Please, get Pacioretty off the half-board role on the power play.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Yes, you read it right.

Fans, coaches, players, everybody is trying to figure out why we can't get the power play going, and the reason is this: We can't sustain a long sequence of puck posession when Pacioretty is playing the half-board playmaker role.

The Habs have had killer power-plays for atleast a good decade. From Koivu to Kovalev to Cammalleri, we've always had a leader that could control the play, that had enough vision to know when to shoot or when to dish out a beautiful cross-ice pass, that is not Pacioretty.

If anything, yesterday's game proved my point even more. Did you guys notice where Pacioretty scored his 2 Goals? He was in the middle of the ice waiting for a chance to shoot the puck, not at his usual spot. Atleast 3,4 times a game on the power-play he makes a brutal pass that we didn't see from the man playing half-board before him. That spot should be reserved to Galchenyuk, Desharnais and even Plekanec although he's really.good in the high player role.

Let's get this straight, I love Pacioretty (just check my freackin username) and I think he's a top 10 player in the whole damn league 5 on 5. I just think that if he's not willing to play closer to the net when we're on the power-play, we should put other players instead. Half board puck control is not one of his strong points.

Oh and with that all being said, I would love for somebody to prove me wrong. I'm the kind of dude that loves find solutions instead of firing the whole coaching staff.

Last edited:

malton

Feb 17, 2009
there are about 7 players that need to be off the PP before Pac

Bob Cole

Tom ******* Brady
Oct 30, 2009
Confused-Jacksonville-Jaguars-fan-in-stands.gif

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
What is everyone's problem with admiting that powerplay is not good since the current set of players????

IT DOESN'T MAKE PACIORETTY A BAD PLAYER! The role doesn't fit him there, that's all.

Apr 28, 2010
What is everyone's problem with admiting that powerplay is not good since the current set of players????

IT DOESN'T MAKE PACIORETTY A BAD PLAYER! The role doesn't fit him there, that's all.

Then you should've said "change his role" and not to get him off the PP.

Everybody knows our PP sucks.

ninjagaiden

Oct 1, 2014
i see you're saying he should be in the middle of the ice and not the playmaker, you might have a point there

powerplay was pretty brutal tonight again and the team had plenty of chances

get that pp rolling consistently is such a huge priority for this team i think

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
I actually agree with this.

Well, not really. Pacioretty shouldn't be off the power play, but Dan Lacroix should be fired. There's no way this team should be 24th (and that's after yesterday's game 3 goals) with the guys we have. Posters here want DD off the powerplay, but he's actually someone who who should thrive in these situations. The problem is after a year we still haven't found a way to enter the zone and benefit from elite players at the point and snipers like MaxPac.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
I actually get what you're saying.

Maybe they could try him on the point with Markov where Pacioretty would hang back, cycle the puck, then rush in a little, get passes from the wingers and take shots in motion instead of doing the static deal along the board.

But that's risky defensively, you need the guy that passes to him to cover for him.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I got your gist. Cannot have DD and PAP on the powerplay. Whomever you out out there has to be able to score.

Neither of those guys do. With Eller and Sekac sitting on the bench. It's a travesty.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Pacioretty doesn't need to get off the PP, he needs to be in the slot... It's pretty simple.
l.................67..................l
l........O...................O.......l
l.........79...............76.......l
---------------------------------

Pretty simple... Big body in front of the net, opens up the cross ice from Chucky to Markov or Markov to Chuky. Opens up the backdoor for Markov, gives us a real shooter in the slot.

Alternatively,

l__________________27_____ l
l................l__l.................l
l.................81.................l
l..........................67.........l
l........O...................O.......l
l.........79...............76.......l
---------------------------------

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
If the strategy is to dump and chase to enter the zone, then your forwards shouldn't be DD, Gallagher, Parenteau or MaxPac.

We usually lose our battles, then after a minute someone tries to enter the zone on his own (usually Subban), with the 4 other guys waiting at the blue line. Then we lose the puck again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad