Players with similar skillsets but opposite hockey IQs

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Couturier - Nugent-Hopkins

I don't even know which way this is supposed to run. Neither plays the fool here, IMO.

Also they don't seem to be that similar skills-wise. Certainly not in their bodies: Couts is naturally stockier and about 30 lbs heavier than RNH.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Brendan Smith and Seth Jones.

I've never seen any of that from Brendan Smith.

Seth Jones might be the most gifted D in the league skills-wise.

outside of size maybe theres no similarities. Ristolainen is a forward playing d

He makes some bad decisions that make it look like that sometimes. But it's more than just size that he shares with Pronger. Risto's most effective offensive weapon is his shot from the point. His most noticeable characteristic is pillorying opponents with devastating mean-spirited hits. I think it's a good comparison skills-wise.

Reactions: IlikeEich

Creepingjeff

Mar 4, 2016

He makes some bad decisions that make it look like that sometimes. But it's more than just size that he shares with Pronger. Risto's most effective offensive weapon is his shot from the point. His most noticeable characteristic is pillorying opponents with devastating mean-spirited hits. I think it's a good comparison skills-wise.

The reason you don't notice the skills with Smith is due to the brain not working right to show off those skills. Add laziness to it as well to squander the talents. If he had Seth Jones brain, you have an awesome defenseman as from a skill level, they both can do it all.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Thanks, knew I wasn't nuts! For me it's that his hands and brain seem to turn into cement once it's time for a breakout. Similar offensive abilities, hitting, mean streak, big body- but Pronger could work with the puck whereas Risto can only skate it up, otherwise it's off the glass or a turnover. He's young and has looked better this year though.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Drouin is a smart player, too. Obviously not Kane level, but not at the other end of the spectrum.

He just doesn't give a **** 90% of the time until this season. For Montreal, anyways.

I think there's more to be said on Drouin than just a smart player that doesn't care. I don't think that's a good description.

Even when Drouin is on he'll still have plenty of passes to no-one and missed assignments. On the flip side he sees things that others don't. I think he's "brilliant" and "highly creative", he just can't process whether the product of his imagination is a good play or not. Don't get me wrong, I wish he was on my team.

Kennedys

Jul 22, 2015
Saguenay
He had some skills but he should have played tennis or ping pong or some other individual sport. His style of play was not conducive to a team sport.

A ping pong player got 1029 pts in the nhl , how crazy is that ?! Also 100 pts in 123 playoffs games. What a bum !

Reactions: stopclickbait

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad