Please Grade Dubas on today's Free Agent Pickups.

Give Kyle Dubas a letter grade on this day.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Dumbass did nothing! Lost N Foligno after trading a first rounder! Gave up Hyman for nothing even when he was offered something by Edmonton and added who the great P Mrazek to tend goal? Hell I would have just brought up J Woll and then Dumbass let youngster JD Greenway slip away to Boston for nary a pick!Well done Dumbass you are showing your true colours

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
Incomplete. Let's see what happens between now and training camp.

I considered giving him an F, because he did not sign any top four RHD for $2 million AAV or less. There were many posters who said that Holl should have been let go in the expansion draft because he would be easy to replace. I did see that Ceci got 3.25, but did not see the multiple good options that should have been available.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
C Had to get a goalie, signed a legit 1a but he cost a lot. Needed a center and got the most mundane center possible. Bunting ain’t as good as some are suggesting, the 10 goals in 20 games was a fluke, but he wasn’t expensive either. He would be a harmless failure.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
OK with Bunting and Gabriel. Team still weaker than last year. As for the rest, the soft just got softer. Need tough hard-working defensively responsible players who can play a regular shift and Dubas failed with that again. Overpaid on the goalie. Why didn't he trade for Nedeljkovic who is younger and better and signed for a 3M cap hit? Dubas still unable to recognize where the weaknesses lie and make the proper corrections. And WTF with Ho-Stink?

Last edited:

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
I'm surprised by the people who don't like Mrazek. Of the contracts signed today for goalies - which do you guys prefer to Mrazek?

Its incomplete because they still have around 2.7 for another forward but I like Mrazek/Bunting. Wasn't a fan of Kampf because it cuts into the remaining capspace for a forward but if they can convince a middle 6 lw to come with what they got then they hit everything I was asking for anyway (1B, two middle six wingers)

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Bunting was a very shrewd signing. I feel a little better about the Mrazek signing after seeing what the other goalies went for. Campbell is likely going to be 4M+ next season barring injury

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
We are far from done, and there are still plenty of quality veteran UFAs available that can be signed for close to the league minimum.

It's too early to grade Dubas overall, but based on today's acquisitions, namely Mrazek and Bunting, I'd give him a B.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Bunting = A. What a pest, standing in front of it, getting hit, still scoring, with a percantige. Wow. Young and cheap sucka too. What a catch by the fish. Our hero and a fan favourite.

Kurtis Gabriel and Mikayla Demaiter = A, this duo will bring the energy. So sexy. Gabriel will talk to all of them, hit them hard and still fight hard. He is so hard and what confidence. Key. In every game they attend to.

Kämpf = D. A weird add on. Brings our PK together. What a fool. A tool really. I'm glad of it.

Mrazek = D. Our Jack is the number one and has been told so. Written. Mrazek if stays healthy, will play like 20-30 games and win some. He aaaight, tight.

Ho-Sang = F. Sang the wrong note. Awful and useless. Will not bring US together.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
I wouldn't say Foligno was ever really part of the team. Zero Goals. We didn't bring him in for his passing skill. I guess he had that 1 dumb fight with the wrong guy.
Ya.
Foligno would be our # 1 Left Winger.
Dubas = Moron.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
I wouldn't say Foligno was ever really part of the team. Zero Goals. We didn't bring him in for his passing skill. I guess he had that 1 dumb fight with the wrong guy.
Well.
He was part of the Team.
Wasn’t he?
Pretty sure I saw him on the ice , in a Leaf Sweater.
That’s part of the Team.
Right?
Could have kept him.
Good enough for the Bruins.
Not good enough for the Leafs.
Wonder Boy is a complete disaster.
Lost Bogo/Andy/Hyman/Foligno and brought in an ahl group and a B goalie.
This clown has gotta go.
He’s already ruined our Team.
Brutal.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I think it would be fair to give him a C for overall impact on the roster.

Mrazek is an upgrade on what Andersen had shown the last couple of years and based on overall salary, it's good value based on other contracts given out at this time.

The initial reaction with Kampf was a bit confusing, but after reading from other posters and additional reports, he's the type of player that the Leafs need. Forget what he puts up in points. The Leafs have enough players that will score. They need a shutdown line. My guess is they use Bunting - Kampf - Mikheyev as the shutdown line. Next to zero offense from them, but have the other teams top line being pushed.

Still waiting for a couple more moves, so we'll see what comes from the remaining FA.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I wrote something similar in another thread...

But what did everybody expect? The leafs are in cap hell due to the unprecedented dramatic overpayments and flat cap. If I rate Dubas overall as a gm, I give him an F-. But looking at JUST today, what could he really do? He had no cap space for anything other than scraps.

He needed a backup/tandem goalie, and he got one. I actually really really like our goalie tandem. Our D is fine for next year. And Dubas took what he could get for cheap 3rd/4th line plugs.

Dubas was ok today. And he was also good during last years free agent day. Free agent day is probably where Dubas is best as a gm. Never a wasteful horrible contract. I'm clearly a critic of his, but just giving credit where credit is due.

Reactions: CaptainCrunch17

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
C

Seeing some of the deals that have been given out to role players around the league, I think we did OK. Bunting was a good deal. Don't know what to think about Kampf. The other signings are just for depth purposes or the Marlies.

Mrazek was a decent signing. Hes a 1B making 3.8M. Thats less than what Bernier got and can't be any worse than Freddy's play the last season and a half. The guy battles in big games though. We've seen it on the world stage and in the Canes deep playoff run. Running a tandem of him and Soup to battle it out could be good.

Overall I dont see us as being better than we were last year but the signings themselves are OK, so I give it a C. Its only the first day though and we could still see the likes of Kerfoot, Mikheyev etc traded as well as some more signings.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I'll reluctantly give him a B, but it's tough to work within the salary mess he put himself into so in that respect and on its own these signings are more like a C.

Throw enough minimum salary guys at a wall and some might stick who knows?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I wrote something similar in another thread...

But what did everybody expect? The leafs are in cap hell due to the unprecedented dramatic overpayments and flat cap. If I rate Dubas overall as a gm, I give him an F-. But looking at JUST today, what could he really do? He had no cap space for anything other than scraps.

He needed a backup/tandem goalie, and he got one. I actually really really like our goalie tandem. Our D is fine for next year. And Dubas took what he could get for cheap 3rd/4th line plugs.

Dubas was ok today. And he was also good during last years free agent day. Free agent day is probably where Dubas is best as a gm. Never a wasteful horrible contract.

After seeing what D went for today, I think the Seattle/Pens dealing made sense.

He overpaid Marner and Matthews, but the flat cap isn’t really on him.

Reactions: banks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad