Playoffs "likely" to expand according to Goodell

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
“It's a tough one," Goodell said. "And the reason I say that is it works so well right now. We have 12 teams that qualify for the playoffs and what it does is it's not just the number of teams in the playoffs, it's what it does to our regular season. I think that's what makes the NFL great is every game means so much. That game means a great deal. You don't ever want to lose that. You don't want to lose the fact that every regular-season game is important. And only having 12 teams qualify, which is the smallest of any of the professional leagues by far, that's a good thing for us.”

You sure about that, Roger? :biglaugh:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The commissioner of the NFL can't think clearly? Shocker.

Under this format last year, the 10-6 Jets and 8-8 Falcons get in. The Jets were playing like hot garbage coming down the stretch and Atlanta had no business being anywhere near a playoff spot. Horrible. Unless if they do a MLB style play in game for the last wild card spot, i don't see this working very well (even then, do we want to let more garbage in?)

At least when the MLB expanded the playoffs it made total sense, since the way the MLB is set up pretty much 99.9% of the time produces a team in each league that deserves to get at least one game for a shot at a wild card. You're not gonna get a situation where a division spits out like 3 90+ win teams like the NL central did last year, but you usually get a team in the high 80/low 90 win mark. That's fine.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
There have been a few years where 8-8 teams have made the Wild Card. The more you expand the playoffs, the more likely 6 and 7 win teams will make the playoffs. That's like an MLB team making the playoffs with 100 losses. Just absurd. Leave it the way it is.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I wouldn't mind expanding to 16. I hate divisions but if you really want to value them either give every division winner a bye....or if you don't you could have everyone play round 1.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
The NFL has gotten progressively worse every year under Goodell. Can anyone name one good thing/change the NFL has did/made under him?

And don't say "MADE MOAR MONEY!!1!" because that was going to happen no matter who the commissioner was: him, Tagliabue, Condolezza Rice, whoever.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The NFL has gotten progressively worse every year under Goodell. Can anyone name one good thing/change the NFL has did/made under him?

And don't say "MADE MOAR MONEY!!1!" because that was going to happen no matter who the commissioner was: him, Tagliabue, Condolezza Rice, whoever.
A Rhesus Macaque....

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Lets not forget how instrumental he was in having the NFL throughly embarrassed in court last year, along with himself.

The playoffs expanding would be nice for a team like the Jets who missed even tho they were 10-6 but I'm on the fence about it.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Come down to money in multiple ways; obviously more in attendance and tv, but it will keep fans of meddling teams interested in the regular season because their team will still have a chance to make he playoffs. In this 'it isn't good unless it's the best' society, unfortunately this is what is happening. People have stopped going and watching bad teams.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Lets not forget how instrumental he was in having the NFL throughly embarrassed in court last year, along with himself.

The playoffs expanding would be nice for a team like the Jets who missed even tho they were 10-6 but I'm on the fence about it.

But you'd also add the 8-8 Falcons.

If you're doing this so a 10-6 team don't miss out then you're better off going with just the 12 best teams or 8 division winners and next 4 regardless of conference. Not saying I agree with either of those but it's a lot better than expanding to 14 or 16 teams.

And really how often does a 10-6 team miss the playoffs anyway, once every 5 years?

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere

Making extra points longer. It actually did cost the patriots a potential chance to go to the SB.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad