Player Discussion: PLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The problem is Kyle isn't fast enough with the puck on his stick especially through the neutral zone. He may skate fast but he doesn't carry the puck with speed well or tilt the ice. PLD plays allot faster than Kyle or Mark with the puck which is one of the reasons why he tilts the ice IMO. In Murat's article there were some nice isolation video showing how PLD has speed that backs off defenders and really only Ehlers has that speed on our team IMO of course.

Connor is fast with the puck on his stick, he just plays a more west/south game when coming through the zone and attacking. He doesn't have the size like PLD to break through the seams or the pure speed like Ehlers to cut through but he has perhaps the best pure hands on the team coupled with good speed to weave through.

PLD is good don't get me wrong but his skating isn't on the level of Ehlers or Connor. It's a lot closer to Scheifele than it is to either of those two.

Reactions: Jet

RCAFguy

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
Connor is fast with the puck on his stick, he just plays a more west/south game when coming through the zone and attacking. He doesn't have the size like PLD to break through the seams or the pure speed like Ehlers to cut through but he has perhaps the best pure hands on the team coupled with good speed to weave through.

PLD is good don't get me wrong but his skating isn't on the level of Ehlers or Connor. It's a lot closer to Scheifele than it is to either of those two.
PLD is faster than Sheifele. Full stop.

RRenegade

Jul 13, 2016
Winnipeg
Here is my scouting report (based mostly off highlight packages) (2021 games not included):
1. He is a Leaf-Killer! (I hate the Leaves)
2. He will be a physical force, he is one of the NHL league leaders in getting hit = he goes into the dirty areas. (This is especially important for the playoffs)
3. He has very good speed and can create separation from defenders. (Will look very good with 81 or 27)
4. He can gain the offensive zone on a similar level to 27 & 81 (Top 15 in NHL)
5. He has already far exceeded the NHL scoring and GP that Scheifele had at his age. (no Bambi!)
6. He will drive play and is not shy about going to the net ( Net front on PP?)
7. He has a really good stick (Be prepared for PoMo to utter this a million times)
8. He is very strong on the puck and wins so many puck battles! Also protects the puck well.(Unlike #29)
9. It seems he has been sheltered defensively by Torts so his defensive game remains to be seen but he seems to have a good reputation.
10. I can't wait to see him in action already and am probably expecting way too much already!

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
The problem is Kyle isn't fast enough with the puck on his stick especially through the neutral zone. He may skate fast but he doesn't carry the puck with speed well or tilt the ice. PLD plays allot faster than Kyle or Mark with the puck which is one of the reasons why he tilts the ice IMO. In Murat's article there were some nice isolation video showing how PLD has speed that backs off defenders and really only Ehlers has that speed on our team IMO of course.
I was just about to type the same thing about Connor. Connor plays a little scared in open ice with the puck. Almost like he's afraid to get hit.

RCAFguy

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
I was just about to type the same thing about Connor. Connor plays a little scared in open ice with the puck. Almost like he's afraid to get hit.
Or when Connor is on the forecheck. He pumps his arms a million miles and hour but seems to get nowhere fast, and almost never gets to the puck first. o_O

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

Kyle is not a play driver through the neutral zone - he's always looking for a target to pass off and that target is usually the center.
If he does decide to take it in, he's dumping at the blue line and chasing it down.
This all comes from what he was asked to do when playing with Scheif and Wheels - that was the game plan.

If the ask changes, he has the skill and speed to adapt to whatever the line makeup call for.
Watch the game plan change for each of the top 6 as we mix it up and add anther really good, play driving center.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Darn, all his interviews are making me like him
Sounds like he's friends with Leon Gawanke on the Moose?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think that’s optimal:
X-Scheifele-Ehlers
Connor-PLD-X
X-Stastny-Wheeler
Perreault-Lowry-X

The X’s can vary, and can even give Perfetti a shot in a sheltered scoring role here or there.

I think the Jets are likely going to want to keep Lowry in a 3C role. Both for the purposes of more ice time and because he's playing well there.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Should have a read on the Jets' initial lines with PLD on Sunday.

This is not what I expect, but what I'd like:

Stastny-Scheifele-Ehlers (hate to take Copp off, but he's needed elsewhere. Stastny can support Scheifele)
Connor-PLD-Copp (Connor and PLD get the most reliable forward to support them, and Maurice hinted Copp could play RW)
Perreault-Lowry-Wheeler (Perreault and Wheeler usually play well together, and Lowry is at the top of his game)
Harkins-Lewis-Appleton (lots of speed, size and smarts, along with the PK)

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Should have a read on the Jets' initial lines with PLD on Sunday.

This is not what I expect, but what I'd like:

Stastny-Scheifele-Ehlers (hate to take Copp off, but he's needed elsewhere. Stastny can support Scheifele)
Connor-PLD-Copp (Connor and PLD get the most reliable forward to support them, and Maurice hinted Copp could play RW)
Perreault-Lowry-Wheeler (Perreault and Wheeler usually play well together, and Lowry is at the top of his game)
Harkins-Lewis-Appleton (lots of speed, size and smarts, along with the PK)

I think I like Gus' game a bit more in the limited sample size than Harkins. He just seems to play with a bit more tenacity and skill in the corners. Harkins is a better skater though.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think I like Gus' game a bit more in the limited sample size than Harkins. He just seems to play with a bit more tenacity and skill in the corners. Harkins is a better skater though.
Gus was much better tonight than he has been. I think he'll be good, but right now I think Harkins edges him out for a spot in the line-up.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Gus was much better tonight than he has been. I think he'll be good, but right now I think Harkins edges him out for a spot in the line-up.

I'd like to see more from both of them. Vez looks alright too. I think we can safely give all of these kids some ice time and not feel bad about it. It's a really solid problem to have, though when Dubois gets here there will be less ice time to go around and one less spot as well. At least I'm comfortable letting Perreault and Stastny walk as long as we can bring back Copp and Lowry, we should have plenty of bottom 6 kids looking to earn a spot.

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
My impression over the last couple games has been that there have been serious conversations between Maurice, Wheeler, and Scheifele.
It seems that Wheeler has accepted that his play hasn't been up to par and is also accepting a reduced role as he fights hard to find his game.
Scheifele has had two in a row where is game at both ends of the rink has been improving and he seems to have found his jump a bit again. I think we all hope that it's a trend and not a blip for him.
With that in mind I could see the top three lines look like this on Tuesday.

Ehlers-Scheifele-Copp
Connor-PLD-Stastny
Perrault-Lowry-Wheeler
--- whoever is still healthy on the 4th line ---

Reactions: Howard Chuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad