Playoffs?!?!? Playoffs?!?!?!

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
If the Pens win their game in regulation and we win all 3 in reg (assuming they also have a reg tie), we'd be tied on both RW and ROW at 32/40.

What is the tiebreak after ROW? Is it goal differential? If so, we need to light up Ottawa and especially Columbus

We may end up facing Carolina in round 1. We can beat Carolina in a 7 game series. We may not have to worry about Boston until the conference final
3rd tiebreaker is just wins. We'll win a tiebreaker with PIT if it comes down to that.

OK, someone needs to check my math here, but I'm pretty sure there's a scenario where the Sabres could go into Columbus and need to pull the goalie in OT to get a ROW. This is noteworthy because if you pull the goalie (except for a delayed penalty) and get scored on the empty net in OT, you forfeit the loser point.

1) Pittsburgh gets to 93 points with an OT win and an OT loss. This gives them 31 RW and 40 ROW
2) Buffalo wins the next two games in regulation, entering Columbus with 91 points, 31 RW, and 39 ROW.

In this case, you could see the rare "need to pull the goalie in OT" maneuver, because the Sabres would not be able to settle for a shootout.

(If the Pens win was in regulation, then the Sabres would need to pull the goalie in regulation of a tied game as well...)
What makes that tricky is that the Sabres may not need to pass Pittsburgh - it's possible that a SO win could get them past Florida and NYI. I guess the nice thing here is that we'll know ahead of time, since all three of the others play their final game before Friday.

Last edited:

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Best possible points for each team (along with their current points):

Panthers - 94 (92)
Penguins - 94 (90)
Islanders - 93 (91)
Sabres - 93 (87)

They can still catch every team ahead of them

If the Pens win their game in regulation and we win all 3 in reg (assuming they also have a reg tie), we'd be tied on both RW and ROW at 32/40.

What is the tiebreak after ROW? Is it goal differential? If so, we need to light up Ottawa and especially Columbus

We may end up facing Carolina in round 1. We can beat Carolina in a 7 game series. We may not have to worry about Boston until the conference final
Put down the bong!!
For a team looking to win the draft lottery they are up on the Wild in the 3rd. Can they win 2 B2B?
who would have thunk CHI would beat MIN (messing up their lottery hopes) AND the Isles and Panthers would lose, and (not that it matters in the playoff race for BUF) the Sens would beat the Canes. It's Bizarro world.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I just think there will be disappointment that turns to anger and hunger if they miss. The team will be on a mission.

I think if they make it there will be relief and then disappointment. I think the hunger will be there as well after getting a taste of it but I think it’ll be greater if they miss. If that makes sense. I guess it depends on how the series goes. If it’s a hard fought series then it’s beneficial.
The offseason is too long for any of that to be meaningful.

I want to finish our 50 win season next year remembering the experience they (players and staff) gained playing at playoff intensity in front of playoff crowds, needing to adjust etc.

I don't want to own the drought record outright

I don't want to waste the special seasons that Dahlin and Thompson had - injuries are always possible and there is no guarantee they ever produce like this again

it would be absolutely huge in a million ways big and small to get steamrolled by the Bruins

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
The offseason is too long for any of that to be meaningful.

I want to finish our 50 win season next year remembering the experience they (players and staff) gained playing at playoff intensity in front of playoff crowds, needing to adjust etc.

I don't want to own the drought record outright

I don't want to waste the special seasons that Dahlin and Thompson had - injuries are always possible and there is no guarantee they ever produce like this again

it would be absolutely huge in a million ways big and small to get steamrolled by the Bruins
I guess I’m just one of those fans that doesn’t really count the years since our last playoffs. I mean I saw that we won 39 games last game and had to actually look up when we last won 40.

The drought shouldn’t pass on to another GM/Coach/Core.

There is no wasted season. This core is just getting started. Injuries? This is just the beginning of a long run of success for the Sabres.

All I’m saying is playoffs or no playoffs, fans should view this season as a success.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I guess I’m just one of those fans that doesn’t really count the years since our last playoffs. I mean I saw that we won 39 games last game and had to actually look up when we last won 40.

The drought shouldn’t pass on to another GM/Coach/Core.

There is no wasted season. This core is just getting started. Injuries? This is just the beginning of a long run of success for the Sabres.

All I’m saying is playoffs or no playoffs, fans should view this season as a success.
Two sabres had special, historic seasons. It would be unfortunate for that to result in another "maybe this time next year they will get over the hump" because yes, historic seasons are never guaranteed

I feel strongly about their bright future as well but there are 6 months between their last game and the first one next year. There is no chance that missing will give them "more fire" than making it and losing. The idea is beyond silly

But there are a multitude of benefits to making it this year

Reactions: BuffaloMango

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Two sabres had special, historic seasons. It would be unfortunate for that to result in another "maybe this time next year they will get over the hump" because yes, historic seasons are never guaranteed

I feel strongly about their bright future as well but there are 6 months between their last game and the first one next year. There is no chance that missing will give them "more fire" than making it and losing. The idea is beyond silly

But there are a multitude of benefits to making it this year
Let’s be honest most people want to make the playoffs because it’s right there, close, they can smell it.

Getting dominated round 1 will just make the offseason about how far away we are. I know how this works. Look at Bills fans. They now think our window closed when in reality we have a franchise QB 26 years old, our window is wide open for a while.

I’m going to be pumped either way, playoffs or no playoffs.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Let’s be honest most people want to make the playoffs because it’s right there, close, they can smell it.

Getting dominated round 1 will just make the offseason about how far away we are. I know how this works. Look at Bills fans. They now think our window closed when in reality we have a franchise QB 26 years old, our window is wide open for a while.

I’m going to be pumped either way, playoffs or no playoffs.
Sorry man, there's no substance here

Missing the playoffs doesn't mean the season was bad, but making them is objectively better than missing them, for this team and fanbase, on every possible level

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
April 11th 2023 - NHL EC Wildcard Playoff Watch - Sabres edition.

***Current Standings***
-----------------------------------

Panthers 92 points, 1 GR, 36 RW max 94

Islanders 91 points, 1 GR, 35 RW max 93

----------------------------------

Penguins 90 points, 2 GR, 31 RW max 94

**Sabres 87 points, 3 GR, 29 RW max 93**

***Controls Playoffs Destiny***

Panthers: Yes

Penguins: Yes

Islanders: No

**Sabres: No**

***Last night's results:***

***Mon 4/10 BUF 3 @ NYR 2 - F/SO***

Mon 4/10 TOR 2 @ FLA 1 - F/OT

Mon 4/10 NYI 2 @ WAS 5 - F

***Today's Games:***

***Tues 4/11 BUF @ NJD - 1900 EDT***

Tues 4/11 CHI @ PIT - 1900 EDT

***Upcoming games:***

Wed 4/12 MON @ NYI - 1900 EDT

Thur 4/13 CAR @ FLA - 1900 EDT

***Thur 4/13 OTT @ BUF - 1900 EDT***

***Fri 4/14 BUF @ CBJ - 1930 EDT***

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Who is surprised? This is exactly where most of us predicted they'd finish.

Yes and no.

A lot of us predicted they would end up with 85-90pts. But that was in the context of it taking 100pts to make the playoffs in the East last season. We were basically saying we expected them to improve but playoffs weren't going to happen. Some even thought we had a shot at the 8th or 9th overall pick landing in that point range.

I don’t think anyone making the 85-90pt prediction expected playoffs. About the closest I can remember is @The Blunder Years. IIRC he predicted low 90s in points and making the playoffs. So props to him. His dream is still alive.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yes and no.

A lot of us predicted they would end up with 85-90pts. But that was in the context of it taking 100pts to make the playoffs in the East last season. We were basically saying we expected them to improve but playoffs weren't going to happen. Some even thought we had a shot at the 8th or 9th overall pick landing in that point range.

I don’t think anyone making the 85-90pt prediction expected playoffs. About the closest I can remember is @The Blunder Years. IIRC he predicted low 90s in points and making the playoffs. So props to him. His dream is still alive.
Yeah, the mark to make the playoffs in the East is 5-10 points lower than I expected heading into the season.

I was hoping for an 85-ish point season and the team was on the edge of the playoffs. They are way closer than I expected and even if the odds win out and they just miss, I think this has been a really good step forward for the team.

And the expectations for next season should absolutely be that they make the playoffs.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Yeah, the mark to make the playoffs in the East is 5-10 points lower than I expected heading into the season.

I was hoping for an 85-ish point season and the team was on the edge of the playoffs. They are way closer than I expected and even if the odds win out and they just miss, I think this has been a really good step forward for the team.

And the expectations for next season should absolutely be that they make the playoffs.

I would add that the "playoff experience" that most want these kids to experience is exactly what they've been playing through the past half dozen or so games.

There may not be an "X" next to their name in the standings, but these games down the stretch have been invaluable for their growth.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I would add that the "playoff experience" that most want these kids to experience is exactly what they've been playing through the past half dozen or so games.

There may not be an "X" next to their name in the standings, but these games down the stretch have been invaluable for their growth.
And the fact that they have gone 7-1-1 after going 2-8-2 and sliding into "every game is a must win" territory and they didn't pack it in is great for growth.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Yep. It’s the first time most of these players have been in a playoff race. Its great experience they can build off.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad