Playoffs Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
No , it would be nice to have a playoff game on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday sometime, or not on a major holiday.

In order for that to happen I think the Jackets need to be the higher seed in a match up.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
No , it would be nice to have a playoff game on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday sometime, or not on a major holiday.

Perks of being the higher seed. It shouldn’t be a surprise. The schedule is typically Wed/Fri or Thur/Sat at the higher seeded team and Sun/Tue or Mon/Wed at lower seed. If only CBJ would finish 1st or 2nd in the Metro to make it easier on themselves.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Sigh. Why does it have to be Sunday. If I can make this happen I’m going to have to take off on Monday to drive home.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Lose in 5 realistically!! If we win 2 that would be huge accomplishment. Tb only lost 16 games in regulation all year!! That 80% regulation wins.

Will be fun! Hope for huge upset!!

They “only” had 56 ROW. That’s 68% of their games, not 80%. Further, by my count, they had 8 OT (non-shootout) wins. So they won 59% of their games in regulation.

This is gonna be tough for sure. But it wouldn’t be a “miracle” for us to win the series. The 05-06 Red Wings had 58 wins, 124 points and a +95 GD. They lost in 6 games (couldn’t even force a game 7) to an Edmonton team with a worse record than us.

We are a good team. Tampa’s a great team and has fared very well against us, but that was the regular season and we didn’t have Duchene, Dzingel or Texier. All we have to do is win 4 out of 7. We don’t need to win 500 out of 999. Bob can get hot, we can have our numerous 20+ scorers step up, etc. We can do this.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
It's going to take a huge efforts to overcome Tampa, but I'm pulling for the upset. I'm thinking for that to happen:
* must prevent the odd man rushes - DMen play disciplined
* stay out of the penalty box
* have some - just some - PP success
* get Cam and Andy cookin' and max our overall scoring depth
* our Russians must be better than theirs - most importantly, Bob has to play like he did down the stretch.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
It's going to take a huge efforts to overcome Tampa, but I'm pulling for the upset. I'm thinking for that to happen:
* our Russians must be better than theirs - most importantly, Bob has to play like he did down the stretch.

Pretty much agree. In particular, out of your list, #1 is the one that we can really control from a strategy/coaching perspective. You’re right about the others on your list, too, but that’s more on individual players to step up and/or not make mistakes.

But Torts/the coaching staff really, really need to be careful about “safe is death”/defensemen joining the rush. I know being aggressive offensively from our D-men is our mantra, but, other than the PP, odd-man rushes is how Tampa can kill you. If we were playing the Islanders, safe is death is fine, and maybe necessary. But not Tampa.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
"They put on their pants one leg at a time the same as everybody else."

But when they put their pants on, they win President’s Trophies.

upload_2019-4-7_12-42-56.jpeg

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Pretty much agree. In particular, out of your list, #1 is the one that we can really control from a strategy/coaching perspective. You’re right about the others on your list, too, but that’s more on individual players to step up and/or not make mistakes.

But Torts/the coaching staff really, really need to be careful about “safe is death”/defensemen joining the rush. I know being aggressive offensively from our D-men is our mantra, but, other than the PP, odd-man rushes is how Tampa can kill you. If we were playing the Islanders, safe is death is fine, and maybe necessary. But not Tampa.
Absolutely .. We need to totally dump the safe is death garbage . We have the forwards needed to generate plenty of offense . We need to go to a Trotz type game plan . Trap the heck out of them , muck it up . Slow down their top line , we have much better depth . But there is 0 reason to have our defenseman jumping up against this team .

Reactions: Jive Pawnbroker

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
On point 1: If I see Scott Harrington below the top of offensive circle a single time in this series, I might get an aneurysm.

Reactions: JKinCLE

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
My keys to the series:

-Play physical, but don’t try to focus on it like we did against the Pens that one year. Don’t go for a hit when the puck is already behind you.
-Play fast, and focus on it. Breakout quickly, and try to carry the puck into the zone more often than dumping the puck.
-Stay out of the box. We’ve been pretty good at this throughout the year.
-Leave the offensive plays by the defense to Seth, Zach, and Nuti. I would prefer to not see much “safe is death” in this series.
-Give Tex and Bjork ice time. Ride the hot hand in Bjork especially.
-Do not switch up the lines between games or in the middle of games if we don’t score for a period (for the love of god)
-Dubi and Nash should not get much ice time, IMO. Honestly I would play Hannikainen over Dubi. Dubi has been awful defensively and Hanni adds more speed to the lineup.
-Most importantly, play loose and don’t get frustrated. Don’t let goals against compound.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Well, one thing is for sure the coaching staff is going to need to make sure major adjustments. We can't go in with the same plan that lead us to being outscored 17-3 in the regular season. They are going to have to figure out how to contain the 3 40 goal scorers for a 7 game series. Kucherov only had 9 points in 3 games against us after all.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
1. Make it a really tight frustrating game. Don’t try to play to their skill. Islander it up. Going to need Bob to be the best he can be.

2. Don’t take penalties unless you have to.

If they follow these two steps, then we can see where the chips fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad