Confirmed with Link: PLD, 3rd to Winnipeg; Laine, Roslovic here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
He can ask for whatever he wants. Unfortunately he wasn't drafted by Toronto.

I don't see CBJ offering more than $8M right now on a max term deal. If I were them, I'd wait and see how he performs. Better to pay $10M for a sure thing if he kills it than risk a $8M albatross contract if he disappoints IMHO.

Agreed. The good thing for both parties (Jarmo & Patty) is that they are not in a hurry. Laine can show what he has got so far and they can sign the deal during or after the late season. Fingers crossed that his back injury is not haunting him.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
As things have settled down, I'm becoming more and more curious about Roslovic. I'm under the impression Jarmo really wanted him and it went beyond hometown kid. Maybe they see something him in that didn't really become apparent in WPG. Fans had high hopes for him, for some he was supposed to be the future 2C, but then years passed by and honestly it never seemed like he did much of anything with the opportunities he got, beyond the occasional nice play which would make you hope he can do more of that, but then he really wouldn't...

cotopaxi

Feb 2, 2015
Really excited that you guys got Laine. I think he can flourish with CBJ because they play a simpler system and he can be the x factor. Obviously the center depth is a concern but I think there is a way to not rely on it so much and that's just by playing a tight game and sticking to it 100% as a team, which I think is one of the Jackets' best attributes. Having Jones and Werenski obviously help and having those two in the lineup with Laine will open up a lot of good plays. But the other concern is if Laine can stay healthy, because if he does, you will be surprised at how engaged he can be. So I'm not sure if he can withstand that kind of play style.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
As things have settled down, I'm becoming more and more curious about Roslovic. I'm under the impression Jarmo really wanted him and it went beyond hometown kid. Maybe they see something him in that didn't really become apparent in WPG. Fans had high hopes for him, for some he was supposed to be the future 2C, but then years passed by and honestly it never seemed like he did much of anything with the opportunities he got, beyond the occasional nice play which would make you hope he can do more of that, but then he really wouldn't...

Roslovic never got too much opportunities to show what he has got as a 2C.

It's true that he got some 2nd line time last season, but I don't think Ehlers-Wheeler-Roslovic as a line was like optimal place to play. I think Roslovic was the defensive consciense of that line playing solid but without flashes.

It's way too early to write off Roslovic before he has got a real, honest opportunity as a 2C.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I watch the Jets a lot. They were my main late night team up until last year, and I still watch them once or twice a week.

It's really hilarious when someone accuses you of being a "stat watcher" and then only mentions more basic stats. You're doing the same thing I'm doing just a cruder more inaccurate version of it. If I was just a stat watcher, then you'd think I would know his goal scoring stats? People who know the fancy stats know the boxcars too, but you're like "listen nerd, this guy had this stat last year" as if you're going to tell me something new.

I could tell you I've watched the team and thought the top line looked awkward with Laine on it and that he is really best when Ehlers is skating the puck for him, but people tend to find statistical arguments more credible so they tend to be the main body of evidence around here.

Laine has scored 58 goals in the last two seasons, that is not actually one of the best in the league. If he can shoot at 18% like he did in his first two seasons and play the acceptable two-way game he had last year, then that's a $9m player. You're cherrypicking his best attributes from different seasons and trying to make it seem like he has already put it all together. That just hasn't happened yet.

I have never said Laine has put it all together.
Even with his flaws he’s a damm good player.
Laine has such a high ceiling as a player that he doesn’t have to be at his prime level to be considered elite.

I had lot of issues with Laines development in years 2-3 but he’s made changes since that have had a positive result on his game and this summer spend a lot of time with Barkov which is awesome news.
If there is a player in Finland I’d want Laine to train with it’s Barkov.

Since entering the league he has been one of the best goal scorers in the league and has worked on his weaknessess as asked.
I do hope Torts lets Laine be more like Laine than Maurice did. Teach him but don’t put him on chains.

& Even at his worst(injured) as a 20y old he hit 30, how many Columbus players can hit 30 in their prime form?
Defensive players get paid less than offensive.
Laine has CV which with he can ask big time money, especially when you are trying to buy his prime years.

You look around the league and some of the contracts there’s a team that will have no issue handing 9-10M to Laine

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
We've hit the limit on this thread. There's threads for Laine-specific stuff and for roster arrangements that discussions of those topics can resume in. Thank you for your patronage.

Additionally, should any more info come out on Dubois’ ask-out, feel free to post in II or, if it’s truly revealing, a new thread for that topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Halberdier
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad