Playoff Avatar Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZARTONK

Headscratcher!
Jul 4, 2008
Montreal
Hey, it's a deep philosophical question about the difference between what "is" and what "is very likely"

Plus, I think most people don't care much about the H in Canada. You say you want to talk about it, and you don't even give your opinion. It should be left to the artist or the person making the question's decision. Like, on an individual basis.

I was kidding man :P

I say no Subban, classy font, and no H.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I kind of liked the Subban pop-up troll face seeing as every other fan base hates and boos him, but it's also fine without it.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I was kidding man :P

I say no Subban, classy font, and no H.

A little too classy to my taste.

I'd say no Subban (altough some could use it, if they want). But I'd definitely go with the scribled font. Just looks unexpected, last minute, not 100% serious thing.

The classy font really makes us look like a bunch of losers looking for approval and that we are not. Sorry to be rude, but that's my no s*** assessment.

Are you looking for approval from the Leafs or Sens fanbase? First: NO! Second: even if you were, they won't give you any.

I really like the latest designs, but sorry, no classy font for me.

Even if the goal is to try and get as much people on board, we'll have more success without Subban (too polarizing) and with the scribled font (not 100% serious).

EDIT: just to be clear, I'm not saying that the classy font is a 'loser' thing by itself. I'm talking perception here. It looks that way and some guys from other fanbases will definitely perceive it that way. We should avoid that, IMO.

ZARTONK

Headscratcher!
Jul 4, 2008
Montreal
A little too classy to my taste.

I'd say no Subban (altough some could use it, if they want). But I'd definitely go with the scribled font. Just looks unexpected, last minute, not 100% serious thing.

The classy font really makes us look like a bunch of losers looking for approval and that we are not. Sorry to be rude, but that's my no s*** assessment.

Are you looking for approval from the Leafs or Sens fanbase? First: NO! Second: even if you were, they won't give you any.

I really like the latest designs, but sorry, no classy font for me.

Even if the goal is to try and get as much people on board, we'll have more success without Subban (too polarizing) and with the scribled font (not 100% serious).

EDIT: just to be clear, I'm not saying that the classy font is a 'loser' thing by itself. I'm talking perception here. It looks that way and some guys from other fanbases will definitely perceive it that way. We should avoid that, IMO.

Well, honestly, I don't give a **** if other fanbases support us or not. I just think the font looks nice lol

Ursus the White

Formerly Hogfather
Mar 27, 2014
Alberta
attachment.php

La Fource will be with us.....always.......

Last edited:

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I'm pretty easy going as far as the final decision, so could a mod just update the title when the final template is decided upon? That way I'll know when to submit my request and make it easier on the shoopin squad.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
We'll just start a new thread for that, so it's gonna be clear.

Also, if we have a template that works in gimp, I'll probably produce a few myself and make them available.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
nGVqnkX.gif

(I'll change the playoffs logo once it comes out and I'll adjust the speed accordingly and stuff)

What do you guys think ?

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
nGVqnkX.gif

(I'll change the playoffs logo once it comes out and I'll adjust the speed accordingly and stuff)

What do you guys think ?

Looks good, but I think the map still wins it.

At this point, I think we should vote on the final design. Do we allow options (Subban/no Subban)?

-Map + CH + classy font
-Map + CH + scribled font
-Maple leaf + CH (like your last design)
-Any other variation? 'Playoffs 2014' instead of 'Habs stand on guard'? etc.

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
nGVqnkX.gif

What do you guys think ?

I love the idea. I would change make the blue caption's bolder.
I would also add something that says CANADA'S TEAM or something..

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
-Map + CH + classy font
-Map + CH + scribled font
-Maple leaf + CH (like your last design)
-Any other variation? 'Playoffs 2014' instead of 'Habs stand on guard'? etc.

Map + CH + Classy Font

The classy font doesn't make us look like tryhards, it just fits in with the (made-up) aura of being Canada's Team. That's the whole point of the theme guys, come on now, stick with the program.

I still think Playoffs 2014 is required because it pretty much mandatory for playoff avatars to have the year - and in the non-customized portion of highly customizable things PLAIN IS BETTER.

Plain, inoffensive, streamlined design makes the unexpected, the funny, the "meat" of a design stand out and pop.

That's why "Playoffs 2014" > a long(ish) made up sing-a-song. And that's also why the PK trollface doesn't work. And also why the "classy" font works: we're embracing the snobbery of being Canada's team despite no one in Canada wanting us to be their team, using a snobby looking font that "Canada's team" really could use. That's the whole point.

With this design is we have the following;

Frame 1: Map of Canada (Playoffs 2014) - this is the intro, Canada is Habsland
Frame 2: Picture 1 / Text 1 - CUSTOMIZABLE PART
Frame 3: Picture 2 / Text 2 - CUSTOMIZABLE PART
Frame 4: "Canada's Team" - the finale, hammering in the point that Canada IS Habsland

The two frames of picture and text could then present a two-line or two-part joke.

edit:

Jee's design is nice and smooth as hell, only problem I see is that it lacks the "Canada's Team" aesthetic and theme.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
My design, contrary to the others, is simple and not confusing. Did we have 1 or 2 themes (Habs stand on guard for thee / Team Canada) ? How would the personalized caption and pictures fit with the theme ?

I think my design is the answer to a lot of problems.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
I love the idea. I would change make the blue caption's bolder.
I would also add something that says CANADA'S TEAM or something..

I started with a bolder font, I much prefered the thin one. We're a classy team, it fits perfectly.

In my opinion, adding Canada's Team would make the template too busy for nothing. I already state in my design that we stand on guard for Canada, it would be redundant to rephrase it somewhere else.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
My design, contrary to the others, is simple and not confusing. Did we have 1 or 2 themes (Habs stand on guard for thee / Team Canada) ? How would the personalized caption and pictures fit with the theme ?

I think my design is the answer to a lot of problems.

Yep's designs on page 18 are close to being the final product. We should be working together at converging the best of each shooper's idea, not diverging away.

If you took your design and adopted the final frame of Yep's (the "classy" font with Canada's theme frame) then we could compare to see which works better for instance but at the moment it's like you're coming in with a last minute bid to change it significantly.

Yours works really well, I especially like the font and font colour and the pixel border/triangles (sidenote: I feel so impotent without photoshop, I used to shoop way way back in the day :cry: ) maybe if you adopted the theme in we could see whose works best.

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
I started with a bolder font, I much prefered the thin one. We're a classy team, it fits perfectly.

In my opinion, adding Canada's Team would make the template too busy for nothing. I already state in my design that we stand on guard for Canada, it would be redundant to rephrase it somewhere else.

Yep. You are right. I actually didn't read the two captions together, I read them as separate captions. I like it.

Will be interesting to see how the other shoppers go with it.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
And it should be noted that any project which is time-dependant, (ie almost any project, ever), requires a soft and hard deadlines for various stages and requirements. The playoffs are coming up really, really soon and we might only last one round. If we want to sport these avatars for longer than 3 weeks we better finish it as soon as possible - it's April 1st tomorrow, let's have the design at least completed before FRIDAY APRIL 4th (game against the Sens). That gives us 1 week until the playoffs start for members to put in their requests and for the shoopers not to get inundated with all the reqs all at once.

I don't expect to see the Habs make it very very far in real life, but these avys are too good to only keep for two or so weeks, we should finish this stage and move on already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad