Playoff Push 2015: Oilers win 3-2 in a shootout

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
A win feels strange but good! Klefbom with most Toi over 25 min!

Really hoping for a big win against the Flames, lets say 7-2!

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
You want them to get rid of the only dman with any offense? Because we have nothing else back there. The defense is a mess and has been neglected and management has been using half measures for far too long.

You ought to be mad at management, not Schultz.

I didn't say get rid of him did I?
Bench him, press box him, and limit TOI.

That said is he the only guy capable of offense? What if we spoon fed all the gravy minutes (pp, offensive zone starts with the first line) to someone else for a while?

Management can't give the guy a pass when he is responsible for ten chances against for every one he creates for.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Who else is generating offense from the back end?
Then you find a replacement. Schultz is hot garbage in his own end and barely produces offense anymore either. He had his ice time cut and still managed to almost cost us the game.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Schultz is still a work in progress but it was management and coaching that tried to develop him in a #1 defensive role. At least we've had enough sense to start limiting his ice time and competition.

He has at least started to show some willingness to engage and even made a nice hit last night and separated his man from the puck.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Schultz is still a work in progress but it was management and coaching that tried to develop him in a #1 defensive role. At least we've had enough sense to start limiting his ice time and competition.

He has at least started to show some willingness to engage and even made a nice hit last night and separated his man from the puck.

He might actually develop his D game once this team starts managing him rather than giving him #1 minutes without earning them.

He is given all the best minutes and is barely producing, and at what cost? Hunt got a couple goals too,I guess he should be our #2 guy.

You seem to prescribe to the Dallas Eakins school of logic there 'i am the liquor'

Oct 15, 2008
Then you find a replacement. Schultz is hot garbage in his own end and barely produces offense anymore either. He had his ice time cut and still managed to almost cost us the game.

We dont have a replacement. Anywhere in the system. That's kind of my point. The defense is horrifically bad because we dont have top pairing guys to carry the load, and the help they get from backpressure from the young forwards is minimal to non-existent.

Schultz has to be better. But if we are looking at getting rid of guys back there to improve things, he is one of the last to go along with Fayne and Klefbom.

Weve got guys back there who are just as bad if not worse defensively who bring zero offense. Get rid of them first. Frankly Im tired of watching Jeff Petry wander off into a corner by himself during scrums after our goal has been run over. He would be number one on the list.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Like when he was stopping 4/4 in the shootout?

Scrivens was heroic in the 3rd period as well which resembled a 20min Kings PP. Kings outshot the Oil 15-1 and were storming the cage relentlessly.

Oilers also gave up 15 shots in 2nd period where Scrivens was called upon to make key saves.

Scrivens played very well in this game and was the best Oiler. That he's being criticized for the two that did get in is more due to his position than his play.

Its always the easiest thing to look at. Oh look at that one that got in.. Its not like he's giving up shots from center ice. A puck squeaked through his pad while he was under intense barrage. It happens. Quick wasn't too happy either with the ones that got by him. Particularly Perrons goal. My lord Perron is funny. Even in scoring he does it like a jackass completely undressing the goalie. Quick bit on the fake. Perron made one of the best goalies on the planet look stupid. It happens because players are good. The fake was world class from a pretty skilled player. I love watching that goal btw. Perron scoring is often fun.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Sure, whatever you say. He made a lot of saves, those goal were awful.
The first one was a lucky rocket f of a shot from an elite player. The second one was a bad goal sure. He was peppered that entire period and in overtime and made great saves. One bad goal doesn't negate that

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The first one was a lucky rocket f of a shot from an elite player. The second one was a bad goal sure. He was peppered that entire period and in overtime and made great saves. One bad goal doesn't negate that

The first one I will kinda let go, it wasn't a rocket, it was a shot from the point that hit something on the way that he kind of ducked out of the way out it. Tougher for sure, but should have been better on it.

The 2nd goal was just atrocious, what's he doing on that play? It makes no sense.

No it doesn't take away the rest of the game, but the pattern of bad goals, that continued, means he still wasn't good enough. I don't care if the goalies get beat 5 times, 10 times, as long as they are good, tough goals. Those 2 weren't.

He played well otherwise, but 1.5 bad goals still holds the team back.

McDeathbyCheerios*

The first one I will kinda let go, it wasn't a rocket, it was a shot from the point that hit something on the way that he kind of ducked out of the way out it. Tougher for sure, but should have been better on it.

The 2nd goal was just atrocious, what's he doing on that play? It makes no sense.

No it doesn't take away the rest of the game, but the pattern of bad goals, that continued, means he still wasn't good enough. I don't care if the goalies get beat 5 times, 10 times, as long as they are good, tough goals. Those 2 weren't.

He played well otherwise, but 1.5 bad goals still holds the team back.
The second goal he was trying to hug the pole and it snuck in. Happens to goalies all the time. The thing is letting in bad goals is fixable. He stops much more then he let's in and he was the reason it wasn't a blow out third period.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Those goals were terrible. I would agree, if either was remotely hard to stop

WTF are you talking about. That Doughty goal goes in on 95% of the goaltenders in the league. The second goal I'll give you as a poor one, but why the **** does J. Schultz take a high sticking penalty 150 feet away from his net on a guy without a stick. Scrivens is one of the last guys we should be blaming for this loss.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Scrivens was heroic in the 3rd period as well which resembled a 20min Kings PP. Kings outshot the Oil 15-1 and were storming the cage relentlessly.

Oilers also gave up 15 shots in 2nd period where Scrivens was called upon to make key saves.

Scrivens played very well in this game and was the best Oiler. That he's being criticized for the two that did get in is more due to his position than his play.

Its always the easiest thing to look at. Oh look at that one that got in.. Its not like he's giving up shots from center ice. A puck squeaked through his pad while he was under intense barrage. It happens. Quick wasn't too happy either with the ones that got by him. Particularly Perrons goal. My lord Perron is funny. Even in scoring he does it like a jackass completely undressing the goalie. Quick bit on the fake. Perron made one of the best goalies on the planet look stupid. It happens because players are good. The fake was world class from a pretty skilled player. I love watching that goal btw. Perron scoring is often fun.
One of the first shootouts I watched Perron is I think was against the Devils... Eberle does a deal forehand to back hand and beats him. Then very next Shooter Perron comes in and does the identical move and beats him to and he looked so pissed he fell for it twice. So cheeky

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
WTF are you talking about. That Doughty goal goes in on 95% of the goaltenders in the league. The second goal I'll give you as a poor one, but why the **** does J. Schultz take a high sticking penalty 150 feet away from his net on a guy without a stick. Scrivens is one of the last guys we should be blaming for this loss.

Ugh, they didn't lose, and I'm not blaming him for all it, he's part of why they lost a 2-0 lead. If it were Dubnyk, he would be getting crushed, as he should be. Scrivens had a solid game otherwise, the goals weren't great, and the 2nd of the 2, regardless of your "feelings" about Schultz, was just awful.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The second goal he was trying to hug the pole and it snuck in. Happens to goalies all the time. The thing is letting in bad goals is fixable. He stops much more then he let's in and he was the reason it wasn't a blow out third period.

To bad goalies, sure, he was terrible on that play.

Bad goals aren't fixable, if it was the this team's goaltending wouldn't still be terrible

McDeathbyCheerios*

To bad goalies, sure, he was terrible on that play.

Bad goals aren't fixable, if it was the this team's goaltending wouldn't still be terrible
Bad goals can be ironed out with work. Look at Dubnyk this year.

Also we often let in tons of high high quality shots in a row. Quick would look bad here. Scrivens isn't great but he isn't awful either.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Like when he was stopping 4/4 in the shootout?

Let's not exaggerate..3 of the 4 were missed shots. One hit him. Having said that, he played a good game considering.

Really? It was the middle of the net. Him just standing up in normal position it would have hit him.
I'd say more like 95% of the goalies would have stopped it.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Ugh, they didn't lose, and I'm not blaming him for all it, he's part of why they lost a 2-0 lead. If it were Dubnyk, he would be getting crushed, as he should be. Scrivens had a solid game otherwise, the goals weren't great, and the 2nd of the 2, regardless of your "feelings" about Schultz, was just awful.

This team never should have let it get to that point. Score the 3rd goal on the PP that was immediately prior to that and it's game over. Schultz compounded the problem with his atrocious penalty. This team still sucks and goaltending is one of the last things I'd be changing. I watch a lot of games around the league and a ton of goaltenders give up 1 or 2 "bad" goals a game. Theres only so many elite guys who can stand on their head and not have anything trickle through.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Let's not exagerate..3 of the 4 were missed shots. One hit him. Having said that, he played a good game considering.

Really? It was the middle of the net. Him just standing up in normal position it would have hit him.
I'd say more like 95% of the goalies would have stopped it.

Have you ever played goalie and had to look around a screen? Doughty was moving laterally which got Scrivens moving laterally on the play and the puck is shot against the way Scrivens is moving which handcuffs him. Great goal by Doughty IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad