Plotnikov vs Tikhonov

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I don't think most people have seen one, let alone two, to form a strong enough opinion.

DJ Kariyaaa

Downie Fan Club
Jan 17, 2010
Plotnikov - age 25, shoots left, plays LW/RW, 6'2", 200lbs. Solid forechecker, decent skater, and can finish. Averaged between 0.6 and 0.65 PPG in the last 3 seasons in the KHL, and has increased in points each season.

Tikhonov - age 27, shoots right, C/RW. 6'2", 185lbs. Physical bottom 6 type of player that brings an element of grit to his game, but can hold his own offensively. Can play all 6 positions in the bottom 6, potentially. 44 points in 82 AHL games, and originally drafted by PHX 28th overall in 2008.

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
Plotnikov - age 25, shoots left, plays LW/RW, 6'2", 200lbs. Solid forechecker, decent skater, and can finish. Averaged between 0.6 and 0.65 PPG in the last 3 seasons in the KHL, and has increased in points each season.

Tikhonov - age 27, shoots right, C/RW. 6'2", 185lbs. Physical bottom 6 type of player that brings an element of grit to his game, but can hold his own offensively. Can play all 6 positions in the bottom 6, potentially. 44 points in 82 AHL games, and originally drafted by PHX 28th overall in 2008.

Ok thanks. Who do you think they each compare to in the NHL?

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Haven't watched much of either, but Plotnikov in particular failed to impress me at the worlds. Shot was very inaccurate and his skating is not at the NHL level. He was physical and decent on the cycle, if we're looking for positives. Could be a good bottom 6 option, especially since he'll be on an ELC, but he'd be out of place in the top 6.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness

Yeah but which one is more Russian?

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Tikhonov is the better skater, has a better 2 way game and good offensive instincts. Plotnikov is more physical, has an ok vision. Tikhonov is better suited for Penguins hockey, so he's the better player in that sense.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Tough to say, one is related to Russian hockey royalty and the other sounds like a Rocky and Bullwinkle villain.
Hands down, Plotnikov is more Russian. Tikhonov grew up in San Jose and Kentucky and was born in Latvia, AKA The Freak's Russia.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Calm down... No Plotnikov's IQ is nowhere near to James Neal. if you wait Neal 2.0, you'll be disappointed.

Not sure if he was sarcastic though, hopefully he was, in response to a negative moron who labeled us as being unrealistic for (gasp!) thinking Plotnikov could potentially be a good 3rd liner that can patch for Malkin.

This said, Plotnikov could be as mean as Neal if not more, without the stupid selfish penalties.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Not sure if he was sarcastic though, hopefully he was, in response to a negative moron who labeled us as being unrealistic for (gasp!) thinking Plotnikov could potentially be a good 3rd liner that can patch for Malkin.

This said, Plotnikov could be as mean as Neal if not more, without the stupid selfish penalties.

Neal isn't mean, he's just dumb. Still like the guy as a player, but randomly kneeing a dude in the head and then not throwing another hit for 10 games isn't mean.

If Plotnikov could be a grittier Fedotenko I'd be thrilled.

Gerin

Aug 15, 2010
British Columbia
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=15235
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=17760

Personally I'd say Plotnikov has more potential and abilities, but Tikhonov is a safer pick up with North American experience in both NHL and AHL should be a quicker/easier transition. It took Tarasenko and Kuzya awhile to play to their full abilities, could be a tough transition for Plotnikov and as we seen before doesn't always work out. I also heard they ideally want to play together so maybe you can grab both..?

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Calm down... No Plotnikov's IQ is nowhere near to James Neal. if you wait Neal 2.0, you'll be disappointed.

I never said that he was Neal, but he could show some similarities and in that sense replace Neal (not the production, but the role.) He's a better fit than Comeau.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal

Again, I'm not labelling Plotnikov as the next Neal, but he's certainly a better fit than the other wingers that we have at the moment

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=15235
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=17760

Personally I'd say Plotnikov has more potential and abilities, but Tikhonov is a safer pick up with North American experience in both NHL and AHL should be a quicker/easier transition. It took Tarasenko and Kuzya awhile to play to their full abilities, could be a tough transition for Plotnikov and as we seen before doesn't always work out. I also heard they ideally want to play together so maybe you can grab both..?

I'm hoping his playing style will make his on ice transition more smooth than it might be otherwise. Malkin can maybe make his off ice transition a bit easier as well.

Another familiar face thats used to living over here in Tikhonov could help in that regard as well, if they choose to go that route.

Last edited:

m302291

Jun 2, 2015
so they're moving Sutter, and its probably for a pick then right?

i'd imagine at least to start the season Plotnikov is RW to Malkin and Tikhonov centers the third?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
so they're moving Sutter, and its probably for a pick then right?

i'd imagine at least to start the season Plotnikov is RW to Malkin and Tikhonov centers the third?

I really hope Plotnikov isn't plan A for Geno's wing. Let him start on the 3rd line and bring in 2 guys who have proven they can play in the top 6. If we can't find someone, let Plot give it a shot. But we shouldn't consider one of those spots filled yet.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Is this the new (and improved) Poison?

2732082_orig.jpg

They look Latvian to me. Not sure what we should do about this. Other than not sign the Latvian.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I don't trust Latvians, too many of them have weird plural names. You never know how many of them there really are. Arturs refers to one person? Yeah, not falling for that again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad