GDT: Playoffs Discussion Thread III (Every time you post about politics, we cut off one of your fingers)

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
One of these teams won the Stanley Cup.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
One of this teams had a Vezina trophy winning goalie in net, the other had Hutchinson

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I mean I am still severely disappointed and will be going into that week, but since everything is so bunched up together I get the feeling these next two weeks will be crazy in terms of news, rumours, and happenings.
I'll enjoy next week because who knows what will happen after that. We're not out of the woods and they don't want to play in a bubble again.

Here we just learned tonight that they are closing restaurants and bars AGAIN, 2nd virus wave is already out of control. It's going to be a LONG winter.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
One of this teams had a Vezina trophy winning goalie in net, the other had Hutchinson

I mean we could keep going with this in terms of injuries too, but it doesn't discount the point I was making about the Avs poor shot blocking.

It's not THE reason they lost but it's one of many. A few more big blocks and they don't give up so many goals to a Dallas team that can't score.

Stanley Cup winning teams are good shot blocking teams and the Avs weren't in the playoffs.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I mean we could keep going with this in terms of injuries too, but it doesn't discount the point I was making about the Avs poor shot blocking.

It's not THE reason they lost but it's one of many. A few more big blocks and they don't give up so many goals to a Dallas team that can't score.

Stanley Cup winning teams are good shot blocking teams and the Avs weren't in the playoffs.
As I mentioned before, we can blame PP or PK or ineffective 3rd line or whatever, but if Tampa is on their 3rd string goalie, they weren't gonna get passed the Blue Jackets or the Isles, and wouldn't have the cup right now.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
As I mentioned before, we can blame PP or PK or ineffective 3rd line or whatever, but if Tampa is on their 3rd string goalie, they weren't gonna get passed the Blue Jackets and wouldn't have the cup right now.

The Avs were three minutes away from beating Dallas with Hutchinson in net.

The difference was an unfocused play by Kadri turning the puck over to tie the game, and an unfocused Kadri not blocking the centering pass on the OT goal, plus nobody going down to block the shot from the slot.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yeah but they wouldn't get passed Vegas with Hutchinson

Still doesn't discount my point about shot blocking not being good enough. I'm not convinced they couldn't have beaten Vegas with Hutchinson either, but we'll never know.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I'm pretty sure no team has ever won the cup with their 3rd string goalie in NHL history

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Still doesn't discount my point about shot blocking not being good enough. I'm not convinced they couldn't have beaten Vegas with Hutchinson either, but we'll never know.
What Avs lacked in shot blocking or bad PK or whatever, they made up with MacK's historical playoff run. If Avs stayed relatively healthy, MacK and company could have taken them all the way. Not to mention, Mikko was the 2nd leading scorer behind MacK

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
What Avs lacked in shot blocking or bad PK or whatever, they made up with MacK's historical playoff run. If Avs stayed relatively healthy, MacK and company could have taken them all the way. Not to mention, Mikko was the 2nd leading scorer behind MacK

Imagine if they had all of that plus decent special teams and/or shot blocking.

They lost to Dallas by one OT goal in game 7 after having the lead with three minutes to go in regulation. The slightest improvement in any of those areas could have made a difference.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I'm pretty sure we don't know that Grubauer and Frank weren't going to be back before the finals.
I think we knew Grubauer wouldn't because he left the bubble and went home. Francouz may have been back sometime, but the point is, pretty much every cup winning team avoids key injuries. They may have one or two like Stamkos, or Forsberg in 2001, but you just can't lose what Avs lost early in the 2nd round and expect to go far

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Imagine if they had all of that plus decent special teams and/or shot blocking.

They lost to Dallas by one OT goal in game 7. The slightest improvement in any of those areas could have made a difference.
Yeah well, im looking at the bigger picture. If Avs didn't lose Grubauer in the 1st game of that series, they would probably beat Dallas in 5 or 6, they wouldn't even have to worry about game 7

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think we knew Grubauer wouldn't because he left the bubble and went home. Francouz may have been back sometime, but the point is, pretty much every cup winning team avoid key injuries. They may have one or two like Stamkos, or Forsberg in 2001, but you just can't lose what Avs lost early in the 2nd round and expect to go far

They might have been able to get through one more round against Vegas though, who only won one game against Dallas. The team the Avs were about to beat. Then got a little healthier for the finals.

Reactions: the_fan

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I don't think Avs have to tweak that much. One more impact player and another goalie.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
They might have been able to get through one more round against Vegas though, who only won one game against Dallas. The team the Avs were about to beat. Then got a little healthier for the finals.
You mentioned PK, don't forget that the Avs were missing some of their top PK guys. First of all Grubauer, because they say goalie is your most important PKer, then EJ and Calvert, very important on PK, and also Donskoi

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yeah well, im looking at the bigger picture. If Avs didn't lose Grubauer in the 1st game of that series, they would probably beat Dallas in 5 or 6, they wouldn't even have to worry about game 7

Think about it this way. Personally, I think they could have beaten Dallas in 6 even with all those injuries and Hutchinson in net, if they would have showed up for game 4 after the mini pause.

They almost beat the Stars three games in a row after they woke up, and even after sleepwalking through most of that game 4, they still only lost 5-4.

As you can see from those shot blocking gifs I posted, that was Game 4 where they gave up those two goals with pathetic shot blocking attempts. Some key blocks on those goals and they easily could have won.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Think about it this way. Personally, I think they could have beaten Dallas in 6 even with all those injuries and Hutchinson in net, if they would have showed up for game 4 after the mini pause.

They almost beat the Stars three games in a row after they woke up, and even after sleepwalking through most of that game 4, they still only lost 5-4.

As you can see from those shot blocking gifs I posted, that was Game 4 where they gave up those two goals with pathetic shot blocking attempts. Some key blocks on those goals and they easily could have won.
I dont necessary disagree, but on one of those goals, not only shot blockers failed, but Francouz went for a swim. It was combination of bad defense and goaltending. I don't wanna keep beating the dead horse, but maybe if Grubauer, EJ and Calvert were out there on those PK situations, it would have been different.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I dont necessary disagree, but on one of those goals, not only shot blockers failed, but Francouz went for a swim. It was combination of bad defense and goaltending. I don't wanna keep beating the dead horse, but maybe if Grubauer, EJ and Calvert were out there on those PK situations, it would have been different.

Good chance EJ or Calvert gets in the lane to block those shots too. ;)

Reactions: the_fan

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I don't think Avs have to tweak that much. One more impact player and another goalie.
Don't think they even need goalie if Grubauer and Francouz can stay healthy. I think Sakic will go with them another year, if they get hurt again and prove to be injury prone, then he'll make a change

Reactions: McMetal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
For once, it feels like the best team actually won the Stanley Cup. It feels like forever since we could actually say that. Usually, some team goes on a run or there's a major upset somewhere along the way, but I think for once it feels like the inevitable happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad