Playoffs?!?!? Playoffs?!?!?!

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
The frustrating part last month was not so much about missing the playoffs, but going through another funk and whimpering through terrible games just when they got to a playoff position. I at least wanted to see the team improve as the season progressed and show some fight. So at least this last stretch has showed all of that, and proves this roster has some gritty mentality about it, and more to offer overall with a few improvements (that maybe should have been done by the front office earlier). It's definitely a great way to finish the season, looking strong and like they belong in the playoff talk all summer and through next season.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The frustrating part last month was not so much about missing the playoffs, but going through another funk and whimpering through terrible games just when they got to a playoff position. I at least wanted to see the team improve as the season progressed and show some fight. So at least this last stretch has showed all of that, and proves this roster has some gritty mentality about it, and more to offer overall with a few improvements (that maybe should have been done by the front office earlier). It's definitely a great way to finish the season, looking strong and like they belong in the playoff talk all summer and through next season.

Agreed. They can look at this final run and know they gave what they could to get this close. They aren't going into the season with the regret of having gone out with a whimper like so many of the Eichel teams did, instead they know they have it in them to play the right way in tough situations. That's something to look at going forward - how deep can they dig, how much can they get to this state when they lose a couple in October or November next year? They have the knowledge they can get back to winning hockey if they play a certain way now. That experience should be useful.

Also, I'd like to think that the coaches and front office have learned through this too that when the team is short-handed, more can be done than just riding a couple of players into nubs. Some of that post-deadline swoon seems like it's on their big three defensemen being broken (Sammy) or worn out (Power) or in Dahlin's case a bit of both. Hopefully they see how close this group is and continue forward to make the squad better immediately (as in this summer) rather than again giving the wait-and-see approach. They've reached a threshold that the GM and coaches have to level their game up too.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Agreed. They can look at this final run and know they gave what they could to get this close. They aren't going into the season with the regret of having gone out with a whimper like so many of the Eichel teams did, instead they know they have it in them to play the right way in tough situations. That's something to look at going forward - how deep can they dig, how much can they get to this state when they lose a couple in October or November next year? They have the knowledge they can get back to winning hockey if they play a certain way now. That experience should be useful.

Also, I'd like to think that the coaches and front office have learned through this too that when the team is short-handed, more can be done than just riding a couple of players into nubs. Some of that post-deadline swoon seems like it's on their big three defensemen being broken (Sammy) or worn out (Power) or in Dahlin's case a bit of both. Hopefully they see how close this group is and continue forward to make the squad better immediately (as in this summer) rather than again giving the wait-and-see approach. They've reached a threshold that the GM and coaches have to level their game up too.
Their play seemed to improve when they started to get some practices in again also. I'm sure that can't just be a coincidence. Hopefully they don't have to reschedule several games again and compress an already tight schedule.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

Man, I thought Grier left way earlier than that.

One thing I remember vividly from that season is Niedermayer sucking for most of the regular season, then playing his ass off in the playoffs and looking solid.

Pietrangelo

Oct 26, 2015
Not a Sabres fan, but just popping in to say I was really rooting for you guys to get in. You have a really promising team ahead of you guys for years to come. Can’t wait to see them back in the playoffs the next few years! Great season guys.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Not a Sabres fan, but just popping in to say I was really rooting for you guys to get in. You have a really promising team ahead of you guys for years to come. Can’t wait to see them back in the playoffs the next few years! Great season guys.
Thanks!

Reactions: WiHockeyGuy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad