Pre-Game Talk: Playoff Preview: Washington Capitals (1st Metro) v Toronto Maple Leafs (2nd WildCard)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Look at it this way, we're going to the prom, we're just hard pressed to get an invite to the afterparty.

That's not saying we can't, we're just gonna have to work for it.

Edit: This was the PC version of that analogy :laugh:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
If the Leafs can steal one of the first two in Washington things could get interesting. The more games the Leafs win, the more pressure mounts on the Caps.

Holtby hasn't been the best against the Leafs this season - he could be the X factor

I fully expect three full days off will get this team rested so they can get back to the game that got them to the playoffs.. And maybe a lacklustre game against the Caps last Tuesday could see the Caps sleep a bit early on - enough to allow the Leafs to steal a game on the road.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Look at it this way, we're going to the prom, we're just hard pressed to get an invite to the afterparty.

I like the explicit version a whole lot more

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Hope the Leafs and Babcock have tapes of what Pittsburgh did to Washington last year. They can us it.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010

The hangover comes to mind

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Yeah, we are a better team than Montreal was when they upset them but I think so are the Caps.

If we somehow pull this off, Caps fans are going to be depressed for a while.

They might just have to trade Ovechkin if that happens:laugh:
The pressure is all on them. I have no expectations. Just take as many lessons as you can from this experience. Its been a wonderful season and I am happy with the progression. With that being said, I feel like we will take 1 of the first 2 games in Washington.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Hope the Leafs and Babcock have tapes of what Pittsburgh did to Washington last year. They can us it.

We dont have the defence or experience for that, however anything can happen in the playoffs. The pressure is all on Washington!

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
this is the thing.

the Leafs adjust relatively well.
they also tend to do really well with rest AND practice - which they will have 3 days.
they'll have a tough game one (maybe - more than likely) then they'll be able to adapt for game two.

Game two is the key.
it would be good for them to come home tied - this way they aren't facing elimination at home, and the pressure to get back into the series. I doubt very much the media is going to be banging any kind of "we can do this" drum, unless we go back to Washington tied.

I'd also argue game 3 is key because most series go to the team who wins game 3.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Don't think it will be a sweep but more like game 5 or 6. Ovechkin will be too much for our defense to handle.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I'm still ticked about the loss to Columbus. Not that we lost, but the way we lost. I thought we put that ******** of blowing 2 goal leads in a 5 minute span behind us.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
So do we know yet when the first game is?

Probably tomorrow, we'll find out. That said, there's a Red Hot Chili Peppers concert at the Verizon Center on Wednesday (which is the same day the playoffs begin, period), so game 1 definitely can't be that day. I'm 99% certain game 1 will be Thursday. Especially since they'll want to schedule game 2 involving the Leafs for Saturday night.

Steven1562

May 13, 2013
I'm still ticked about the loss to Columbus. Not that we lost, but the way we lost. I thought we put that ******** of blowing 2 goal leads in a 5 minute span behind us.

Our D lineup didn't magically change. Plus we were down to 4 defenseman.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Typical Maple Leafs.:facepalm:Pissed away any chance at winning a round. They're gonna get smoked by the Caps.:help:

Nope, typical TML would have folded up in March (at the latest)

Sure they'll likely get smoked by the Caps.....so what?

Would you rather be Tampa or NYI?

Or BUF?
Or FLA?
Or WIN?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Probably tomorrow. That said, there's a Red Hot Chili Peppers concert at the Verizon Center on Wednesday (which is the same day the playoffs begin, period), so game 1 definitely can't be that day. I'm 99% certain game 1 will be Thursday. Especially since they'll want to schedule game 2 involving the Leafs for Saturday night.

I don't know how they schedule this **** with the NBA playoffs at the same time. Raptors probably play game 2 of their series next Monday or Tuesday. When will game 3 be scheduled for the Leafs? i wonder if it will be Raps Sunday Tuesday or Saturday Monday? Are they going to have 2 days off between game 2 and 3 in the Leafs series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad