News Article: Plekanec and the Habs Penalty Kill

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/588022

This article is pretty interesting... took it from the main board. the author shows his points with images and GIFs. It really shows how dominant Plekanec is on the Penalty Kill.

Imagine if the habs were actually to lose pleky? Can't happen

When down a man, no center in hockey took more D-zone draws, and Plekanec did it against the league’s best power-play units. Of the eight centers who took at least 200 defensive zone faceoffs short-handed last season (as in, the elite penalty killers), Plekanec had the lowest on-ice goals-against rate by a healthy margin over Patrice Bergeron, who was second.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Plekanec should be way higher in the selke votes every year. I guess he's not a sexy choice for some reason.

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
Plekanec should be way higher in the selke votes every year. I guess he's not a sexy choice for some reason.

Toews and Bergeron have the Derek Jeter effect. Overrated by virtue of being on a title winning team.

Not to say they're slouches, but they're not as good as they're made out to be.

TheLastShift

Canada
Nov 14, 2007
Toews and Bergeron have the Derek Jeter effect. Overrated by virtue of being on a title winning team.

Not to say they're slouches, but they're not as good as they're made out to be.

seriously... as much as I love the Habs and will back our players to the end of the earth... you can't put Plekanec's name is the same category as those two players.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
seriously... as much as I love the Habs and will back our players to the end of the earth... you can't put Plekanec's name is the same category as those two players.

...so even though both the stats & the eye test show that Pleks is one of the best defensive centres in the League and still manages to put up around 50 points a year, he shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath with the "Selke" crew??...:dunno:

bigtimehockeyfan999*

Tomas-Plekanec.png

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
He won't be #1 in defensive zone draws taken this year if malholtra stays healthy.

It feels good to have Manny on board. Last year, we would have been royally screwed if pleky went down to injury. This year, at least malholtra can fill in for some of the defensive burden.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I'm fine with Plekanec never winning the selke, but he should definitely be in the conversation far more than he is. It's ridiculous when you look at some of the guys who get more votes than him.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Plekanec has been my favorite Hab for years and Saku & Markov running a close 2nd most of that time. Now of course Price, Pacioretty & Subban are reaching those lofty heights with their consistent play, all very determined to be the best at their positions.:handclap::handclap::handclap:

HatTricK09

Jun 23, 2012
A lot of people underrates Plekanec's value and what he brings to us. So many people wants to see him traded...
I really love the guy, he is the perfect 2C, on a very good contract

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
A lot of people underrates Plekanec's value and what he brings to us. So many people wants to see him traded...

He's very important to the habs right now. But Plekanec will be 34-35 when he's next up for renewal.

How much will he be worth for the remainder of his career as opposed to how much he'd be worth in a deadline deal and how much of a step back we would take if we traded him.

It's not a no brainer.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Not sure about the people who want to trade him? :shakehead
But I do know the coach gave him #1 minutes in the post season. Another poster was clearly pleased with our acquisition of a MM and i concur. If anything Thomas gets over utilized and his play suffers.
His -7 in the PO's didn't please anyone as he clearly played well but...
Better support players this year better time management Selke why not?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
But does he play "tough minutes", that's the question. :rolleyes:

Two schools of thought on that one.
He doesn't play the hard wear you down checking game but many Selke winners have a similar style.
He does play the hard cerebral minutes if I am permitted to describe them as such and his offensive output is often seen as a bonus. It has been claimed that shut down minutes are easy minutes but i don't put much credence in that theory,

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
cool read.

checkout the Leafs one on the SWARM.

I hope MT will change it up cuz it sucks. 2 D-men behind the net makes baby jesus cry.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Hab fans don't be so quick to jettison this guy. Plekanec is one of the best, most consistent two way centers in the league! We are fortunate to have him!

Ineverplayedthegame

Sep 25, 2013
The Selke trophy used to actually pay attention to defensive ability. Now it's voted by what superstar has the most hustle.

I think advanced stats will fix the Selke vote.

I think that the fact that the players who are usually matched up against stars are usually other stars. The league is becoming a power on power league, it wasn't when third liners won the Selke.

I do think it's a reputation award (except for the Art Ross and Richards, they all are)but the Selke winners tend to be who advanced stats like as the league's best two way guys. Even if, some years, the winner isn't THE best two way player that specific season.

One thing, defensive abilities, increasing or decreasing, usually takes a while to get noticed. For example, Kesler winning the Selke in 2011 when he should have won in 2010. Bergeron should have probably won it in 2011, he won it the following year instead. Plekanec just got his highest finish in Selke voting but he deserved it more in the past than he did this year.

I actually think that there are some players known as more offensive minded who have amazing two way impact who are never gonna get Selke hype because they don't have the rep. Someone like Joe Thornton should have being mentionned far more often than he was this year for example (he shouldn't have won but he was up there).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad