Confirmed with Link: Playfair, Effinger, O'Hearn extended multiple years

MP

Feb 8, 2008
Didn't Jim Playfair run the defense? Wasn't defense a problem last season? Am I wrong in questioning this extension? Do all of my sentences end in question marks? I don't know? I can't stop? Somebody help me?

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
Didn't Jim Playfair run the defense? Wasn't defense a problem last season? Am I wrong in questioning this extension? Do all of my sentences end in question marks? I don't know? I can't stop? Somebody help me?
This is good, really good! I'm laughing my ****ing a** off...

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Eh, I hope Playfair rights the ship with our D/PK. Otherwise, we're absolutely going to be in a world of pain this season.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
Had they applied these salaries + Moss's for the next season, it might have been enough to retain Vrbata. I guess we always are in the habit of half-measures and retaining garbage in the organization rather than ppl with skill and talent to get the job done.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I agree...weird signing given the fact that our defense the last two years hasn't been up to par. The first year Playfair came in was a good season, but we had vets.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
I agree...weird signing given the fact that our defense the last two years hasn't been up to par. The first year Playfair came in was a good season, but we had vets.

Right.

As I said after the abominable signing a few days ago, the time has come to:
FireTippett_zpsb7071d26.jpg

It's the only way to retain any hope of long-term competitiveness, and being able to develop any offensive skill in our line-up.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
Had they applied these salaries + Moss's for the next season, it might have been enough to retain Vrbata. I guess we always are in the habit of half-measures and retaining garbage in the organization rather than ppl with skill and talent to get the job done.

So they were going to go without a pro scouting director, CBA guy and short an assistant associate coach JUST so they could keep Vrbata?

Give your head a shake man.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Right.

It's the only way to retain any hope of long-term competitiveness, and being able to develop any offensive skill in our line-up.

Oh please, you've wanted this forever.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
Oh please, you've wanted this forever.

No, I don't think you can find a quote from me.

I have always said before this, that he should be out if he failed to produce results on ice, but should stay if he did. If he can produce a playoff season, he should by all means stay. We need that in order for the team to have a decent chance of staying PHX. At this point, there's no evidence what so ever that a Tippett coached team will be sniffing playoffs this coming year.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Playfair is a great coach, and was certainly not the problem. Lack of personnel was the issue. You can't win with Tim Kennedy as your 2nd liner for half a season, your "number one" center completely checked out of the hockey world for the last 40 or so games, your team captain out for multiple games due to an ailing sickness, and number one goalie out for extremely vital games down the final stretch. Maloney needed to do more last year, plain and simple, but I (somewhat) give him the benefit of the doubt due to the fact that he wasn't exactly sure what how much he could spend. Still, having Tim ****ing Kennedy A.K.A. "Mr. 2 Pump Chump" in your top 6 for the first half of your season was not good management. Tippett is just as much at fault.

Our incompetent forwards and lack of firepower contributed greatly to the woes on defense. Our defense was consistently over worked, night in and night out, while half of our offense just aimlessly floated around the ice.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Our offensive forward corps was so bad, most of our offense came from our defense anyway.

Yandle, OEL, Stone literally drove our offense. That and the PP with Mr. Hanzal up in the crease.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Our offensive forward corps was so bad, most of our offense came from our defense anyway.

Yandle, OEL, Stone literally drove our offense. That and the PP with Mr. Hanzal up in the crease.

That is by design, as Tippett's system favors scoring from the perimeter. Board battle, board battle, board battle, pass to the point, shoot.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Right.

Oh come on. A lot of this is Maloney. If you fire Tippet you'll see him taking a higher budget team right to the finals. I can't find fault in his handling of players. Turris wasn't his fault. Tippet knew that Turris wasn't ready for big minutes at his age and experience. Maloney had no other centers in the pipeline to call up and didn't or couldn't trade for one. The mishandling was on the part of Maloney, not Tippet. Then we have the Turris trade. Maloney could have told Turris to sit out as long as he liked, no trade unless they get equal value back. Instead he chose to move Turris out as fast as he could. We got crackers for a first line center.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I don't care how good your defense is if you play the majority of the game on your heels in your own end. The forwards have to be able to pressure the other end as well as play defense in their own.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
That is by design, as Tippett's system favors scoring from the perimeter. Board battle, board battle, board battle, pass to the point, shoot.

It is by design because that is where our skill is at. You think DT would rely so much on our defense if he had any semblance of a real top-six forward group?

It's great that our defensemen can drag this team through the season offensively, but it is not going to ever end with us being a team that wins in the playoffs. Not to the extent we relied on them last year.

You make it sound like a positive, but it is more indicative of our glaring negative -- our forwards.

Not to mention how many times Yandle and OEL didn't get the puck from board battles, but had to take it from our end through the neutral zone then setup in the offensive zone all by themselves. That's probably not by design.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
It is by design because that is where our skill is at. You think DT would rely so much on our defense if he had any semblance of a real top-six forward group?

Yes, I do. That's his system. He's as conservative a coach as they come (or haven't you noticed in the way he plays - or doesn't play - young players?).

You make it sound like a positive, but it is more indicative of our glaring negative -- our forwards.

On the contrary, I hate Tippett's system. When it's firing on all cylinders with solid defense, then it can take you places (see: 2011 WCF), but if there's even a hint of a shortfall it gets ineffective in a hurry. Furthermore, the patterns are so obvious that even I can see them, so if someone as terribly stupid as I am can predict player movements, passing strategies, and so forth, then the professional hockey players and video coaches on NHL franchises can solve them.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
On the contrary, I hate Tippett's system. When it's firing on all cylinders with solid defense, then it can take you places (see: 2011 WCF), but if there's even a hint of a shortfall it gets ineffective in a hurry. Furthermore, the patterns are so obvious that even I can see them, so if someone as terribly stupid as I am can predict player movements, passing strategies, and so forth, then the professional hockey players and video coaches on NHL franchises can solve them.

Just pressure the points and on most nights the Coyotes have no answer. Tippett doesn't adjust. What's worse is that often times the team tries to make a cute play when a solid play would've resulted in a goal just the same. They are also coached to not look for hits, so the teams end up playing incredibly soft.

It's pretty bad to watch when it's not working. Last year's team was a far cry from even Tippett's first year as coach. It's a personnel issue for sure but even the guys that are there aren't always used right.

I think he will be the fall guy if they miss for a third year in a row. Doubly so if he refuses to correctly handle youth.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
Oh come on. A lot of this is Maloney. If you fire Tippet you'll see him taking a higher budget team right to the finals. I can't find fault in his handling of players. Turris wasn't his fault. Tippet knew that Turris wasn't ready for big minutes at his age and experience. Maloney had no other centers in the pipeline to call up and didn't or couldn't trade for one. The mishandling was on the part of Maloney, not Tippet. Then we have the Turris trade. Maloney could have told Turris to sit out as long as he liked, no trade unless they get equal value back. Instead he chose to move Turris out as fast as he could. We got crackers for a first line center.

So you actually blame that Turris (or most offensively minded players) do not favor Tippett's system on Maloney?

It's like me, if I'm being a jerk to and piss some ppl off, at work or in class; and you attribute that behavior to a manager or the professor?

If Turris does not like Tippett, and if they can't make the system to work so that Turris would flourish here, it's either Turris or Tippetts' fault, or both. It's simple as that.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
So you actually blame that Turris (or most offensively minded players) do not favor Tippett's system on Maloney?

It's like me, if I'm being a jerk to and piss some ppl off, at work or in class; and you attribute that behavior to a manager or the professor?

If Turris does not like Tippett, and if they can't make the system to work so that Turris would flourish here, it's either Turris or Tippetts' fault, or both. It's simple as that.

If you had been following the history of Turris closely.... Maloney admitted HE made the mistake of pushing him into the league too quickly.

Turris came into the league under a coach that had no clue of a system of play ("firewagon" was the term Derek Morris used), was given immediate "star" status by most of the fans..... and then was forced to adapt himself under a new coach and learn to actually be responsible for his position on the ice.

True professionals learn to adapt.... Mikkel Boedker learned that... Turris did not. If Ottawa ever changes coaches and style of play that doesn't agree with "his style".... I would not be surprised if Turris starts demanding to be traded again.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If you had been following the history of Turris closely.... Maloney admitted HE made the mistake of pushing him into the league too quickly.

Other way around. Turris pressured the Phoenix front office to get him into the NHL ASAP.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yes, I do. That's his system. He's as conservative a coach as they come (or haven't you noticed in the way he plays - or doesn't play - young players?).

You may hate DT, but his record speaks for itself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad