Confirmed with Link: Playfair, Peters sign multi-year contract extensions

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I don't really care for Playfair though admittedly I don't think he's been given much chance yet. Look at our defense the last few years. Nick Grossmann played top four last year. Go back to the 2012 run and Playfair had OEL, Yandle, Klesla, Morris, Rozsival...

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
We still need a RW, so I think this is the year we being David Moss back. With the Vermette buyout, we've got a spot open for Chipchura.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
We still need a RW, so I think this is the year we being David Moss back. With the Vermette buyout, we've got a spot open for Chipchura.

If it's not broke, ...

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I don't really care for Playfair though admittedly I don't think he's been given much chance yet. Look at our defense the last few years. Nick Grossmann played top four last year. Go back to the 2012 run and Playfair had OEL, Yandle, Klesla, Morris, Rozsival...

Tip/Chayka could have very easily gone a different direction than Playfair, if they wanted to or thought he was no the right guy. Maybe Playfiar has helped Stone/Murphy more than we thought anyway.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Oh man, the one guy I wanted removed from the organization and he gets an extension. I'm sure he's a good guy and have redeeming qualities as a coach, but overall his roll seems to have been garbage to this team. I hope I'm wrong about him and his abilities.

rt

May 13, 2004
The timing is completely unnecessary. Can't wait and see what he does with an improved D corps first? Nope, just toss him a multi-year extension now. Coming off a bottom five GA and bottom five PK season. Why wait? We know all we need to. This is THE guy.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The timing is completely unnecessary. Can't wait and see what he does with an improved D corps first? Nope, just toss him a multi-year extension now. Coming off a bottom five GA and bottom five PK season. Why wait? We know all we need to. This is THE guy.

Can always fire him.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I agree. If we knew what goes on behind closed doors we may have a different opinion. I don't think you can pin the GA all on the defense, I mean, the forwards have to have possession of the puck more than 5 seconds and have to be able to complete more the one pass be fore losing possession. On the PK, I think Brown has to take more responsibility than Playfair for that mess. DM liked Playfair and I guess so does GMJC, so there must be something there, I hope.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Murphy/Stone/OEL all improved nicely last year. What can he do with Grossman/Z? Perhaps he was helpful with Kconn emerging a bit too. We have to remember what he has had to work with the last few years.
Tip/Chayka know what they are getting, no need to do this unless he was the right guy.

rt

May 13, 2004
Okay, cobra, jake, etc, can you guys please let me know the day that the accountability clock starts? Please. When we can start to expect any kind of results from people who've failed for years and years, please let me know so that I can start paying attention.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
It's all been reset because:
A) IA bought the team
B) Maloney did a bad job; what can you expect?
C) Rebuild
D) New GM

Coming soon
E) Rebuild redux
F) budget concerns
G) lack of "real fans"
H) Still fixing Maloney's mess
I) New captain
J) new building/city

How could anyone ever be held accountable under these conditions? Five years of results ranging from mediocrity to abject failure is not enough time to make any conclusions based on these mitigating circumstances. What we do know is that the team never makes mistakes or lies to us. So that's comforting.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Okay, cobra, jake, etc, can you guys please let me know the day that the accountability clock starts? Please. When we can start to expect any kind of results from people who've failed for years and years, please let me know so that I can start paying attention.

When the staff gets less out of the team then should be realistically expected from the talent level on the team. Name a young D that has under performed? Runblad/Gormley. How have they done else where under great coaching versus Playfair? I am not a huge fan of Playfair, just not sure he should be shot. You guys all love Brown. When Yandle left, it turns out Brown wasn't the genius you guys thought he was as a PP coach. Talent level versus expectations. Brown and Playfair are both probably fine coaches.

Also, last year on our team, this is how I would rate our D:

1D-OEL
2D
3D
4d-Stone/Murphy
5D
6D-Z
7D/AHL-Grossman/Dahlback/Tinordi/Kconn

Playfair isn't Houdini, we know that!

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I have told you a hundred times that in my opinion the accountability started when IA bought the team. It is the same in any business. If you buy a business that has been running under capitalized and is not performing it takes time to turn it around. Even a small business like some of us own or have owned. The new owner comes in, invests money and makes changes as he sees fit. He is hopeful he can see results in the first six months to a year, and if not he makes more changes. In a complex business like a NHL franchise it would take more time because the players are part of the infrastructure and it can take years not months for them to develop, and that is why the first year they had to come in and access the situation. They have come in, accessed the situation and now we are seeing hiring, firing, signings, extentions etc. Remember, when IA bought this team is was running "bare bones"and had nothing going for it, and that is the hardest business to turn around. I think IA expects improvement this year over last and bigger improvement next year. If not that is when the higher ups will be in trouble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad