Pre-Game Talk: Playoffs RD 1: Chicago @ Blues - Game 1: Thursday 7PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think Paajarvi's speed makes him a lock to play a bunch of games this series, that is if he doesn't make a bunch of mistakes early in the series. Whether it's getting back on defense and back-checking or rushing forward on the counter-attack, we'll need more speed against Chicago.

Part of the reason why Ott and Morrow will probably have more 4th line roles when we are fully healthy.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Personally I want this:

Steen-Backes-Oshie
Schwartz-Berglund-Tarasenko
Morrow-Sobotka-Paajarvi
Ott-Lapierre-Reaves

This will get the most out of Berglund and Sobotka will provide stability to the 3rd line, something that will be needed if Q really does put a star on every line. Possible change would be to put Ott at 3rd line LW and Morrow or Porter on the 4th line. With everyone healthy, Roy doesn't have much room, although I could see him as the 3rd line LW to provide more in-game center depth since all of the top 9 centers would be coming off injuries.
Yeah that definitely would maximize Berglund. That Tarasenko-Sobotka-Oshie line was insane though. Nobody could touch them. I think we'll need a puck possession monster line like that to compete with the Hawks. If we do go with a lineup like yours I'd rather see Roy in Morrow's spot. We're going to need a lot of speed, and for all his faults I still think Roy is a more dangerous offensive player than Morrow.
Two things
1. If Morrow is healthy he is going to be in the lineup. I see Paajarvi being the odd man out.
2. Tarasenko is far more productive on his off wing. His ability to come off the sideboards and shoot from the inside is deadly.

I guess my lines would be

Steen-Backes-Oshie -- proven to a be possible the most solid two way line in the league.
Schwartz-Sobotka-Tarasenko -- This line had insane chemistry earlier in the season. All 3 play great puck possession game.
Paajarvi-Berglund-Morrow
Ott-Lapierre-Reaves
I think Paajarvi should play. We'll need his speed. If nothing else, the Hawks will have to pay attention to him because he's so fast. Definitely had a brain fart and forgot about Morrow. Still don't like him on the third line though. I get what you're saying about Tarasenko being on his off wing, and that Schwartz-Sobotka-Tarasenko line was amazing earlier in the season, but the Tarasenko-Sobotka-Oshie line was even more of a possession juggernaut. Nobody could take the puck from that line.
I think Paajarvi's speed makes him a lock to play a bunch of games this series, that is if he doesn't make a bunch of mistakes early in the series. Whether it's getting back on defense and back-checking or rushing forward on the counter-attack, we'll need more speed against Chicago.

Part of the reason why Ott and Morrow will probably have more 4th line roles when we are fully healthy.
I agree. I think Paajarvi could do a lot more damage than Morrow and especially Ott.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It's nice that we finally have a lineup where there is no wrong top 6 set-up, assuming you use the top 7 players of course. Hell, we have 4 options for center.

Wouldn't be surprised if Steen sees time at center and Backes goes on the wing. Partly to put Backes on the forecheck and partly for his injury if he isn't effective enough to matchup against Toews.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I think so too. You could tell by Hitch's comments yesterday that he doesn't seem happy with the level of Morrow's play, even before the injury.
It's not even about Morrow's play of late completely. It's about the fact that Paajarvi is a lot faster and has the potential to create more of a matchup issue, or at least make Chicago pay a little more attention to him. I just don't think Morrow can keep up with Chicago in the foot speed department.

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
First playoffs where I'm excited to be down there watching playoff hockey with zero expectations from the Blues. Maybe this different attitude will result in a different outcome from past years?

Nice avatar photo of the late Bob Gassoff!

To the series? I doubt it. I'm picking the Hawks to win this series in 5. Too many injured core players for the Blues and no scoring difference makers on offense even if healthy while Chicago has several. Optomist : Could go to 7 if Miller stands on his head, right now all eyes on Miller on how he performs, Miller needs to be our best player.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Oh, do we have someone working on the GDT. Since they are used in the Playoff section, we'll unfortunately need to put in some real effort.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Schwartz, Sobotka, and Tarasenko area wearing the same color jerseys, so likely that all 3 will be in and together on a line.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Oshie isn't out there, so a bit concerning there. Although you can put any winger with Steen and Backes for a game or 2 and we should be ok.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Ott-Steen-Backes
Schwartz-Sobotka-Tarasenko
Morrow-Roy-Reaves
Porter-Lapierre-Cracknell

Injured: Oshie, Berglund
Extra: Paajarvi, Jaskin, Aucoin

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Ott-Steen-Backes
Schwartz-Sobotka-Tarasenko
Morrow-Roy-Reaves
Porter-Lapierre-Cracknell

Injured: Oshie, Berglund
Extra: Paajarvi, Jaskin, Aucoin
Are those the lines for today? Because Reaves on the third line is a terrible idea. Unless it's just a fill in for today to give Oshie an extra day. Ott on the first line seems like a disaster in the making.
Jackman paired with Shattenkirk, not Polak

Thank the lord.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah those are the lines for today. Wish Reaves was on the 4th and Paajarvi was on the 3rd. I'd think if Reaves was a filler, he'd be on the 1st. I guess maybe Morrow-Roy-Oshie would be a line to counter Q putting Kane on the 3rd.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Jackman paired with Shattenkirk, not Polak

Leopold skating as the 6th defender over Cole and Cola
As long as the glass man is stapled to the seat in the press box, I'm ok with Leopold or Cole.
Yeah those are the lines for today. Wish Reaves was on the 4th and Paajarvi was on the 3rd. I'd think if Reaves was a filler, he'd be on the 1st. I guess maybe Morrow-Roy-Oshie would be a line to counter Q putting Kane on the 3rd.
Definitely don't like Reaves on the third line. He's fine on the fourth but Paajarvi brings a lot more on the third line. Once again, I sit here saying to myself, that Hitch is terrible at making a lineup. It drives me crazy.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It's conservative for sure, we'll just have to see if it'll payoff.

JR also said Tarasenko looks terrific. I swear if he gets a hat trick, Scotchtrade will go absolutely nuts.

occy30

Apr 11, 2012
St. Louis
Not seeing Oshie is worrisome (as other have said). Unless he's at the doctors office getting cleared medically to play.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Not seeing Oshie is worrisome (as other have said). Unless he's at the doctors office getting cleared medically to play.
He's just getting a final checkup after having adamantium bonded to his skeleton. No big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad