Player Discussion: PLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I'm comparing him to two of the best for illustrative purposes (although both Toews and Bergeron had very impressive offensive moments as well). The bottom line is that he's a solid 200 foot guy, and that's going to affect his offensive stats. He's not Guy Carbonneau, but he's also not a cherry picker who's going to rack up more points instead of guarding a forward ten feet from his goalie.

So my main point was that when it comes to contact, you can't base it on points alone with him. I certainly expect him to be closer to a point per game player, and even exceed that, as he develops and as his linemates stop hitting posts (insert laughter here).
points/goals is ultimately what get you paid unless you're a top tier defensive fwd which i don't think dubois is. those guys are more unique (ie: bergeron, toews, stone, kopitar - who are still putting up numbers at or superior to dubois while being the best defensively at their positions)

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
points/goals is ultimately what get you paid unless you're a top tier defensive fwd which i don't think dubois is.
I think at 22 years-old it's way to early to say what he will or won't be. Personally, I think he has what looks like a very high ceiling, especially when you look at his skill-set, his size and his early hockey sense.

Reactions: roccerfeller

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I observe that he spends far more time in the defensive end and takes on more of a defensive role when he plays centre on our team than when he was on the wing with Scheifele and Wheeler.
Players tend to be more conscious of their defensive responsibilities when learning a new system and playing with new players. Mo hasn’t helped him get that comfortable with that at C by flipping him to the wing for a couple games, and the injury didn’t help either. He’s not really a defensive minded player, highly unlikely he comes close to Bergeron or a Toews type. I expect him to start driving play more offensively once he starts understanding his role off the puck a bit more defensively.

Reactions: GNP and portamoral

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I think at 22 years-old it's way to early to say what he will or won't be. Personally, I think he has what looks like a very high ceiling, especially when you look at his skill-set, his size and his early hockey sense.
Agree. He is way ahead of 22 yo Scheifele offensively and already better than him defensively.
While he doesn't have Laine's flair or remarkable shot, he is actually following the script we wrote for Laine--build a complete game from the bottom up, drive possession and utilize your size and strength. The points will follow.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
yeah i don't disagree. but i am not the one labelling him as bergeron or toews :dunno:

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
yeah i don't disagree. but i am not the one labelling him as bergeron or toews :dunno:
Did I literally label him Bergeron and Toews, or did I say that I was using Bergeron and Toews for illustrative purposes? You did label PLD as someone who won't be a high-end point producer.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Did I literally label him Bergeron and Toews, or did I say that I was using Bergeron and Toews for illustrative purposes? You did label PLD as someone who won't be a high-end point producer.
where did i say that? this is what i said.
He's a career 0.66 PPG with a peak season of 27g/61pts so far. i have him pegged around 7M. think he is just below an 8m level player atm. a big season next year at C w/o all the quarantine and off-ice shit, he can easily be worth 8m. I wouldn't call 8m "world-class bad," it'd be an over-pay definitely, but not by much.

what did i say is false? his numbers to date are fact. never said he wouldn't be a high end point producer, i said i wouldn't be comfortable giving him 8m/year until he is a high-end pt producer, which he could be easily by the next time his contract is up for renewal.

actually when the early talks of him for laine came abouts, i said he's already in Scheifele's ball-park for 5v5 production, and on a better PP filled with stars like the Jets, we could see the overall numbers increase to surpass his CBJ totals.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
where did i say that? this is what i said.

what did i say is false? his numbers to date are fact. never said he wouldn't be a high end point producer, i said i wouldn't be comfortable giving him 8m/year until he is a high-end pt producer, which he could be easily by the next time his contract is up for renewal.

actually when the early talks of him for laine came abouts, i said he's already in Scheifele's ball-park for 5v5 production, and on a better PP filled with stars like the Jets, we could see the overall numbers increase to surpass his CBJ totals.
I apologize if I misread. The message I took was that you though PLD would not be a player worthy of 8 million a year, instead of not being that player now. However, if we need to risk a long term contract on someone who may become that kind of player when those kinds of players get more than 8 million a year, I'd be willing to take that risk with PLD sooner rather than later.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Agree. He is way ahead of 22 yo Scheifele offensively and already better than him defensively.
While he doesn't have Laine's flair or remarkable shot, he is actually following the script we wrote for Laine--build a complete game from the bottom up, drive possession and utilize your size and strength. The points will follow.

Only commenting re Scheifele.

The only reason Scheifele didn't produced more early is he was held back (his offense) or maybe better term, slow cooked him to built his d game, face off and to bulk up.
He was also playing behind
Little and Ollie!!

Otherwise he would have produced more.
Given more offensive opportunity.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
One place he needs to improve is in the faceoff circle.

Career 44.0%

CBJ - FOW 1308 FOL 1657 - 44.1%
WPG - FOW 13 FOL 23 - 36.1%

This is even worse than Scheifele who has been career - 45.5%

Both these guys should be watching whatever Stastny does. Career 54%

Reactions: SLAYER and Fairview

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
One place he needs to improve is in the faceoff circle.

Career 44.0%

CBJ - FOW 1308 FOL 1657 - 44.1%
WPG - FOW 13 FOL 23 - 36.1%

This is even worse than Scheifele who has been career - 45.5%

Both these guys should be watching whatever Stastny does. Career 54%

Yeah, it seems like it’s an area the Jets as a team have always sorta struggled with. With the dedication and drive Scheifele has to improving his game, I’m surprised he’s not better.

Wasn’t his skills coach Oates an ace of sorts?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
He's not an 8M$ player. Unless we want another world class bad contract. He needs to make significant improvements before I'd entertain the idea of any long term deal.
Maybe not right now but he's tracking that way.

More and more in the NHL contracts are being awarded for future potential and less on past performance reward

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I think Chevy will wait it out a bit and evaluate PLD, but if he performs, he'll try to lock him up early like he did with Scheifele, Connor, and Ehlers. All great contracts for the Jets.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Only commenting re Scheifele.

The only reason Scheifele didn't produced more early is he was held back (his offense) or maybe better term, slow cooked him to built his d game, face off and to bulk up.
He was also playing behind
Little and Ollie!!

Otherwise he would have produced more.
Given more offensive opportunity.

Lol, I am one of Scheifele's biggest fans but he wasn't held back.
His nickname was Bambi in the early years for a reason and he couldn't hold a candle to Little.

Last edited:

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
His nickname was Bambi in the early years for a reason and he couldn't hold a candle to Little.
He is a very unique case for sure. He was BAD. I had been a critic, but am more than happy to eat crow as he is unquestionably elite now.

Reactions: Jets 31

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
That is why i wrote slow cooked.
If you think Schiefele was given the offensive green light from the first few years of his career.
Learning the D game first.
His offense got nothing to do with him beung Bambi. He could always put points on the board.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
He reminds me more of Chad Kilger, good size, hands, good skater, basically good at everything but the "give a shit meter" is just a bit low.
I don't know about that. I feel like guys who produce when it matters truly do give a shit. You need guys who can elevate when the game is on the line and in the playoffs and I think we've already seen that with him

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He reminds me more of Chad Kilger, good size, hands, good skater, basically good at everything but the "give a shit meter" is just a bit low.

I think that is due to him still getting used to the team. He was a very high motor player as a junior player and for Columbus. I I.agibe we start to see more of that as he gets more comfortable.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
When I look at his goals from last year it seems a good chunk of them were individual efforts. power forward type goals.

Not sure how the Jets can best use this type of player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad