Playoff AV

Bertie

Jan 20, 2013
Firstly OP, I think you are misrepresenting the Vancouver situation. AV and his team fought all the way through to game 7 injured.
After that Ehrhoff, Torres, Samuelsson were allowed to leave. Raymond had a crushed vertebrae, and Malhotra was badly injured in one eye.
Gillis never properly replaced these players and although the core (minus Ehrhoff) was retained, many needed surgery and recuperation.
Despite that they won the PT the following year.

What I am saying is that there are far more direct reasons for AV's team's failure to get past the eventual winners in 2012 and the absolutely disgracefully referee handled 2013.

These reasons in my and (now) most of the Canucks fans estimation, were down to Gillis's failure to strengthen the "Game 7" team.
You have to play to the players and their styles, you are given. Tortorella found that out, this season and hopefully won't be back next season.

You are imo panicking and failing to recognise what has happened in the Rangers games. Two of the losses to Philly were down to first Emmery and then Mason standing on his head. Tactics didn't enter in to it to any great extent.

AV is no more tactically inept than any other coach (otherwise we would be saying the same about Babcock) Personally I think AV has got that team playing out of it's skin but imo, like Vancouver they are still 2 players short.

Bertie

Jan 20, 2013
This board is a bit bi-polar. Mason at 97 % happens once for him and never again. If we continue to shoot as much as we do and he's still at 97 % then he's the best goalie in the world. Which he isn't. He's back at 90 + / - and we're won the series. Most likely. Rangers will win this series. I have no doubt. And AV is a very good Coach.

Exactly.
I can't understand how panicky the NYR fans are, they have been all over Philly like a rash and it is only down to outstanding goaltending and a couple of NYR D,s brain farts, they are not through already.
Keep the faith. This NYR team is not the finished article yet and imo not ready to win the whole thing (2 players short) but they have to my mind anyway been the better of the 2 teams.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Exactly.
I can't understand how panicky the NYR fans are, they have been all over Philly like a rash and it is only down to outstanding goaltending and a couple of NYR D,s brain farts, they are not through already.
Keep the faith. This NYR team is not the finished article yet and imo not ready to win the whole thing (2 players short) but they have to my mind anyway been the better of the 2 teams.

In any rational observer's mind they have been the better team. Agree completely this series should have been over by now.

Bertie

Jan 20, 2013
Game set and match AV.
He definitely sent out a team to stay stiff at the back while absolutely running the Flyers ragged. AV's tactics were faultless and but for some sloppy finishing and some Mason heroics this game would have been settled by the end of the second.
I think Philly were a better team than the Rangers allowed them to be and that was seen on Simmons face at the end.

As I say they will have to get more lethal in their finishing but they are playing a sweet style of hockey.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
I've been one of AV's biggest supporters in these forums. I just appreciate a coach who keeps an even keel regardless of what's going on around him, and I think his strategy is both misunderstood and underappreciated by many fans. Just because he's not ranting and raving and seething like a Tortamaniac on the bench doesn't mean he's not coaching.

That said, what the heck is up with AV not calling timeouts? The players on the ice last night had to basically call that late timeout themselves because they were exhausted!

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I've been one of AV's biggest supporters in these forums. I just appreciate a coach who keeps an even keel regardless of what's going on around him, and I think his strategy is both misunderstood and underappreciated by many fans. Just because he's not ranting and raving and seething like a Tortamaniac on the bench doesn't mean he's not coaching.

That said, what the heck is up with AV not calling timeouts? The players on the ice last night had to basically call that late timeout themselves because they were exhausted!

That was really odd. I thought maybe he was waiting until the last second in order to get that line as much rest time as possible.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Exactly.

Yeah I think it's more on the players than it is on AV. they need to finish the chances they create, AV can't do that for them.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005

Yeah. Bizarre.

When it looked like they were not going to call the TO after the icing, I almost had a heart attack.

TeamStewie

Jan 17, 2013
I think the NBC guys said that they sent Hagelin out to get kicked out of the faceoff to buy extra time.

BwayBshirt

Mar 31, 2004
My NY State of Mind
AV's handling of the Fast/Miller/Carcillo grouping was apparently spot on the whole series.

Knew what he needed from them just when he needed it.

And Pouliot continues to be the ultimate example of AV's astute read on taking the temperature of the players.

Bertie

Jan 20, 2013

He was never a big one for time outs.

I'm happy today. We got rid of Tortorella and Sullivan. Thank goodness, the guy was/is a self serving bully, who showed he had one system no matter who his personnel were.

Anyway at least the Rangers got a good coach. Rangers in 6

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
I really feel sorry for AV at this point. I know there are different line combinations or whatever that he could have tried - everyone always has the answer in hindsight - but the bottom line is most every bullet he had in his holster is either not available, severely limited in it's effectiveness, or simply firing blanks.

It's like the team he took down the stretch of the regular season doesn't exist anymore - or in some cases was never what it was thought it would be once the playoffs started. AV is caught up in a puzzle that the best hockey minds on the planet could not solve.

The look on his face during his post-game press conference on Wednesday was that of a man who knows there is very little he can do between then and today to make his team better. He just has to hope somebody - or some people - step up and play better than they have been.

Last edited:

Bertie

Jan 20, 2013
I really feel sorry for AV at this point. I know there are different line combinations or whatever that he could have tried - everyone always has the answer in hindsight - but the bottom line is most every bullet he had in his holster is either not available, severely limited in it's effectiveness, or simply firing blanks.

It's like the team he took down the stretch of the regular season doesn't exist anymore - or in some cases was never what it was thought it would be once the playoffs started. AV is caught up in a puzzle that the best hockey minds on the planet could not solve.

The look on his face during his post-game press conference on Wednesday was that of a man who knows there is very little he can do between then and today to make his team better. He just has to hope somebody - or some people - step up and play better than they have been.

Well you got your wish. In fact I felt the Rangers made the Pens look pretty ordinary last night. Kreider has made a difference too. If they are going to manage this it will be through a massive team effort and an outstanding net minder.
It would help the team immensely if Nash could find his scoring touch. You are going to struggle in the SC if your elite players are not scoring. Another masterclass by Henrik.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Still liking AV a lot - but not liking being up two goals with around ten minutes left, on a power play, and he keeps Richards at the point on the first PP unit. I respectfully disagree.

Pierre correctly pointed out that at that point in the game the Penguins seemed to be getting their best chances shorthanded, and Richards was the reason why.

Food for thought, AV.

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
Still liking AV a lot - but not liking being up two goals with around ten minutes left, on a power play, and he keeps Richards at the point on the first PP unit. I respectfully disagree.

Pierre correctly pointed out that at that point in the game the Penguins seemed to be getting their best chances shorthanded, and Richards was the reason why.

Food for thought, AV.

Someone asked him (post game) about possibly making changes, he said he didn't see an issue with it.

I still think it's weird he never calls a timeout.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He definitely sent out a team to stay stiff at the back while absolutely running the Flyers ragged. AV's tactics were faultless and but for some sloppy finishing and some Mason heroics this game would have been settled by the end of the second.
That series went 7 games. Not sure who was running who ragged or any flawless tactics. Flawless tactics should not have featured flat games or lack of effort.

This series too is now 7 games. And while the team has come out with passion in the last two, let's not forget there were also efforts that were reminiscent of 1998. Gameday preparation and the PP are all about coaching. Hardly flawless execution.

I think that AV has done a good job, but he has been far from perfect. And needs the win tonight. People crow about how this team is much more talented and much deeper and plays a much better style, but here we are looking at the 14th game of the playoffs and the playoffs are only halfway over. The results so far have not been vastly different than the past.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Someone asked him (post game) about possibly making changes, he said he didn't see an issue with it.

I still think it's weird he never calls a timeout.

Yeah, the post-game question was geared to the specific situation I brought up and AV changed it to how he likes our chances better with Richards at the point overall. I actually like that about AV, how he manipulates answers to fit whatever he wants to say and rarely answers questions directly. He must have studied Bill Parcells' press conferences.

And I agree on the timeouts - he leaves a lot of them on the table. Odd.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Food for thought, AV.

Haha yeah I was cringing at that. Richards is deep in one of his PP cold streaks and I'd rather put two defensemen on the point with the way Pittsburgh is trying to create shorthanded chances.

That series went 7 games. Not sure who was running who ragged or any flawless tactics. Flawless tactics should not have featured flat games or lack of effort.

This series too is now 7 games. And while the team has come out with passion in the last two, let's not forget there were also efforts that were reminiscent of 1998. Gameday preparation and the PP are all about coaching. Hardly flawless execution.

I think that AV has done a good job, but he has been far from perfect. And needs the win tonight. People crow about how this team is much more talented and much deeper and plays a much better style, but here we are looking at the 14th game of the playoffs and the playoffs are only halfway over. The results so far have not been vastly different than the past.

No coach is perfect and makes all the right moves at the right times. The compressed schedule really hurt the Rangers in games 2-4 I think since they had no real time to practice or catch their breath. Once they got in a practice and regrouped, they came out playing like their normal selves.

I agree the results aren't exactly vastly different but I do think Philly and Pittsburgh are probably better teams than Ottawa and Washington were in 2012

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I do think Philly and Pittsburgh are probably better teams than Ottawa and Washington were in 2012
Fair, but to play devil's advocate, that is offset by the fact that this team is: 1) much more talented 2) much deeper 3) plays a much better system.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
What the devils advocate position there? That despite being a better team than they were in 2012 they still are in the same spot?

I mean, I credit AV for making them a deeper team with a better system (he wanted a 4 line team which means a deeper team).

In the end, yeah I wish they'd closed out Philly earlier and that they hadn't fallen behind in this series and had to climb back in...it's hard for me to analyze and say that the team has this specific failing that leads to that situation, I think some of it is just that when you have a bunch of teams relatively close in overall skill and ability it's pretty hard for one or the other to get a big advantage and easily close out a series.

Also I'd say Nash struggling certainly has hurt the Rangers ability to put things away, he's gotta find a way to make it happen

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What the devils advocate position there? That despite being a better team than they were in 2012 they still are in the same spot?
You pointed out that Philly and Pitt are better than Ottawa and Washington. That is then balanced out by the Rangers being the better team, no?
I mean, I credit AV for making them a deeper team with a better system (he wanted a 4 line team which means a deeper team).
I give credit to AV for being a good coach and having the correct temperament for this team. It is debatable if this team is actually better than the prior ones of the last several years. And I think that his use of all 4 lines is a very,very good thing.
Also I'd say Nash struggling certainly has hurt the Rangers ability to put things away, he's gotta find a way to make it happen
Also true, but that has been the story since he got here.

I give credit to AV for what he has done and how he goes about his business. To me, and this is just my view, the jury is still out if he can make things better. He is working with more tools in the toolbox. On paper, that should mean that he produces better results.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
You pointed out that Philly and Pitt are better than Ottawa and Washington. That is then balanced out by the Rangers being the better team, no?

Yeah I'm just confused which side you're arguing! :laugh:

I think the Rangers have faced tougher competition than in 2012 but are a better team, however they're still in the same spot to some degree (obviously if they lose they won't get to the ECF like they did in 2012).

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think the Rangers have faced tougher competition than in 2012 but are a better team, however they're still in the same spot to some degree (obviously if they lose they won't get to the ECF like they did in 2012).
I think that AV is a good coach and has the right temperament for both NY and this incarnation of the team. I also think that it has still yet to be determined if he can get better results from a more talented team.

And there are some things that make me scratch my head. Not taking time outs. The team not being prepared in some games . Lack of battle in some games.

We shall see. Hopefully he does with this team what Torts was not able to do.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
AV absolutely crushed Bylsma in coaching these past three games.

Feel really good for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad