Pre-Game Talk: Playoffs Rd1 Game 1 - Wild vs Jets - Wed Apr 11 6:00pm CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I do think we are going to potentially have our hands full with Minnesota. No Suter for the Wild is a huge, huge obstacle for them to overcome. It can be downplayed but losing a guy of that importance is never easy when the games mean the most. But, they can overcome it just as we did when Scheifele was out for a while. Playoffs are where the games tighten up, guys step up and teams come together (or fall apart). We "should" win this one, but nothing is a sure thing. I think this is going to be a heck of a series and honestly it could go either way. We are the better team. We have more talent. But that doesn't = a series win.

The Jets are absolutely loaded with offensive talent top to bottom. Our overall depth is outstanding and among the best the league has to offer. Three complete scoring lines and fourth centered by an elite defensive guy in Lowry who absolutely shuts down opposing teams top guys. This team is incredibly consistent in their approach and ability to follow through with it's game plan. The Winnipeg Jets are the 2nd best team in the NHL this regular season for a reason.

This Jets team feels like one who can do some magical things this playoffs, there is something that just feels 'right' about this group and for me it all starts with Blake Wheeler leading the way each and every night. Maurice has not won it all in this league but he has come close, and he has injected a level of trust, confidence, efficiency and competence in this team from top to bottom. Every guy has a role and a job to do and each guy counts on one another to do it. Paul has been to the Stanley Cup Finals in 2002 with the underdog Hurricanes losing to one of the best teams in the NHL's history in that '02 Red Wings team, and he also made an appearance in 2009 to the Eastern Conference Finals losing only to the eventual cup winning Pittsburgh Penguins.

For me, so much feels right about this team, this group. On a personal level it feels like my experiences with the Cup winning 2006 Hurricanes. I'm excited to see it all play out because I do think we can see some magic.

Why I think Minnesota could be a tough one.

1. Eric Staal. He had a heck of a year and this is a guy who when he turns it 'on' can take over games and series' by himself and everyone else follows him. I may be a bit bias because I am a former Canes/Staal fan pre-Jets return, but I watched Eric take over games and series in 2006 and 2009 and honestly we better hope he doesn't get going. This is where I hope Lowry can enter the picture and shut him down.

2. Devan Dubnyk. A good, hot goalie can win games and series nearly by himself it seems. There is a chance here that Dubnyk shuts the door on us. If he is on his game he can easily stifle our offense and frustrate our roster. I remind myself that although we have elite offensive firepower, it comes at the hands of some pretty young an inexperienced talent in Laine, Ehlers, Connor and even Scheifele. If goals become hard to come by, I do worry how much it will get in the heads and mentally effect the confidence and patience of guys like Laine, Ehlers and Connor. If that happens, that's when things could seize up on us. When frustration sets in, mistakes are made. When mistakes are made, confidence is lost. But, I think we also have a strong room where when/if things aren't going well or as planned, a nice one-on-on with Captain Wheeler or Buff can really get a players head back in the game.

3. Forward depth. While the Jets have elite scoring and forward depth, Minnesota, while not as shiny, still boasts some quality depth. Aside from Staal, there is Granlund, Zucker, Koivu, Coyle Niederreiter, Parise. Cullen brings a high level of experience down the middle and Foligno and Winnik are two big bodies in their bottom half of the roster. This Minnesota team will have to work for their goals and get by Hellebuyck but they have the capabilities to do it and hammer those pucks home.

4. Mikko Koivu. We love our defensive stud in Lowry, they love their Mikko Koivu. Enough said. He's good.

5. Big, physical bodies. This may not be a real key point, and Minnesota did account for the least amount of "hits" in the league through the regular season, but it's a factor that is in the back of my mind. While this can be overlooked in the advanced stats/underlying numbers world, I think it counts for something in the playoffs. Playoff hockey can be tough, grueling and punishing. The whistles get put away and the ice bags and numbing meds are a players' saving grace between periods and after games. I do think Minnesota can pack a punch with the likes of Koivu, Coyle, Niederreiter, Foligno, Winnik, Dumba, etc.. and our guys need to be ready for those guys because I think there is a good chance they come at us heavy and hard. With that being said we can counter back punch for punch with Minnesota no doubt in my mind.

Keys to our success in my mind is for the Jets..

1. Health. Please for the love of God can our guys stay healthy. Relatively anyway, bumps and bruises are guaranteed.

2. Hellebuyck. I have so much confidence in Helle that I think he is a guy who can be so integral of leading this team to glory and playing hockey into June. In my mind there is a Conn Smythe performer in there and I want to see it, and I think we can see it. With that being said, the pressure is and will be on him to perform through the ups and downs, highs and lows, he has to shut the door.

3. Keep it simple, set the tone, play the game that successfully got us here and go at our opponent each and every night, shift by shift with the waves of depth we've been blessed with. The whistles get put away in the playoffs and the 5v5 game is instrumental. Jets scored 176 even-strength goals to Minnesota's 160. Through 82 games that's pretty close. I want to see the Jets set the tone with 'our game' right from opening puck drop. We have so much depth and talent from an offensive and all-around standpoint from the top to the bottom of the roster that it could and should give the opposing team fits. Sit back just once and your tenders red light is on. We have an abundance of players where if they are given one shot, they can burn you.

4. Mental game. So much of playoff hockey's trials and tribulations are mental. Much of this in my opinion goes for everybody obviously but definitely our young scorers (thinking Laine, Ehlers, Connor). Be patient, one shift at a time and don't try to win the series in one shift or one period. Looking at you too, Buff. We need no heroes and no one guy has to do it all every shift or game. Don't stray from what makes us so good collectively as a team and each player as an individual. We know our game, we know what makes us a successful team, stick to the basics of what got us to where we are and in a 7-game series we can beat anybody. Each guy has a role and no one player has to score all the goals or be 'the hero'. At times the bounces won't go our way but don't let the highs get too high or the lows get too low.

I'm excited. Let's go.

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Hopfully Toby is ready to go. I would have checked this out had I known about it earlier.

I published that tweet as soon as I was aware. If I was still in the Peg I would have been there.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Does not mean he won't be ready by game time.
Enstrom's likely not playing in the 1st round. there's zero indication that he'll play.
he has not, to our knowledge, practiced with the team.
one can assume he's not at game speed.
and with how the team's rolling, having an injured Entrom tossed in there instead of Morrow or Chiarot, is probably pointless

Reactions: Hobble

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I do think we are going to potentially have our hands full with Minnesota. No Suter for the Wild is a huge, huge obstacle for them to overcome. It can be downplayed but losing a guy of that importance is never easy when the games mean the most. But, they can overcome it just as we did when Scheifele was out for a while. Playoffs are where the games tighten up, guys step up and teams come together (or fall apart). We "should" win this one, but nothing is a sure thing. I think this is going to be a heck of a series and honestly it could go either way. We are the better team. We have more talent. But that doesn't = a series win.

The Jets are absolutely loaded with offensive talent top to bottom. Our overall depth is outstanding and among the best the league has to offer. Three complete scoring lines and fourth centered by an elite defensive guy in Lowry who absolutely shuts down opposing teams top guys. This team is incredibly consistent in their approach and ability to follow through with it's game plan. The Winnipeg Jets are the 2nd best team in the NHL this regular season for a reason.

This Jets team feels like one who can do some magical things this playoffs, there is something that just feels 'right' about this group and for me it all starts with Blake Wheeler leading the way each and every night. Maurice has not won it all in this league but he has come close, and he has injected a level of trust, confidence, efficiency and competence in this team from top to bottom. Every guy has a role and a job to do and each guy counts on one another to do it. Paul has been to the Stanley Cup Finals in 2002 with the underdog Hurricanes losing to one of the best teams in the NHL's history in that '02 Red Wings team, and he also made an appearance in 2009 to the Eastern Conference Finals losing only to the eventual cup winning Pittsburgh Penguins.

For me, so much feels right about this team, this group. On a personal level it feels like my experiences with the Cup winning 2006 Hurricanes. I'm excited to see it all play out because I do think we can see some magic.

Why I think Minnesota could be a tough one.

1. Eric Staal. He had a heck of a year and this is a guy who when he turns it 'on' can take over games and series' by himself and everyone else follows him. I may be a bit bias because I am a former Canes/Staal fan pre-Jets return, but I watched Eric take over games and series in 2006 and 2009 and honestly we better hope he doesn't get going. This is where I hope Lowry can enter the picture and shut him down.

2. Devan Dubnyk. A good, hot goalie can win games and series nearly by himself it seems. There is a chance here that Dubnyk shuts the door on us. If he is on his game he can easily stifle our offense and frustrate our roster. I remind myself that although we have elite offensive firepower, it comes at the hands of some pretty young an inexperienced talent in Laine, Ehlers, Connor and even Scheifele. If goals become hard to come by, I do worry how much it will get in the heads and mentally effect the confidence and patience of guys like Laine, Ehlers and Connor. If that happens, that's when things could seize up on us. When frustration sets in, mistakes are made. When mistakes are made, confidence is lost. But, I think we also have a strong room where when/if things aren't going well or as planned, a nice one-on-on with Captain Wheeler or Buff can really get a players head back in the game.

3. Forward depth. While the Jets have elite scoring and forward depth, Minnesota, while not as shiny, still boasts some quality depth. Aside from Staal, there is Granlund, Zucker, Koivu, Coyle Niederreiter, Parise. Cullen brings a high level of experience down the middle and Foligno and Winnik are two big bodies in their bottom half of the roster. This Minnesota team will have to work for their goals and get by Hellebuyck but they have the capabilities to do it and hammer those pucks home.

4. Mikko Koivu. We love our defensive stud in Lowry, they love their Mikko Koivu. Enough said. He's good.

5. Big, physical bodies. This may not be a real key point, and Minnesota did account for the least amount of "hits" in the league through the regular season, but it's a factor that is in the back of my mind. While this can be overlooked in the advanced stats/underlying numbers world, I think it counts for something in the playoffs. Playoff hockey can be tough, grueling and punishing. The whistles get put away and the ice bags and numbing meds are a players' saving grace between periods and after games. I do think Minnesota can pack a punch with the likes of Koivu, Coyle, Niederreiter, Foligno, Winnik, Dumba, etc.. and our guys need to be ready for those guys because I think there is a good chance they come at us heavy and hard. With that being said we can counter back punch for punch with Minnesota no doubt in my mind.

Keys to our success in my mind is for the Jets..

1. Health. Please for the love of God can our guys stay healthy. Relatively anyway, bumps and bruises are guaranteed.

2. Hellebuyck. I have so much confidence in Helle that I think he is a guy who can be so integral of leading this team to glory and playing hockey into June. In my mind there is a Conn Smythe performer in there and I want to see it, and I think we can see it. With that being said, the pressure is and will be on him to perform through the ups and downs, highs and lows, he has to shut the door.

3. Keep it simple, set the tone, play the game that successfully got us here and go at our opponent each and every night, shift by shift with the waves of depth we've been blessed with. The whistles get put away in the playoffs and the 5v5 game is instrumental. Jets scored 176 even-strength goals to Minnesota's 160. Through 82 games that's pretty close. I want to see the Jets set the tone with 'our game' right from opening puck drop. We have so much depth and talent from an offensive and all-around standpoint from the top to the bottom of the roster that it could and should give the opposing team fits. Sit back just once and your tenders red light is on. We have an abundance of players where if they are given one shot, they can burn you.

4. Mental game. So much of playoff hockey's trials and tribulations are mental. Much of this in my opinion goes for everybody obviously but definitely our young scorers (thinking Laine, Ehlers, Connor). Be patient, one shift at a time and don't try to win the series in one shift or one period. Looking at you too, Buff. We need no heroes and no one guy has to do it all every shift or game. Don't stray from what makes us so good collectively as a team and each player as an individual. We know our game, we know what makes us a successful team, stick to the basics of what got us to where we are and in a 7-game series we can beat anybody. Each guy has a role and no one player has to score all the goals or be 'the hero'. At times the bounces won't go our way but don't let the highs get too high or the lows get too low.

I'm excited. Let's go.
Fantastic post :nod:

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
The only thing that has me worried is our PK. If the games don't get called extremely tight then even if the PK falls apart we should be just fine.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Jets do practice hard. I think the reason they are at the plex today is because they are adding playoff logos to the ice surface today

Reactions: DRC

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Never thought I would say this before the season started but Chiapet is pretty much on equal footing with Enstrom. Different players, but about the same effectiveness.

As long as Trouba is playing, we have the better defense on Paper.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Totally bummed that I will be in Europe for work this week and will miss the first game. Someone has to pick up the slack for all of the insightful and witty commentary that I provide in the GDT. Or you can just talk out of your ass - that's actually my secret.

GJG!

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Player audio: Wheeler, Perreault, Little, Hellebuyck, Laine & Copp.

Coach Maurice scrum topics: Update on Enstrom. Rest of the team OK? What is day 1 like as they prepare for Wednesday? Is this the hardest practice of the playoffs? Has Enstrom been on the ice at all? Difference going into these playoffs vs the last ones? On playoff experience. Any concern about Trouba's readiness? Does he want the team to embrace the buzz around the city? On Hellebuyck's playoff mentality. On the challenge of finding space. Did he allow himself a chance to reflect on how successful they were during the regular season? On the Wild. Getting to the middle of the ice against Minnesota. Expecting offence from the D? Is Hendricks an option for the series? Is Enstrom possible for game 2? What does he worry about as a coach? The last few weeks of the season. On Wheeler driving the bus. Does he have to guard against players trying to do too much? How do they match up against the Wild? How valuable has the acquisition of Joe Morrow proved?

To listen click here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad