Playoffs vs. regular season

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I’m no longer going to get excited about this team at any point throughout the regular season, I’ve seen this show once too many times now. It all means nothing until they win a round for the first time in nearly 2 decades.

Until that happens this Leafs team shouldn’t be considered a favourite for anything, period. We will be underdogs going into next springs playoffs yet again due to our embarrassing lack of playoff success.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Missing the playoffs isn't the shame that it once was, every team has the same or similar payroll and any team can beat each other on any given night. It doesn't seem that long ago that 16 out of 21 teams made the playoffs, that's when missing the playoffs was when you should feel ashamed missing the playoffs, not now.

I get you and you're not wrong. But if we miss out, I imagine I will feel like crap anyway. I expect to be one of the best team ins in the league and you're damn right that means making the playoffs and kicking some ass once we get there.

We already know how game 7 ends in Boston, time to wrestle home ice away from the Bruins.

I don't think that way at all. We could win game in Boston 6-0, we could win the series in 5, we might play some other team in the 1st round. Honestly, not worried about Boston at all right now.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Yes I love the sport and that's why it pains me to see the league mismanage things so badly. The NHL is so far behind the NBA as a complete product and business model and that became abundantly clear watching the two playoffs in contrast to each other.
Completely disagree. I see this all the time on this website and I don't get it. The NBA doesn't have a good business model at all. The players literally run the league and its a joke. I agree that the NBA playoffs may be more exciting because they showcase their star players more, but that's just the nature of the sport. One player can dominate each game. Has nothing to do with how the NBA runs its league.

The NHL isn't like that at all, because hockey is a more of a team sport. The GMs need to be way smarter to build a contender and the players have to work way harder. When the leafs win the cup - I guarantee you it will be far more satisfying than the Raptors winning the cup. The NHL has made it so the cup is actually difficult to win and that's exactly how it should be.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Completely disagree. I see this all the time on this website and I don't get it. The NBA doesn't have a good business model at all. The players literally run the league and its a joke. I agree that the NBA playoffs may be more exciting because they showcase their star players more, but that's just the nature of the sport. One player can dominate each game. Has nothing to do with how the NBA runs its league.

The NHL isn't like that at all, because hockey is a more of a team sport. The GMs need to be way smarter to build a contender and the players have to work way harder. When the leafs win the cup - I guarantee you it will be far more satisfying than the Raptors winning the cup. The NHL has made it so the cup is actually difficult to win and that's exactly how it should be.

The problem is hockey GMs aren't smarter than their NBA counterparts. They tend to lag behind most sports management trends - ie the NHL was literally years behind integrating advanced stats analysis into common practice around thebleague.

Imo it's in large part due to the "old boy" culture that seems to dominate most front offices. Guys get jobs because they're friendly with ownership ornused to be a well known ex player, not because of their managerial skills.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

You may disagree but you're still wrong lol the NBA is destroying other leagues in viewership in year over year growth. Just look how much player contracts have grown.

Numbers don't lie.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I just want to fast forward through the regular season and get to the playoffs. I want this team to prove that they can win. Whatever they do in the regular season is not going to prove anything. So many people assume Leafs will lose in the first round again. To me, this season is all about the playoffs. Sure, it's going to be fun to see our guys rack up a bunch of points but without playoff success it will be all hollow. Even if they win the President's trophy but lose in the first round, it will not be seen as a successful season by me. How much stock do you put in the regular season this year vs the playoffs?

Wow haha. I enjoy the challenge! The entitlement in this thread is eye opening. I’ll enjoy this regular season of hockey because i like hockey and i like the ups and downs. I will damn well deserve it and appreciate it more when the team wins than most of the posters that only accept the good. Good luck dealing with disappointment in your lives ha

Last edited:

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
The problem is hockey GMs aren't smarter than their NBA counterparts. They tend to lag behind most sports management trends - ie the NHL was literally years behind integrating advanced stats analysis into common practice around thebleague.

Imo it's in large part due to the "old boy" culture that seems to dominate most front offices. Guys get jobs because they're friendly with ownership ornused to be a well known ex player, not because of their managerial skills.
I don't think the NHL GMs are smarter, they just have to be smarter, if that makes sense.

Because they NBA is so player driven, the NBA GMs have very little freedom with which to act. They know they need to get star players no matter the cost, even if it screws over their future. Drafting doesn't matter as much. Its much harder to be an NHL GM.

I do have a ton of respect for Masai Ujiri though. He's the best executive in the NBA and he's worked magic with the raptors without mortgaging the future. He's far from the norm though.

I agree about the "old boys" though. I think that will start to change soon. For all Dubas' faults, hes a smart GM and he will have success and you will slowly see teams hiring more people like him.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
You may disagree but you're still wrong lol the NBA is destroying other leagues in viewership in year over year growth. Just look how much player contracts have grown.

Numbers don't lie.
Sure, I'm not disagreeing with that. But that has nothing to do with how the NBA is run. I could run the NBA and it would still have success.

The reason is because everyone can relate to it. Its the easiest sport to play and everyone has access to it. Many kids from poor areas in the states have nothing but basketball so of course they will follow it. Additionally, hip hop artists love basketball and always promote it. Do you know why? Because a lot of them came form the same poor areas and grew up with it.

Don't make the the mistake of thinking the success of the NBA is due to how its run because that is the farthest thing from the truth.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Playoffs are what matter, but I don’t want to see the uninspired play this team exhibited during the second half of the season. Yes we sustained long term injuries at a crucial time but that’s no excuse for the lacklustre hockey this team played during the final stages of the season.

The Leafs went 20-17-6 from January to the end of the regular season. A barely above .500 record that’s unbecoming of supposed Cup Contenders. We can’t afford to go through a stretch like that again. We need to see good consistent play from this team throughout the regular season.

Last edited:

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
82 games is a lot of hockey. I'm ready for the entire journey. Don't get me wrong, I definitely want to see playoff success. Everyone does.

With the way the team is built, along with our contracts and the reality that some of our players might not be here next year, the general idea was that our best shot was last few years as well as this upcoming year (Barrie & Muzzin both expire after this year)

The Kadri suspension last two years really shot the Leafs in the foot as well as wasted 2 years of potential playoff success, who knows where we would've reached? However we can't think like that, no matter how easy. You win and lose as a team.

Last regular season wasn't dominant. Special teams can also be improved. Lots of things to improve on for this regular season. I understand people are hungry for the Cup and our core will only be evaluated on playoff success by the majority, but imo you shouldn't just ignore the entire regular season now just because you're so desperate to see them past the first round. You're doing yourself a disservice.

I've waited for so long to be able to see a team like ours play out the regular season in the fashion they have last 2.5 of 3 years. The talent we have. We're easily a top 5-7 team in the league with a core all under 25. That's super impressive. Multiple shots to contend over the next 5+ years. Are you gonna ignore the regular season every year until they do something in playoffs? That's a pretty weak fan.

I'm gonna enjoy the full ride. I'll judge them on both, regular season as well as playoffs.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
We as Leafs fans need to ensure that the NHL and its refs call the same game as they do in the regular season. We have a skill team. The more stuff that is let go the worse off we are going to be. If the NHL decides to continue on with "lets let the players decide things for themselves on the ice" then we are done again as we have not changed the way we play. I think as the kids get more experienced they will learn to play better hockey when time and space is reduced. But a lot of that is exercising your will over your opponent. and doing just that little bit more on the effort side. Rely a little less on your skill. As of today my expectation is we will start year very strong. I expect we will lead the NHL at XMAS or be damn close to top. Based on past we should then drop a little as game tightens up and time and space is reduced in 2nd half. Then I think it will all depend on our 1st round opponent. If I was coaching I would coach to guarantee we do not meet Boston in round 1. We do not match well against them. The last 2 years it was fairly well determined Boston would be our round 1 opponent in February.

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
Nothing irradiates me more than this whole "nothing but playoffs matters" mantra.

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
82 games is a lot of hockey. I'm ready for the entire journey. Don't get me wrong, I definitely want to see playoff success. Everyone does.

I understand people are hungry for the Cup and our core will only be evaluated on playoff success by the majority, but imo you shouldn't just ignore the entire regular season now just because you're so desperate to see them past the first round. You're doing yourself a disservice.

I've waited for so long to be able to see a team like ours play out the regular season in the fashion they have last 2.5 of 3 years. The talent we have. We're easily a top 5-7 team in the league with a core all under 25. That's super impressive. Multiple shots to contend over the next 5+ years. Are you gonna ignore the regular season every year until they do something in playoffs? That's a pretty weak fan.

I'm gonna enjoy the full ride. I'll judge them on both, regular season as well as playoffs.

Perfect! I couldn't articulate it this well.

Reactions: MattySnipes

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Sure, I'm not disagreeing with that. But that has nothing to do with how the NBA is run. I could run the NBA and it would still have success.

The reason is because everyone can relate to it. Its the easiest sport to play and everyone has access to it. Many kids from poor areas in the states have nothing but basketball so of course they will follow it. Additionally, hip hop artists love basketball and always promote it. Do you know why? Because a lot of them came form the same poor areas and grew up with it.

Don't make the the mistake of thinking the success of the NBA is due to how its run because that is the farthest thing from the truth.
You have very little understanding of business and marketing so continuing this discussion is pointless. If what you were saying was the sole reason for NBA blowing up then soccer should've been the most popular sport ages ago in North America and yet it's not.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
I think it's a given we are going to make it because we have one of the best teams in the East. Unless we get hit by injuries hard, we will make it.
Lol we barely made the playoffs last season after starting 20-8. Nothing is a given. If we play like the way we did the second half of the season last year we might even just miss it period.

Reactions: Faltorvo

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
You have very little understanding of business and marketing so continuing this discussion is pointless. If what you were saying was the sole reason for NBA blowing up then soccer should've been the most popular sport ages ago in North America and yet it's not.
How do you figure? There are probably more registered soccer players in the US, but basketball is still the easier sport to play at any given moment. And did you disregard my comment about hip hop artists promoting basketball? Because they don't promote soccer in the same way.

Nevertheless, what I said was in addition to my my previous post - basketball is still an exciting sport to watch because your star players dominate like no other sport can. Soccer is a far more boring sport to watch than basketball. But again, that has literally nothing to do with how the league is run.

You haven't even given a reason as to why the NBA is run better than the NHL. All you've said is viewership, and I've given you plenty of reasons as to how a sport can have high viewership without being a better run league.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I don't think the NHL GMs are smarter, they just have to be smarter, if that makes sense.

Because they NBA is so player driven, the NBA GMs have very little freedom with which to act. They know they need to get star players no matter the cost, even if it screws over their future. Drafting doesn't matter as much. Its much harder to be an NHL GM.

I do have a ton of respect for Masai Ujiri though. He's the best executive in the NBA and he's worked magic with the raptors without mortgaging the future. He's far from the norm though.

I agree about the "old boys" though. I think that will start to change soon. For all Dubas' faults, hes a smart GM and he will have success and you will slowly see teams hiring more people like him.

Agree with your post. To me beside playing pretty much in the same months and sometime the same venue, NBA teams and NHL teams are very different.
NBA teams success is pretty much all on paper. If you can get the best talents on paper, chances are that team will go far in the playoffs. Future also means little as even drafting 1st overall does not mean success and Superstar players pretty much dictate their teams. Just look at Paul George, Antonio Davis... and the list goes on.
NHL teams are more in line with MLB And even NFL teams in terms of drafting, developing and having a farm system. Having Superstars players are important but won’t guarantee success, like having someone leading the league in HRs, Batting Avg, Wins, Pts, QB ratings, TDS, Tackles... in the team does not make that team into a contender.

Reactions: Madap

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Missing the playoffs isn't the shame that it once was, every team has the same or similar payroll and any team can beat each other on any given night. It doesn't seem that long ago that 16 out of 21 teams made the playoffs, that's when missing the playoffs was when you should feel ashamed missing the playoffs, not now.

If they don't make the playoffs, somebody is losing their job.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I don't see it that way, especially after what happened last season.

Winning a round is a must, period. Winning 4 rounds would be better.

I don't GAF about the regular season, just hope we're healthy and ready to play like we mean it when the playoffs start.

Let's GO!

If losing back to back game 7s on the road isn't going to let you "see it that way", then you're hopeless, to be frank.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If losing back to back game 7s on the road isn't going to let you "see it that way", then you're hopeless, to be frank.

If you think the past determines the future then you're the one who's hopeless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad