Please don't trade Eberle !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Personally, im done with him. He is way to soft defensively.

This.

If you think Eberle can score with McDavid, imagine with Stamkos could do :nod: or more realistically, Okposo.

Don't think the Oilers can move Eberle until the free agent interview period though.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
How many goals against come as a result of his poor defensive zone coverage or inability to get the puck out of his zone when it comes up his wall.

Yeah Im not sure we are really ahead with this guy! First on my list to go! Has been for years.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
Elliot Friedman posted in his AMA on Reddit yesterday that Eberle is not being traded at the deadline.

Esko

Sep 23, 2015
What I find interesting among Oiler fans is that there isn't a general consensus of who we should trade. I think we as a fanbase have to realize that we have about 7 forwards (with perhaps an 8th forward incoming) that have the ability to play on the top two lines.

McDavid
Hall
Draisaitl
RNH
Eberle
Pouliot
Yakupov
1st Round Draft Pick in 2016

Such a gross amount of skilled players but it hasn't equated to anything. Frankly I could care less which one of the above mentioned individuals is traded (minus the savior McJesus of course) because we have so many alike players.

For me it's a domino effect- once we improve our defense significantly and spend less time in our zone defending on a game to game basis, all of the fowards mentioned above will have more time on attack which should create more scoring. What I see with the Oilers right now is that if our forwards aren't DOMINATING the game we don't have a hope in hell since we're defending constantly. I would worry less about who we are trading away and worry more about who we can acquire to make an impact on our blueline so that we can let our skilled forwards play to their strengths.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
What I find interesting among Oiler fans is that there isn't a general consensus of who we should trade. I think we as a fanbase have to realize that we have about 7 forwards (with perhaps an 8th forward incoming) that have the ability to play on the top two lines.

McDavid
Hall
Draisaitl
RNH
Eberle
Pouliot
Yakupov
1st Round Draft Pick in 2016

The way I look at it is:

C depth is important and we don't have that big of Cs compared to other Western Conference teams. We'll need to keep our C's so we have more line-matching options. Draisaitl, McDavid and RNH stay.

Anyone with a bit more size who aren't soft also don't really have to leave: Hall and Pouliot.

Leaves Eberle, Yakupov and the pick. If the pick gives us a chance to get Laine, then hard to not take it.

It's about getting the size we are looking for while maintaining the skill Chiarelli likes.

If the pick isn't going to be Laine, it should be moved for a D-man. Eberle/Yak/Reinhart and MAYBE Nurse (depending on who it is) can be bandied for the other D.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Chemistry to me implies that both players benefit from each other. This to me is more a case of McDavid making Eberle look good. I don't think McDavid would be any worse off if Eberle wasn't on his line.

In fact, I think McDavid would do better with a player that was strong along the boards and could get him the puck more even if that player wasn't a great finisher.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I dont buy the Eberle \McDavid chemistry..
Pouliot \McDavid has more chemistry IMO.. Eberle is a good scorer but isnt an ideal linemate for McDavid. Carries the puck way too much.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
It's easy to ................???

It's easy to figure out..........if the pick is one of the top 3 picks.....than keep the pick (Mathews, Laine, or Pujavi).

If the pick is lower......than trade it.......I would trade number one overall but it depends on WHO you are getting back (has to be a star defenceman).

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
It's easy to figure out..........if the pick is one of the top 3 picks.....than keep the pick (Mathews, Laine, or Pujavi).

If the pick is lower......than trade it.......I would trade number one overall but it depends on WHO you are getting back (has to be a star defenceman).

I wouldnt..
Rather trade Hall than Matthews.

1.Makes McDavid THE leader.
2.Trade value would be about the same
3. Hall didnt click with McD... One of Mtthews or Drai might

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If that pick is anything in the top 3, and we trade it, there better be someone the ilk of OEL coming back.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
I'm fine with trading Eberle. Yak has been better with McDavid honestly. Especially in the defensive end.

But we have to get a legitimate top 4 NHL D back, even if he makes some decent coin. No bottom pairing guy, no picks and prospects.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
I'm fine with trading Eberle. Yak has been better with McDavid honestly. Especially in the defensive end.

But we have to get a legitimate top 4 NHL D back, even if he makes some decent coin. No bottom pairing guy, no picks and prospects.

I oddly as that sounds I think that's true.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
For the right price he should be gone in a flash. Team needs someone who can move the puck up the ice to McDavid so he doesn't have to do the heavily lifting all the way from his own zone.

A better puck moving dman would do much more for McDavid's game than Eberle will

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

I'd rather trade Eberle and keep Yak. Higher trade value and more cap leaving. Yak was pulling it together with McDavid, the effort is there and I'm confident that Yak can flourish with McD and a veteran two way winger who can kind of mentor Yak like Roy did. Loui Eriksson would be ideal for those two.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I'd rather trade Eberle and keep Yak. Higher trade value and more cap leaving. Yak was pulling it together with McDavid, the effort is there and I'm confident that Yak can flourish with McD and a veteran two way winger who can kind of mentor Yak like Roy did. Loui Eriksson would be ideal for those two.

Well said.

The only thing I would add is we are basically getting nothing back for Yak at the moment.

Ebs makes the most sense as an old core piece to go. Soft like butter.

Hall is really good. Only trade him for a massive return. Nuge plays a more valuable position than Ebs.

If Chia decides it's in everyone's best interest for Yak to go, I would still get as much value as possible for Eberle.

Someone mentioned Hall and Eberle being bff's. Maybe Eberle being traded has the added benefit of being a wake up call for Hall.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
They shouldn't trade Eberle. People saying Yak was as good with McDavid as Eberle is are absolutely out of their minds.

The Oilers should be able to keep Eberle, RNH, Hall, McDavid, and Draisaitl, all while being a successful team. Or replace one of those players with their top pick from the upcoming draft and see what you can get. But the Oilers have absolutely no one on the team that can replace Eberle (or Hall for that matter) at the moment. Literally the only forwards worth a damn on this team are the ones I listed above + Pouliot 50% of the time. Kassian could potentially be another, the rest are borderline useless.

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
Well said.

The only thing I would add is we are basically getting nothing back for Yak at the moment.

Ebs makes the most sense as an old core piece to go. Soft like butter.

Hall is really good. Only trade him for a massive return. Nuge plays a more valuable position than Ebs.

If Chia decides it's in everyone's best interest for Yak to go, I would still get as much value as possible for Eberle.

Someone mentioned Hall and Eberle being bff's. Maybe Eberle being traded has the added benefit of being a wake up call for Hall.

And that's what we need. If we hope for a game changer D, we need to entertain the idea of trading Hall. Yakupov or RNH won't do it. I prefer to keep Hall, of course, but it's naive to think we'll get some amazing return on under-performing assets. Draisaitl should also be very much in play. His value is as high as ever since he joined the Oilers.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
They shouldn't trade Eberle. People saying Yak was as good with McDavid as Eberle is are absolutely out of their minds.

The Oilers should be able to keep Eberle, RNH, Hall, McDavid, and Draisaitl, all while being a successful team. Or replace one of those players with their top pick from the upcoming draft and see what you can get. But the Oilers have absolutely no one on the team that can replace Eberle (or Hall for that matter) at the moment. Literally the only forwards worth a damn on this team are the ones I listed above + Pouliot 50% of the time. Kassian could potentially be another, the rest are borderline useless.

We gotta move some of them to improve the blue line, just the way it is. It really comes down to we have a better chance of solidifying the wing position in UFA with veteran wingers then we do at the defense position. Guys like Eriksson, Ladd, Backes, Lucic, Okposo, would all compliment some of our uber talented C's.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
When Ebs is playing well he's darn good. The problem is he's too soft. Mostly on the defensive end, but even offensively. He can't win a board battle to save his life. I'm not going to be too hard on him though. 90% of the team can't win a board battle as well. :laugh:

As as been floating around for a while now. McDavid is the only untouchable player. As painful as it is to say, if they can get a great return for Hall go for it. More often than not over the years he's the only player who wants to win so bad. He'd bust is tail off while everyone else just stood and watched. Let him go to a team that can actually play the game of hockey and flourish. :(

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
From my limited viewings of Oilers game these past few games it looks like Eberle is starting to be harder on the puck and is starting to do the right things. Still carrying the puck way too much for my liking but has been decent away from the puck.

May not be the ideal linemate for McD but I wouldnt call him a floater based on the last 10games.

edit: 12pts and interestingly 10 hits in the last 10 GP.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
We were just offered Doughty for Eberle but Chia turned it down because he just read this post. Thanks a lot man!

I'd love to see Chai hold a press conference on April 1st just to bring this up.

"I had a shot at Doughty. They asked for Ebs and a 3rd rounder and I said I wouldn't add to Ebs, so it turned out to be a no go."

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The only reason Eberle is a prime trading target over Yak is not Yak's great play or potential. It's that you can get something very good that we desperately need for Eberle, and would receive next to nothing for Yak. It's the only thing keeping him here at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad