Playoff AV

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
I don't really like AV. I don't like the style he coaches, I don't like his refusal to call a time out, I don't like how this team played most of the year and so far, most of the playoffs.

But hell, I'm not about to argue with results. Let it ride!

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
I'm really liking AV. Calm, cool and collected. The sideshow with Torts seems so childish now.

I enjoy the style he employs; hopefully we can get better personnel in future years to help him continue to use and evolve that style.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I'm going to be totally honest, I'm shocked we're going to the ECF right now. This was a transition year, in my opinion. I expected 40-44 wins, and a short playoffs at the beginning of the year. I didn't expect AV's first playoffs to go this well. So pleasantly surprised.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Really shocked that the team was able to come back. My friend was ranting and raving to me after we lost game 6 of the Flyers series that AV's teams choke in the playoffs and can only play one way. I have to say I agreed. But he's making me eat crow.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
The team has won some big games, and is in the ECF. They're also just over .500.

I don't mean to be a stick in the mud, as our comeback vs Pitt will always be in my mind, but we've come as close to not being here as you can get. Twice.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The team has won some big games, and is in the ECF. They're also just over .500.

I don't mean to be a stick in the mud, as our comeback vs Pitt will always be in my mind, but we've come as close to not being here as you can get. Twice.

they played 2 really good teams. thats what happens.

the Rangers had to win 2 game 7s to win the SC back in 1994. they came really close to not winning it then too. but they did.

who cares.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
they played 2 really good teams. thats what happens.

the Rangers had to win 2 game 7s to win the SC back in 1994. they came really close to not winning it then too. but they did.

who cares.

I would really not call Philly a really good team. I thought that was a team we were supposed to beat, and I didn't think it should have taken 7 games.

Our comeback against Pittsburgh was the most phenomenal Rangers event in a decade. It doesn't change that games 2, 3, and 4 were 3 of the most abysmal games we've ever seen, and about as embarrassing a display as you could imagine.

Yes, that happily contrasts how entirely dominant the Rangers were the next 2 games, but it's still unsettling. It took a severely traumatic event for this team to begin playing for one another, and displaying any cohesion as a team.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don't really like AV. I don't like the style he coaches, I don't like his refusal to call a time out, I don't like how this team played most of the year and so far, most of the playoffs.

But hell, I'm not about to argue with results. Let it ride!

Geez, the only reason this series wasn't over sooner in our favor is because we played too many games, including game 7 that we thankfully won, like they did under Torts. I know the Pens are better and were at home, but game 7 against the Flyers is what AV's team has played like, on their toes, creating a ton of chances and shots. Today the team say back and needed Lundqvist to put up one of the best performances of his career, sort of like the entire 2012 run. We did have like 4 2 on 1s, so it was better than most of that run. But yeah, the Rangers played completely differently in the 2 series.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I would really not call Philly a really good team. I thought that was a team we were supposed to beat, and I didn't think it should have taken 7 games.

Our comeback against Pittsburgh was the most phenomenal Rangers event in a decade. It doesn't change that games 2, 3, and 4 were 3 of the most abysmal games we've ever seen, and about as embarrassing a display as you could imagine.

Yes, that happily contrasts how entirely dominant the Rangers were the next 2 games, but it's still unsettling. It took a severely traumatic event for this team to begin playing for one another, and displaying any cohesion as a team.

The Rangers were awful in games 2 and 4. They outshot the Pens 35-15 in game 3 and hit 3 posts. They also played a ridiculously unfair schedule. A historically unfair schedule.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008

Well, that's the playoffs, isn't it? You only have to win one game more than the other team, so being 4-3 every seven games means lifting Stanley in June.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess

A few things:

1) Win pct means didily squat in the playoffs.

2.) He out coached Bylsma by a lot.

* Constantly jiggering the PP, which was the winning goal
* Rolled 4 lines, kept the team fresh
* Mixed and matched the 2-3 lines not working well
* Third period last night 20 second shifts, counteracted Malkin
Crosby hour long escapades.
* Good matching of lines.

That said, the Rangers have plenty of flaws that can be worked out with proper coaching, for instance, the constant break-a-ways after penalties drives me nuts and caused a few goals, get rid of that crap.

AV has done a terrific job, so far.

Last edited:

Bertie

Jan 20, 2013
As a Canuck fan I'm pissed. The only reason you got AV from us was we had an absolute nitwit for a GM who refused to reinforce a great SC Final team and then 3 years later fired AV to save his own useless ass.........He's gone now and we have thankfully got rid of that joke Tortorella.

That aside I am thrilled that NYR are through to the next round. They deserved it. Alongside Montreal they have played (not always consistently) the most scintillating hockey in these playoffs. They are adept at the stretch, dump and chase and the counter attack which caused teams like Flyers and Pens huge problems.

On top of all that you are graced with a great net minder. It is sad if you meet the Habs and one of you have to go out (it would be an ideal SC Final imo) but at least if that does happen I will have a team to cheer in the Final.

All the Best for the next round ESPECIALLY if it's Boston.

An AV and Canucks fan.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I'm not a fan of the dump the puck out and play defense thing the Rangers did in the 3rd but they won so whatever. Going forward I think they have to be more aggressive but it's also probably natural to try to be careful and just not make mistakes and protect the lead when you're up in game 7 with one period to go

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I'm not a fan of the dump the puck out and play defense thing the Rangers did in the 3rd but they won so whatever. Going forward I think they have to be more aggressive but it's also probably natural to try to be careful and just not make mistakes and protect the lead when you're up in game 7 with one period to go

Especially when it was 4 on 4. Its much easier to hold onto the puck and make a play 4 on 4. I always felt that you never should dump a puck in unless you absolutely had to 4 on 4. You can always go back to your D and most times you wont be pressured that much because theres so much room on the ice. When i saw them basically giving it to the Pens last night I was flipping out. They really fell back into a shell, but hey, they won - against a very dangerous offensive team to boot. Hank stood on his head. The best ive seen him play his whole career.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I am not a fan of the defensive shell either. That said he modified it last night. The lines were changing so quick they of course never had time to establish a forecheck and that's ok. Pittsburgh looked slower and by and large couldn't break through the neutral zone easy. Maybe it was me but the Rangers won almost every loose puck. I am pretty sure it was part and parcel to the half shifts they were all taking.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
I think part of it is just human nature - you'll see most teams fall back and defend when pressed, especially in such an important game.

Part of me wonders if some of Torts' DNA isn't still in this team to some extent, and no matter what their current coaches tell them, when things get crazy in a series deciding game, they're going to go back to trying to block shots when they're up a goal late.

RGF

Apr 6, 2003
NYC
Visit site
What excites me most about AV is twofold : he's been flexible with his system to incorporate personnel that all do not fit his style (imagine what team might look like with core plus some supporting cast better suited in future years) and he is a better game manager than Torts in that - demeanor is productive to team, he's got everyone bought into roles that make 4lines and 3 d pairs effective. With a strong goaltender willing this team forward, that is a recipe for success.

Hank is an A+ netminder for next 3-4yrs

McD + Girardi + Staal + Stralman has been very effective. They all have elevated their games in last qrtr of season and playoffs. Klein has been superb in his role and I know some do not like John Moore - but Moore has become a much better defensemen since end of season. Several times he was matched against Malkin and made smart defensive plays. He has a lot of upside.

On offense - Nash is real upside if he can get going. I personally think he always goes for one too many moves and it limits his effectiveness. Kovalev-esq. could do without. I am also curious if an offseason where he lost 10lbs and were slimmer would help him- seems slow.

kreider - is becoming a great player under AV. Stepan as well. Don't need to mention Zucc,Brassard, Pouliot. Id resign them all.

I believe AV can turn Miller into a Kesler lite with time and maturity. Fast and Lindberg will be interesting options to work in over time.

I really don't like Boyle skills with puck but love him for defense and faceoffs.

D Moore I hope he resigns with us-perfect player in AV system.

One guy from Pens I wouldn't mind... Lee Stempniak.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
What excites me most about AV is twofold : he's been flexible with his system to incorporate personnel that all do not fit his style (imagine what team might look like with core plus some supporting cast better suited in future years) and he is a better game manager than Torts in that - demeanor is productive to team, he's got everyone bought into roles that make 4lines and 3 d pairs effective. With a strong goaltender willing this team forward, that is a recipe for success.

Hank is an A+ netminder for next 3-4yrs

McD + Girardi + Staal + Stralman has been very effective. They all have elevated their games in last qrtr of season and playoffs. Klein has been superb in his role and I know some do not like John Moore - but Moore has become a much better defensemen since end of season. Several times he was matched against Malkin and made smart defensive plays. He has a lot of upside.

On offense - Nash is real upside if he can get going. I personally think he always goes for one too many moves and it limits his effectiveness. Kovalev-esq. could do without. I am also curious if an offseason where he lost 10lbs and were slimmer would help him- seems slow.

kreider - is becoming a great player under AV. Stepan as well. Don't need to mention Zucc,Brassard, Pouliot. Id resign them all.

I believe AV can turn Miller into a Kesler lite with time and maturity. Fast and Lindberg will be interesting options to work in over time.

I really don't like Boyle skills with puck but love him for defense and faceoffs.

D Moore I hope he resigns with us-perfect player in AV system.

One guy from Pens I wouldn't mind... Lee Stempniak.

Nice post, and I agree with most of it.

But shame on you for comparing Nash to Kovalev! Alex came up huge for us in the playoffs - Nash seems to be getting worse every game.

RGF

Apr 6, 2003
NYC
Visit site
ha I just tried to draw an analogy to Nash's propensity to overstickhandle. If he gets into slot - shoot. Don't try and make one more move. Last night he did that several times in offensive zone and neutral zone near our blueline. That's a recipe for disaster when Malkin and Crosby are on top of you.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
ha I just tried to draw an analogy to Nash's propensity to overstickhandle. If he gets into slot - shoot. Don't try and make one more move. Last night he did that several times in offensive zone and neutral zone near our blueline. That's a recipe for disaster when Malkin and Crosby are on top of you.

Malkin picked his pocket 3 times in the last period and a half last night. At least he got the puck back 2 of those times.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think part of it is just human nature - you'll see most teams fall back and defend when pressed, especially in such an important game.

Part of me wonders if some of Torts' DNA isn't still in this team to some extent, and no matter what their current coaches tell them, when things get crazy in a series deciding game, they're going to go back to trying to block shots when they're up a goal late.

Yeah I think there have been some vague studies that show teams tend to try to protect leads and play conservatively even if they and the coaches are thinking "no we can't just sit back and protect it!"

People just don't want to make dumb mistakes in that situation which leads to more cautious and protective play.

Gottokeeponrisin

Sep 22, 2005
California

I 100% agree about Nash dropping 10 lbs. If he would quit doing the dangles and just drives the net he'd generate more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad