Playoffs vs. regular season

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
The regular season will be so important to the playoffs though. On a team level, this is a year the Leafs have another shot to surpass the Bruins in the standings (and if things go exceedingly well, Tampa Bay is beatable as well). That kind of confidence and home ice advantage could be a huge boost to Toronto's playoff chances in the first two rounds especially.

Beyond that, on an individual level, there are lots of exciting aspects. A reformed defensive group. A possible full season of Nylander & a healthy Matthews. Plenty of new faces in the bottom end of the lineup as well. I personally think this will be a great regular season. But I understand the feeling. The playoffs is what it is all for.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
If you think the past determines the future then you're the one who's hopeless.

That's not what I'm saying at all.

But to suggest the regular season doesn't matter, when we've literally shown a tendency to choke on the road in game 7 in the playoffs, is ridiculous.

Our star goaltender has a mental block in the playoffs in game 7 - but it doesn't matter if we play it at home or on the road?

Come on, get a grip

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Dubas has made this a what you see is what you get roster. We’ll know by Christmas, or maybe earlier, if they are any good.
But, if they make the playoffs.....We all know the unanswered questions...
Can Matthews lead in the playoffs and win those crucial, must win shifts? Failed last year.
Can Andersen spread out his clunkers? He’s 0-3 as a Leaf.
Will Babs see injuries. There’s so much here...there’s a good chance he won’t be coaching the Leafs if they make it, but if he is will he be his stubborn self?
Will they get run over and intimidated again. Holy smokes, Jake DeBrusk in game 2 and a complete shid of the bed effort in the prime time game of round 1 - game 6 Sunday afternoon NBC.....OUCH.... ........Bruins rode that game to the SCF...

LET’S DROP THE PUCK

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
I just want to fast forward through the regular season and get to the playoffs. I want this team to prove that they can win. Whatever they do in the regular season is not going to prove anything. So many people assume Leafs will lose in the first round again. To me, this season is all about the playoffs. Sure, it's going to be fun to see our guys rack up a bunch of points but without playoff success it will be all hollow. Even if they win the President's trophy but lose in the first round, it will not be seen as a successful season by me. How much stock do you put in the regular season this year vs the playoffs?

As long as they don’t face Boston we have a chance

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

But to suggest the regular season doesn't matter, when we've literally shown a tendency to choke on the road in game 7 in the playoffs, is ridiculous.

Our star goaltender has a mental block in the playoffs in game 7 - but it doesn't matter if we play it at home or on the road?

Come on, get a grip

I didn't say it doesn't matter. How much it matters (beyond making the playoffs) is unclear though.

All the 1st place teams lost in the 1st round last season. Overestimate the importance of home ice if you like but you're not going to convince me.

kb

Aug 28, 2009

Come on, get a grip
FWIW, the Leafs choked on home ice in Game 6 while up 3 games to 2.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
We as Leafs fans need to ensure that the NHL and its refs call the same game as they do in the regular season. We have a skill team. The more stuff that is let go the worse off we are going to be. If the NHL decides to continue on with "lets let the players decide things for themselves on the ice" then we are done again as we have not changed the way we play. I think as the kids get more experienced they will learn to play better hockey when time and space is reduced. But a lot of that is exercising your will over your opponent. and doing just that little bit more on the effort side. Rely a little less on your skill. As of today my expectation is we will start year very strong. I expect we will lead the NHL at XMAS or be damn close to top. Based on past we should then drop a little as game tightens up and time and space is reduced in 2nd half. Then I think it will all depend on our 1st round opponent. If I was coaching I would coach to guarantee we do not meet Boston in round 1. We do not match well against them. The last 2 years it was fairly well determined Boston would be our round 1 opponent in February.
Isn't it a bit early to be starting the "we didn't win the Cup because of the officiating" whine?

The regular season hasn't started yet, and there hasn't even been the first "plan the parade route" post.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I didn't say it doesn't matter. How much it matters (beyond making the playoffs) is unclear though.

All the 1st place teams lost in the 1st round last season. Overestimate the importance of home ice if you like but you're not going to convince me.

Last season's playoffs were so bizarre, that they seem like a write-off.

But statistically, the home team wins game 7 far more than they lose.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Last season's playoffs were so bizarre, that they seem like a write-off.

But statistically, the home team wins game 7 far more than they lose.

That's true but in the lopsided match-ups, the result would mostly be the same on neutral ice anyway.

One extra home game in 7 isn't that much of an edge. It doesn't hurt to have it of course but much more important to be healthy, well rested and firing on all cylinders when the playoffs start.

Reactions: Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->