars and getting off their game when chaos starts happening.

Did you ever consider that you guys just don't play well when teams play you physically?

That's how you beat us in the late 2000s, particularly in the playoffs. Some of your veteran physical forwards would hit Timonen along the end boards at every opportunity. You would physically pound our defense and try to chip at our forwards. Elbows, boardings, crosschecks, the whole nine yards. Not exaggerated and obviously goony stuff, but the kind of chippy play that goes into games. At we did it too, but we were a softer team back then. Now, when we are being more physical (since about the acquisition of Pronger among others), things changed.

We do that now to Letang, and we're the bad guys? Guys like Rinaldo and Zolnierczyk are paid to make it hard for guys like Letang to do their jobs. You guys also keep talking about Couturier playing Malkin tough and being physical.

Our players finished every check last night. That 16 your barn gave us in the hits category doesn't do last night justice.

This is the key point, and adding just pressuring the puck carrier. The Pens have lost most of those games this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Anyway, it was just food for thought. Game was entertaining as always. We're having a nice little run at being the best rivalry in the NHL. Let's not ruin that by being more bitter than necessary. Live to fight another game.

Easy for you to say when your team wins every ******* game.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
I see a lot of posts about your players getting involved in extracurriculars and getting off their game when chaos starts happening.

Did you ever consider that you guys just don't play well when teams play you physically?

That's how you beat us in the late 2000s, particularly in the playoffs. Some of your veteran physical forwards would hit Timonen along the end boards at every opportunity. You would physically pound our defense and try to chip at our forwards. Elbows, boardings, crosschecks, the whole nine yards. Not exaggerated and obviously goony stuff, but the kind of chippy play that goes into games. At we did it too, but we were a softer team back then. Now, when we are being more physical (since about the acquisition of Pronger among others), things changed.

We do that now to Letang, and we're the bad guys? Guys like Rinaldo and Zolnierczyk are paid to make it hard for guys like Letang to do their jobs. You guys also keep talking about Couturier playing Malkin tough and being physical.

Our players finished every check last night. That 16 your barn gave us in the hits category doesn't do last night justice.

Stop playing up the crap that GM Holmgren has acquired. Philadelphia is a bad team cut & pasted together with no real purpose. Your reason for success is the incredible incompetence of Dan Bylsma. When Bylsma gets himself fired the Pens will have no trouble from coach Dondi and the mess he coaches in Philadelphia that is if he survives himself.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Most media members are speculating it will take about 56 points to make the playoffs this year. For the flyers to get in they would need 39 more points with 30 games left. So basically they would need to go 19-10-1 to get in playoffs. Thats gonna be tough for them good chance they dont make it this year.

bradshaw06

Dec 7, 2009
New Jersey
Philadelphia is a bad team and it shouldn't matter who they start against that truly awful goalie Bryzgalov.

I guess as someone else put it, we'd question it either way. I just would rather have seen a hot fleury in there and have tv against the panthers

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
At least this game didn't happen in Philly. Have to hear that terrible terrible goal song 6 times.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Let's not freak out yet people. We're 1 and 1 vs. the Flyers, are 4th in the east, and this one was a pretty close game despite the craziness. Unless you're the blackhawks, you do lose some games during the season.

Now, if we draw the Flyers again in the playoffs, I guess it will be okay to freak out then. Not because I'd be too worried about losing, but that we'd be too banged up to play our best in the next series.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Most media members are speculating it will take about 56 points to make the playoffs this year. For the flyers to get in they would need 39 more points with 30 games left. So basically they would need to go 19-10-1 to get in playoffs. Thats gonna be tough for them good chance they dont make it this year.

The % of potential points necessary to make the playoffs:
2011-12
EAST - 56%
WEST - 58%

2010-11
EAST - 57%
WEST - 59%

2009-10
EAST - 54%
WEST - 58%

2008-09
EAST - 57%
WEST - 55%

2007-08
EAST - 57%
WEST - 55%

2006-07
EAST - 56%
WEST - 59%

2005-06
EAST - 56%
WEST - 58%

The average percentage of potential points necessary to get into playoffs in the East in the post-lockout era is 56%.

The Flyers right now are at 47%.

Going 19-10-1 would put us at a record of 27-19-2 or 56 points. That amounts to 58%. The Eastern Conference since the lockout has NEVER hit 58%, and this being a lockout 1/2 season does not bode well for the odds of a strong season by an elite few teams. If anything it would be more bunched and lower. Going with the average, 53 points are necessary to make the playoffs this season meaning the Flyers would need to get at least 36 points in 30 games which amounts to 18-12-0 or any combination of OT/SO games. The Flyers need to basically close the season at a .600 winning percentage to make the playoffs, with the easiest part of their schedule coming in the last month of action.

Read is healthy though I still don't know what happened to him last night. Hartnell will be back within a week. Meszaros will be back shortly after that. .600 is not a stretch really.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
2011-12
EAST - 56%
WEST - 58%

2010-11
EAST - 57%
WEST - 59%

2009-10
EAST - 54%
WEST - 58%

2008-09
EAST - 57%
WEST - 55%

2007-08
EAST - 57%
WEST - 55%

2006-07
EAST - 56%
WEST - 59%

2005-06
EAST - 56%
WEST - 58%

The average percentage of potential points necessary to get into playoffs in the East in the post-lockout era is 56%.

The Flyers right now are at 47%.

Going 19-10-1 would put us at a record of 27-19-2 or 56 points. That amounts to 58%. The Eastern Conference since the lockout has NEVER hit 58%, and this being a lockout 1/2 season does not bode well for the odds of a strong season by an elite few teams. If anything it would be more bunched and lower. Going with the average, 53 points are necessary to make the playoffs this season meaning the Flyers would need to get at least 36 points in 30 games which amounts to 18-12-0 or any combination of OT/SO games. The Flyers need to basically close the season at a .600 winning percentage to make the playoffs, with the easiest part of their schedule coming in the last month of action.

https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/303931904929980417

Must be almost time for the playoff push... some teams have only 32 games left. Probably takes 55-56 points to qualify this year.

Hes not the only one who has said 56 point total for playoffs mentioned allot ever since the lockout ended. How many games you guys got left with rags and devils?

Glamor Toad

Jun 30, 2009
Poitiers

I hope that your inductive reasoning is correct and that the Flyers do make it. The only way to get the bitter taste out of my mouth is to beat you in the playoffs for the third time in the past five years.

That said, something will have to change. I'm glad that someone like Chris can come in here for a discussion and take the bile that a few bitter people spew. I don't want a homogeneous world here on the Pens board, I want different opinions (even and especially, if I don't like it)

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/303931904929980417

Must be almost time for the playoff push... some teams have only 32 games left. Probably takes 55-56 points to qualify this year.

Hes not the only one who has said 56 point total for playoffs mentioned allot ever since the lockout ended. How many games you guys got left with rags and devils?

ATL
Rangers - 3
Penguins - 2
Devils - 3
Islanders - 3

SE
Panthers - 1
Jets - 2
Capitals - 2
Lightning - 1
Hurricanes - 1

NE
Leafs - 2
Senators - 3
Bruins - 3
Sabres - 2
Canadiens - 2

Games are rough with the Bruins, Pens, Rags, and Devils. Let's say we go 6-5-0 in those 11 games. We need to go 12-6-0 against the Leafs (2), Senators (3), Sabres (2), Canadiens (2), Hurricanes (1), Lightning (1), Capitals (2), Jets (2), Panthers (1), and Islanders (3).

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Just checked out your schedule chris you got 9 games left between devils rags bruins u will be lucky to go 3-6 vs them. Its gonna be tough for you guys

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Just checked out your schedule chris you got 9 games left between devils rags bruins u will be lucky to go 3-6 vs them. Its gonna be tough for you guys

Lots of hopefully free points in there against Islanders, Sabres, and Capitals though. We'll see. It's not going to be easy, but I reserved myself a while ago to see how this season played out. Lots of sophomores, a new captain, lots of early injuries, half a season, etc.

Everyone knew it was going to be a bizarre year. That shoots your expectations out the window at the very beginning so I'm trying not to get overly involved or emotional about it.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Why do I have feeling that last nights game was the beginning of the end for Dizzy Bryzy. 5 goals on 32 shots and he's what you're counting on?

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
You will be lucky to win tonights game florida is terrible but its a really tough spot for you guys tonight and you cant factor in injuries even though your getting guys back you will get some new ones just like every other team.

May 10, 2010
Agreed.

It actually started out exactly like old times tonight. Pens score, Flyers take a dumb penalty by thugging it up with a cheap hit, Pens make them pay by scoring on the PP but for whatever reason the Pens inevitably get caught up in the Flyers BS these days.

Why does it keep getting referred to as BS? It's an effective strategy that they use to stomp us because our players have the mindsets of upset children. It is the opposite of BS.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yeah but look at the rest of that team. BGL, Gill, Roo and Roberts were in peoples faces if you even looked at someone side ways.

I remember Avery going after MAF after a game during the playoffs. BGL and Gill were right in his face. We didn't hear from Avery the rest of the series after his name was on everyones lips for what he did to Marty the series before.

I really miss those "Cowboys from Hell" teams.

I do too. It really does seem as though that Islanders fiasco game has changed this club's philosophy about carrying rough players. And I think it's having an effect on how this team responds in any sort of tension-filled game.

Previously, we'd be the ones initiating the rough stuff and the other team would respond. Now, we're the ones being suckered into retaliating when the other team roughs up our players.

I miss the Penguins teams that every other fanbase in the league whined about being a bunch of dirty goons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad