Playoffs - Points Percentage

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Received this today:

[FONT=&quot]The top four teams in each division earn Calder Cup Playoffs bids and battle within the division during the first two postseason rounds, though there are two exceptions to this rule. Because the Central and Atlantic Divisions feature eight teams while the North and Pacific Divisions have seven teams, the fifth-place team in the Central and Atlantic will cross over and assume the fourth-place spot in the North and Pacific if they own a superior points percentage.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
The AHL is no longer a legitimate hockey league.........

Points is the only way to determine playoffs period........

By allowing the CA teams to play 8 less games is bad enough that makes the AHL some sort of beer league sad....................

On top of that they come up with some sort of points percentage that will allow the CA teams to qualify for the post season is insane.........

Nothing like having your cake and eating it to CRAZY..........

Could we rename the AHL to the Mickey Mouse league for that is what it has become........................

mickey_mouse_by_xvrcardoso-d52hv54.jpg

Last edited:

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Welcome to the BHL( Bush Hockey League) where nothing is to stupid to do....wanna play with 7 players to your oponents 4...lets do it........wanna stop the game and award yourself a win as soon as you score a goal, fine go ahead. Wanna just cancel the game completely and just give yourself the win...sounds good lets make it happen.

The Bush Hockey League....where YOU make the rules as you go along....

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Division opponents in the playoffs as a guarantee is boring. You see those teams enough all season.

And with the California teams in their division and no eastern teams coming to the midwest, I can see the Wolves playing Milwaukee, Rockford, Iowa, and Grand Rapids 14 times each.

Bizarro Bandwagoner

Jan 30, 2010
Maine
Sick of the league bending over for the Western teams. You shouldn't be able to make your own set of rules just because you made the choice to move your teams thousands of miles from the rest of the league.

St. John's and Abbotsford always had to play the same amount of games as everyone else and they're a lot more remote than these California teams. I'd really be pissed if I was a fan of the Texas teams. It should be based off total points period. You want to play less games? There should be a disadvantage to YOU, not the other teams.

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78
Personally, I love the thought process being spewed by some in league circles that this was done to maintain the integrity of the 30-30 match. Never occurs to them that they completely bastardized one part of their league to "maintain their integrity". :shakehead

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Sick of the league bending over for the Western teams. You shouldn't be able to make your own set of rules just because you made the choice to move your teams thousands of miles from the rest of the league.

St. John's and Abbotsford always had to play the same amount of games as everyone else and they're a lot more remote than these California teams. I'd really be pissed if I was a fan of the Texas teams. It should be based off total points period. You want to play less games? There should be a disadvantage to YOU, not the other teams.

You're talking one or two teams....not a division. Kind of a difference.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
You're talking one or two teams....not a division. Kind of a difference.

No, you ar talking an entire conference. The entire other division would have had a chance to be the cross over team in the playoffs.

Those five teams are playing eight less games...huh, I wonder how they could play eight more games and not have to travel much to do it...hmmmm, five teams....eight games....yeah, no possible way to do that. :sarcasm:

Sorry, the league couldn't figure it out. And yes, quit racking up the reading stats on the propaganda pages....

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I find it funny you guys are so bent out of shape by this. League doesn't care about you...just your money. Its like politicians don't give a damn about you...just your vote.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Of course there is a way they *could* do it. But they teams involved don't *want* to do it. The owners of the California AHL teams (NHL teams) want their teams to play less games. The rest of the owners want to continue to play more games. They couldn't come up with a compromise number of games that made everyone happy, so they came up with this compromise instead. I'm not saying it is a good solution, but it is the solution they chose. They didn't do it accidentally, or without looking at other options. The new teams don't want a longer schedule. They prefer to have more days off for practice, or to work out with the NHL coaches, or whatever their priorities are.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Of course there is a way they *could* do it. But they teams involved don't *want* to do it. The owners of the California AHL teams (NHL teams) want their teams to play less games. The rest of the owners want to continue to play more games. They couldn't come up with a compromise number of games that made everyone happy, so they came up with this compromise instead. I'm not saying it is a good solution, but it is the solution they chose. They didn't do it accidentally, or without looking at other options. The new teams don't want a longer schedule. They prefer to have more days off for practice, or to work out with the NHL coaches, or whatever their priorities are.

Because the AHL West teams had no interest in compromising about anything. It was their way or they were leaving.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I find it interesting. In the East its considered a bus league. Enough teams are close to their affiliate. You think they'd want the more practice. Practices are actually tougher than games. Games are good and all but practice is where you develop things like chemistry. I mean a lot of the guys on these teams are headed in different career situations in a given year. Guys who are going nowhere. Guys who just need some time and are close once they get adjusted to the north american game. Then you have guys who have a future but they have enough to work on that they will be at this level for a couple of years before they get their chance. Practice is like a skills competition. You can see what guys can and can't do. Sure you can see that at a game or on film but games are faster and the concept is the same. You can't really make a gigantic change in game on your style of play or work on your weaknesses. I like the idea of a shorter schedule. Season gets long and stale and even great teams have games in a year where they throw in the towel and just don't care.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
I find it interesting. In the East its considered a bus league. Enough teams are close to their affiliate. You think they'd want the more practice. Practices are actually tougher than games. Games are good and all but practice is where you develop things like chemistry. I mean a lot of the guys on these teams are headed in different career situations in a given year. Guys who are going nowhere. Guys who just need some time and are close once they get adjusted to the north american game. Then you have guys who have a future but they have enough to work on that they will be at this level for a couple of years before they get their chance. Practice is like a skills competition. You can see what guys can and can't do. Sure you can see that at a game or on film but games are faster and the concept is the same. You can't really make a gigantic change in game on your style of play or work on your weaknesses. I like the idea of a shorter schedule. Season gets long and stale and even great teams have games in a year where they throw in the towel and just don't care.

Yeah, cause playing in game situations doesn't help you understand how you or your teammates would react in those situations, just practice does. Games do not help when you play against agitators, your own teammates can do that in practice just as well. They can cheap shot you, slash you, fight you, throw you into the boards, trip you, etc.

Please. Practice is important to work on basic skills and set plays as well as special teams but practice doesn't build chemistry. Also being in your own bed each night doesn't help either. Being n the road with the team is what helps to build some of that chemistry. Away from the wives and the girlfriends.

I have friends that guess what, when they played they didn't hang out with the other players unless they were on the road. I have watched hundreds of practices. Boring Lots of skating and passing skills and drills. Nothing like a game though. Lacks intensity.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Because the AHL West teams had no interest in compromising about anything. It was their way or they were leaving.
I guess it's a good thing you don't have to watch the AHL anymore then.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
The east teams are largely established teams with local owners. The west teams are all (or almost all) new teams with NHL owners. The east teams are reluctant to cut income (less games means less tickets sold) without a significant cut in costs. The west teams aren't as concerned about less ticket sales income.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
The east teams are largely established teams with local owners. The west teams are all (or almost all) new teams with NHL owners. The east teams are reluctant to cut income (less games means less tickets sold) without a significant cut in costs. The west teams aren't as concerned about less ticket sales income.

Milwaukee and Chicago are locally owned. Those are the 2 AHL teams closest to me.
They both joined the AHL in 2001, making this their 15th year in league.

I guess it depends on how you interpret "almost all" and "new".

To me, California is in the west, as is Texas.

Are Milwaukee and Chicago in your west, not just the Western Conference?

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Milwaukee and Chicago are locally owned. Those are the 2 AHL teams closest to me.
They both joined the AHL in 2001, making this their 15th year in league.

I guess it depends on how you interpret "almost all" and "new".

To me, California is in the west, as is Texas.

Are Milwaukee and Chicago in your west, not just the Western Conference?
Sorry I wasn't specific enough, I thought from the context of the conversation it was clear we were talking about the California teams vs the more traditional AHL markets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad