Playoff series: Toronto vs. Montreal. Who takes it?

Toronto vs. Montreal.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
This is the best possible matchup for Toronto. Even their D is better than Montreals. Everything on Price, but still went Toronto in 5.

The best possible matchup would be either Calgary or Vancouver, for the exact same reason and that is that either team would have to go on a wild run to get in leaving both completely spent by playoff time.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
This is the best possible matchup for Toronto. Even their D is better than Montreals. Everything on Price, but still went Toronto in 5.

Actually it's probably their second worst. Toronto has struggled ginding against physical teams in the playoffs recently.

We also saw similar problems faced by Tampa.

Only team I think that would be worse for the leafs in the Canadian division is the Jets as I feel like they are a better version of the Habs the same way the leafs are a better version of the Oilers.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
The best possible matchup would be either Calgary or Vancouver, for the exact same reason and that is that either team would have to go on a wild run to get in leaving both completely spent by playoff time.
Yeah, probably. I didnt realize how adequate Vancouver was until recently

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Leafs like making it close but have yet to win a single series with this core. Add on how few teams have won even a single round with one player making over 10mil. I'd say Montreal in 7.

I could've made so much money betting against the leafs over the years.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Leafs in 6, but I think the Habs can definitely give em a run for their money or stretch it out t0 7 games

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Actually it's probably their second worst. Toronto has struggled ginding against physical teams in the playoffs recently.

We also saw similar problems faced by Tampa.

Only team I think that would be worse for the leafs in the Canadian division is the Jets as I feel like they are a better version of the Habs the same way the leafs are a better version of the Oilers.
Hilarious that you are conflating the Habs "grinding" game with that of prime Boston, Washington, and Columbus. All three of those teams were some of the heaviest clubs in the league with top notch coaching/systems. MTL has nothing close to Werenski-Jones or Chara-McAvoy and Ducharme is clueless.

The Habs are a homeless version of those teams. The Leafs were also overwhelming underdogs in 3/4 of those series, yet they "struggled" to take the favourites to 7 games, down to the wire. Not to mention this Leafs team is way more built for a dog fight of a series. Simmonds, Foligno, Bogosian, Muzzin, Holl, Hyman, Thornton, Noesen, etc. can hang in there physically with anything in the division.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The #4 seed in the North is complete ass, regardless of which team ends up in that spot between Vancouver, Montreal or Calgary. Toronto is winning in 5 games regardless of who they face (gotta give a bit of leeway for a hot goaltending performance or poor puck luck in one game).

Reactions: Mats13

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I feel like if it gets to game 6 the Habs win in 7

A long series against the Habs will be brutal.

So I think it will either be

Leafs in 5

Or

Habs in 7

Habs biggest issue for a lot of the season is dumb penalties from being overly aggressive. Those don't get called in the playoffs much.

Our starting Dcore

Chiarot 6'3 - Weber 6'4
Edmunson 6'4 - Petry 6'3
Romanov 6'0 - Merril 6'3

(Romanov lays the most big hits)

Along with Anderson, KK, Perry, Armia. That's a lot of big bodies to wear down players.

In the end I'll vote for the Habs in 7 cause murder is legal in the playoffs.
Now do size as a team. Who’s a bigger team? Oh, right. We had to nit pick a stat to show the Habs are bigger. They also have lead feet back there aside from Romanov and Petry to a lesser extent.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

For Calgary or Vancouver to make the playoffs, they'd have to go on some crazy winning streak - like 7-8 straight wins or something.

That's your best case scenario? Leafs haven't won a playoff round in ages, and to counter that you're hoping to play the hypothetical hottest team in the league heading into the playoffs?

The90

Feb 27, 2017
"Compare your 4th stringer to our backup so I can find a stat that supports my argument"
Literally the point of what I said. He made something up and I proved how stupid it was. I don’t think hutch is as good as Allen, but campbell has had better numbers over multiple seasons, yes in less games.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Just to put this out there.

Montreal is 6 points behind Winnipeg, with 1 game in hand. Let's say they win that game in hand, it's now 4 points. And the 2 teams play each other this week.

I'd love a Toronto/Montreal matchup, but I don't think the standings are necessarily set in-stone yet. Montreal seems to have a better chance of catching Winnipeg than they do of falling out of playoff spot.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
The truth is Carey Price isn't Carey Price anymore and hasn't been in years, at his peak he was the best goalie in the game but he's not that anymore and without him being that guy I don't see how Montreal wins
He just has to be better than what the Leafs have in net and that should be quite easily done.

But in all seriousness it depends on which team we face. The regular season Leafs or the constant choking playoff Leafs.

Last edited:

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Depends how healthy we are when the playoffs start. Obviously getting Gallagher back would be a huge boost, along with if Byron, Drouin, and Tatar who have all been day-to-day lately can be fully healed in time for the playoffs

But we've been competitive in pretty much every game with the Leafs this year, obviously their high-powered offense will always be dangerous but the lack of penalties in the playoffs should favour us over them

GoBuds14

Dec 15, 2015
I find the Leafs round 1 struggles a bit overblown. They were not the better team against Boston either time, and especially against Washington. They were very competitive in those series. The Columbus series was one that they absolutely should have won. This years team is quite different from years past.

That being said, Montreal has the ability to steal a series. The potential for hot goaltending is there and they have good depth. They have huge question marks still on elite skill, defence, and goaltending has been mediocre at best.

The Leafs certainly have goaltending and defence issues as well which can open the door for a hardworking team like Montreal

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Only way the Habs win is if they rise to the occasion to perform at their best and the Leafs falter. This very well could happen. But when you look at both rosters and look at the standings the Leafs should win this series.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I find the Leafs round 1 struggles a bit overblown. They were not the better team against Boston either time, and especially against Washington. They were very competitive in those series. The Columbus series was one that they absolutely should have won. This years team is quite different from years past.

That being said, Montreal has the ability to steal a series. The potential for hot goaltending is there and they have good depth. They have huge question marks still on elite skill, defence, and goaltending has been mediocre at best.

The Leafs certainly have goaltending and defence issues as well which can open the door for a hardworking team like Montreal
I’m not convinced the Habs have better defence

Last edited:

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Habs will get killed down the middle by Matthews/Tavares and don't have a winger that can match the skill of Marner or Nylander. The leafs offense will be to much for Montreal

Reactions: Mats13

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015

You don't have to be the better regular season team to win a series in the playoffs.

The fact this core hasn't been able to rise above and win even a single series is definitely cause for concern. Losing to columbus proved that having more skill doesn't automatically mean we win. It takes heart and will, something the leafs haven't shown yet.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Habs will get killed down the middle by Matthews/Tavares and don't have a winger that can match the skill of Marner or Nylander. The leafs offense will be to much for Montreal

Toffoli and Anderson have 11 more goals than Marner/Nylander.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Toffoli and Anderson have 11 more goals than Marner/Nylander.
Well if we are comparing the goal scorers let's compare Toffoli and Anderson to Matthews and Tavares.

If you want to compare play makers who's better than Marner and Nylander?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Well if we are comparing the goal scorers let's compare Toffoli and Anderson to Matthews and Tavares.

If you want to compare play makers who's better than Marner and Nylander?

I chose to compare wingers, as you said who’s better than Marner , Nylander on wing.
Centre comparisons you win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad