GDT: Playoffs Discussion Thread III (Every time you post about politics, we cut off one of your fingers)

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
For more laughs in our enjoyment, that three-way trade which sent Kyle Quincey for Steve Downie, Detroit Red Wings then traded their first rounder to Lightning for Quincey. That first rounder so happened to be the one which Tampa Bay selected Andrei Vasilevskiy.

Yeah but then we traded Downie straight up for Talbot so it's all good.

giphy.gif

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I mean we could keep going with this in terms of injuries too, but it doesn't discount the point I was making about the Avs poor shot blocking.

It's not THE reason they lost but it's one of many. A few more big blocks and they don't give up so many goals to a Dallas team that can't score.

Stanley Cup winning teams are good shot blocking teams and the Avs weren't in the playoffs.
Shot blocking and just better point coverage would have shut down Dallas offense. They solely rely on point shots, screens, deflections, and rebounds.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
I'll enjoy next week because who knows what will happen after that. We're not out of the woods and they don't want to play in a bubble again.

Here we just learned tonight that they are closing restaurants and bars AGAIN, 2nd virus wave is already out of control. It's going to be a LONG winter.

the NFL is piloting the non-bubble season pretty well, as is MLB. I think we’ll see sports continue, it’s just whether or not fans will be allowed in attendance.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Glad Tampa won. I really thought they were the best team in paper in the NHL by a pretty solid margin and I’m glad that’s the team that won to prevent any “covid cup” or “not a real playoffs” argument.

The best team grinded away while living in a real life bubble for two months and made their way through the 24 best teams in the league to win the Stanley Cup. That’s a winner.

Now... Tradezzzzzz

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Well deserved by Tampa, they have to be the envy of the league when it comes to drafting, developing and finding hidden gems. Even without their franchise player they had so much depth, especially with that forward core.

Point, Kucherov, Killorn, Gourde, Johnson, Palat, Cirelli and Paquette. Just amazing eyes for finding talent. Even if they sell off some of these guys, they are still going to be great with all the futures they recieve.

Last edited:
Reactions: Metallo

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
It
Yeah that's embarrassing. I'm sure it's shitty to have to do that but he's straight up pouting. Speak.
Agreed. It’s not like he just lost in a game 7 OT after leading a series 3-1. He must have seen it coming. Prepare yourself, get up there and salute your teamates and coaches properly.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Stars fans blaming injuries makes me so happy.
It is kinda funny and ironic. As Avs fans I saw plenty of posts mentioning how we had crippling injury problems and the Dallas fans for the most part didn't want to hear it, saying it isn't an excuse and that they were just straight the better team etc etc. Now the tables have turned they lose some lower lineup guys like Comeau and that's the reason that lost.

The fact is, yes they lost some guys. Probably the biggest name was either Hintz or Comeau. But that means all your big names were out there. Top dmen were all fine, top offensive guys were out there, and the goalie you played the entire time was there. Injuries weren't why they lost, simply not being as good as Tampa is why they lost.

Compare that to the Avs where were ended playing a 3rd string goalie for 3 straight elim games, our best defensive dman, our captain for game 7, etc. that's injury problems, not this BS we lost some 3rd/4th liners crap, you should have guys that can come in and fill in for those types.

Reactions: Zolik37

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Injuries happen... all teams go through them. Stammer basically couldn't play. McD, Cirelli, and Point (especially) were playing at less than 80%. Just when Dallas lost their center depth, they lost any chance at an advantage they could have had (even then they didn't have it). Tampa was just a better team and the series wasn't really as close as 6 games would have you imagine.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I can rest easy until next season now that the Lightning have won the cup. A Stars victory would have been punishing.

The best team won the cup.

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
I hope this is the nature of rivalries and being a fan of the Avs, but I take great delight in Dallas’ defeat in the SCF. I am also pleased to see Jamie Benn pouting at the conference.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
What an embarrassing interview by Benn. I get that you’re upset to lose, but you have to go out and talk to the media. It’s what you signed up for by taking on the captaincy; all you had to do was go out and respond with 3 cliches but instead you go out and pout and don’t answer? Lol

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Injuries happen... all teams go through them. Stammer basically couldn't play. McD, Cirelli, and Point (especially) were playing at less than 80%. Just when Dallas lost their center depth, they lost any chance at an advantage they could have had (even then they didn't have it). Tampa was just a better team and the series wasn't really as close as 6 games would have you imagine.
This Dallas team might go down as one of the worst teams that ever made the Stanley Cup Finals, up there with 1996 Florida, 2007 Ottawa, and 2006 Edmonton. If Covid didn't happen, I doubt they would've went that far and I still doubt they won't get there again with this current group.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad