Player Discussion: PLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matsaur

May 21, 2014
Winnipeg
There's the optics of it as well that I think they will avoid. 14 days for normal people, 7 days for rich athletes kind of thing. Whether they agree with it or not you'll have people complain.

My company was doing some work at the iceplex this weekend and the head of maintenance told my coworker they were expecting a special guest today... PLD??

Reactions: SLAYER and JetsUK

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
There's the optics of it as well that I think they will avoid. 14 days for normal people, 7 days for rich athletes kind of thing. Whether they agree with it or not you'll have people complain.

The optics have already been destroyed.
The new travel restrictions which don't stop you from traveling to the US but you have to spend 2K on a quarantine hotel when arriving back in Canada is a economic roadblock for the non-wealthy.
If you can throw $2000 away you can go on vacation to the US, if not you can't.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The optics have already been destroyed.
The new travel restrictions which don't stop you from traveling to the US but you have to spend 2K on a quarantine hotel when arriving back in Canada is a economic roadblock for the non-wealthy.
If you can throw $2000 away you can go on vacation to the US, if not you can't.

IMO the optics were destroyed when we had numerous politicians and civil servants travelling all over the place during the holidays, after lecturing the peons to be good and stay home!

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
IMO the optics were destroyed when we had numerous politicians and civil servants travelling all over the place during the holidays, after lecturing the peons to be good and stay home!

I'm in the minority here but I don't think they did anything wrong in traveling as long as they followed public health orders. If they don't want people traveling then don't make it allowable to do so. If they had broken public health orders it would be an issue but they didn't

Loads of people have travelled during the pandemic but if they don't work for the government it doesn't make for a good story in the newspaper.

Reactions: BlakeScheifehlaine

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Well, I know PLD is playing on Feb 13, since SN a just announced a game with the statement “ PLD and the Jets host the Sens” .

Reactions: Jet

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Kekalainen is kind of right. His back was to the wall, his coach is publicly berating and humiliating a player that has openly asked for a trade, it is known Kekalainen wanted Laine and yet the Jets retain salary AND give away a young, top 9 forward.
if he wanted laine so much why didnt he pick up the phone to wpg on dec 31st when dubois told him he wanted to be traded and signed his bridge contract. if he really wanted laine that bad then why risk him not being there when he decides to trade dubois. no way jarco wasnt in on torts berating pld either.

Reactions: roccerfeller

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Sadly it’s exactly what I have come to expect from politicians from every group.

Don't get me wrong, holiday travel is a big one. But I call your holiday travel no no, and raise you an attempt to overthrow a democratically elected government to stay in the big house and have impunity from any and all crimes forever. If you are gonna go wrong, go wrong big! LOL

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
if he wanted laine so much why didnt he pick up the phone to wpg on dec 31st when dubois told him he wanted to be traded and signed his bridge contract. if he really wanted laine that bad then why risk him not being there when he decides to trade dubois. no way jarco wasnt in on torts berating pld either.
There are multiple stories about Kekalainen's interest in Laine including a story about how he desperately tried to trade up with Chevy at draft day. In interviews with Chevy, he stated he had talks with Columbus for months.

I maintain that Laine is the more valuable player due to goal scoring and upside and that Chevy got out negotiated.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
There are multiple stories about Kekalainen's interest in Laine including a story about how he desperately tried to trade up with Chevy at draft day. In interviews with Chevy, he stated he had talks with Columbus for months.

I maintain that Laine is the more valuable player due to goal scoring and upside and that Chevy got out negotiated.

Nobody wanted to pay the price for Laine though. So while his value to us was high it didn't seem to be top 6 C or top 4 D high. Don't mistake Jarmo trying to justify why he did this trade now for him actually wanting it all along. The Jets 100% likely wanted one of Dubois, Jones or Werenski from CBJ and he baulked. We got lucky with this deal, nothing more nothing less.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Nobody wanted to pay the price for Laine though. So while his value to us was high it didn't seem to be top 6 C or top 4 D high. Don't mistake Jarmo trying to justify why he did this trade now for him actually wanting it all along. The Jets 100% likely wanted one of Dubois, Jones or Werenski from CBJ and he baulked. We got lucky with this deal, nothing more nothing less.

I think at the time of the draft Laine was indeed more valuable. But now likely not.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Yup, there was a reason that the pieces of our offer leaked a day prior to Jarmo accepting it. He desperately wanted one of the other suitors to step up and beat it. In the end no one did so he felt he had to accept our offer. He clearly didn't want to and has been doing mental gymnastics to justify it since.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Yup, there was a reason that the pieces of our offer leaked the deal a day prior to Jarmo accepting it. He desperately wanted one of the other suitors to step up and beat it. In the end no one did so he felt he had to accept our offer. He clearly didn't want to and has been doing mental gymnastics to justify it since.
Can you imagine if Chevy traded Scheifele our #1 center for a winger today? People would freak-out on here and i would be one of them. Stastny would be our #1 center........ but we would have some great wingers . :badidea:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yup, there was a reason that the pieces of our offer leaked the deal a day prior to Jarmo accepting it. He desperately wanted one of the other suitors to step up and beat it. In the end no one did so he felt he had to accept our offer. He clearly didn't want to and has been doing mental gymnastics to justify it since.

Yeah he's been in damage control since the trade. I'm betting he was trying to pry Suzuki or Kotkaniemi out of Montreal but they wouldn't budge. Which is actually really surprising from them as Dubois is everything they love in a player.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Can you imagine if Chevy traded Scheifele our #1 center for a winger today? People would freak-out on here and i would be one of them. Stastny would be our #1 center........ but we would have some great wingers . :badidea:

Yeah there's isn't a winger in the NHL I'd trade Scheifele for. Maybe Kucherov but even that I'd have to think about.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Kekalainen is kind of right. His back was to the wall, his coach is publicly berating and humiliating a player that has openly asked for a trade, it is known Kekalainen wanted Laine and yet the Jets retain salary AND give away a young, top 9 forward.

"I'm not so sure I agree 100% with your policework there Lou.."

Yes this was a dance where Jarmo and Chevy were negotiating for a long period of time but that is standard for big deals. Chevy was playing the field and trying to get the best package possible for Laine for quite some time. Chevy knew the current market for Laine when things escalated in Columbus. Yes the heat was turned up on Jarmo but he had 20 teams in the bidding war so he had lots of leverage. Jarmo was grinding hard on teams to squeeze out top value for his asset. My guess is Chevy was also pressing hard to teams that were in the market for Laine giving them a last shot to sweeten the pot for Laine if they wanted him.

At the end of the day none of it really matters to me. Jarmo and Chevy were both selling distressed assets. What is the delta here between this deal and one that might have been slightly better? Is that margin worth getting left with you dick in your hand? At some point we needed to cut bait with Laine and I am pleased with the return personally.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think at the time of the draft Laine was indeed more valuable. But now likely not.

Interesting, I didn't hear anything in and around the draft but I did hear the deals being offered for Laine were underwhelming.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Leaked? I'm pretty sure it was just kinda obvious. Roslo was sitting, Laine was being sat and Dubois should have been sitting.

Unless you've got a tweet that foretold the 26% and the 3rd, I call it a high-percentage guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad