Players, who were getting worse and worse after their first [successful] NHL season

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
It is not like he was getting worse and worse but his first season was his best one - Selanne
Nah, that was a weird season with very high scoring, scoring had been going down after the 80's but suddenly spiked again in 92-93. He was a Hart runner up twice in the late 90s, those were better seasons.

Last edited:

nihlify

Jan 20, 2010
This is a bit silly when people list guys who are in their early 20s.
I agree with this. While it may be technically true that a young players might regress after a stellar first season, I think the spirit of this thread is a player that never rebounded, meaning you'd have to have played in the nhl a decent amount.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
RNH, many Oiler fans will argue that he's a better all-around player but he's never repeated the offensive instincts or shown to be as dynamic as his rookie season.

Probably due to shoulder surgery. He did have a career last season but he’s not as dynamic as he was in his first two years. Baby Datysuk.

The correct answer to this question is Andrew Cogliano. He looked like a new Bure.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
The Matthews/Laine answers are either stupid or tired attempts at trolling, do better.

Myers is a fantastic pick for a guy still in the league, though.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
My pick was Tyler Myers before entering the thread but seems like that one was a bit too obvious.

Also, Jesse Puljujärvi, Nail Yakupov.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Fabian Brunnstrom
Valeri Nichushkin

I was going to saysay Brunnstrom. Super short career, but I guess the topic lends itself to that.

I'll add Bogosian to the list. Injuries are part of it, but it's still a fact. And it's a bit interesting that Tyler Myers is also in this thread, since they were traded for each other (among other piecespieces).

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
William Nylander had a second season that was identical to his first season. You could even argue that his second season was better.

So....nice try.

And after all the shit he took on here, and continues to take, he has been the Leafs most consistent forward so far this year with 4 points in 4 games, including this beauty the other night.

Eventually, like all of these nonsense things, people will slowly stop saying it and then pretend the narrative was never that he was a bust and a cap dump, and then just move on to someone else (Like Marner after calling him the Leafs best player all summer)

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Pierre-Marc Bouchard, The Wild's 8th overall pick from 2002. Started out very strong, with a 59 point campaign in his first full season, followed by 57 and 63 point stints. After that it was one 46 points season in 08-09, only 71 games though before he got a bad concussion. Missed almost entirely the next season and never recovered. Was scared of his own shadow after that. Bouchard remains today one of the most skilled players I've seen: the IQ and soft hands combined with very smooth skating was fun to watch. Who knows what he would've amounted without that concussion that ruined him as a hockey player.

edit:

His hands were so filthy:

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Dion was excellent for his first three years in the league
I disagree. He’s always been a low IQ player but the mistakes were more tolerable from a young d man with those tools.

Year 2, 3, 4, there wasn’t much growth from my perspective and that’s what started to press Sutter’s patience IMO. The Flames knew he’d already peaked and that’s why they traded him to Toronto for nickels and dimes.

Just my $0.02.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad