WJC: Players who impresses you at the World Junior Championship?

Kearns

Too good to be true, no?
Jun 7, 2008
Kamloops, BC
Bichsel is being overrated, he was mostly noticeable for being big other taking advantage of Kemell's mistake in OT. Didn't show the skill or agility that some projected he could develop based on his draft year.
This is a hot take, but I'll bite. What I see after two days at this tourney is a player who wins virtually all board battles, uses his frame to protect the puck extremely well, makes simple, smart passes all over the ice, skates in four directions well, jumps into o/zone space when it presents, and can shoot the puck. He is physical force in the tourney so far, and as a May birthday could play here in the WJC again next year. Good pick by the Stars. Let him marinate in Sweden a couple of years. I think he'll be a top 4 defenceman in the NHL.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Suomi, Svozil, Bichsel, snuggerud, bedard, Biasca, Vaisanen, Lavins, Rosen have all done alot of very good things early on. Obviously bedard, bichsel and snuggs are studs... but i've been super happy with the progress rosen has made over the last year.

Vaisanen's under the radar been real solid imo, big body with decent skill, thought he's been really really good on the walls and he's got a nice little release, not a bad 4th rd pick by NYR, probably a guy that plays further down your lineup like in a 3rd line role if everything goes right.

Reactions: Statsy and Nevins

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
behrens...kid was unbelievable. by far the best player on the ice in the first us game.

kulich, jiricek, spacek, sale chemlar from the czechs. really like kulich. love the way he plays.

kemell, vaisanen, nyman

dvorsky, nemec, misiak, mesar

bedard

Reactions: Nevins

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
My standouts from day two:

Dalibor Dvorsky - Best player for the Slovaks. Any good, including both goals, were created through him. His usage though was mind boggling. He needs a premier role. Needs to be top line and PP1. The combination of IQ and puck skills is high end

Jani Nyman - Through two games he’s been the Finns best player. He showed off his unique mix of skill and power vs the Slovaks. I’ve been a huge fan going back to last year. He has some tantalizing tools and a motor that doesn’t stop

Joakim Kemell - He was clearly pissed off after day one. He played with all kinds of piss and vinegar. His offensive ability was on full display, but his physicality and pace are what stood out to me. Some big hits. Scrums. He was involved all game

Carl Lindbom - Feels weird to say that he stole the game vs Germany, but he did. Faced numerous grade A chances and didn’t buckle. He’s athletic and poised. A great combo

Jiri Kulich - Czechia pounded Austria and Kulich led the way. He’s was lethal. I had him in my top ten for the 2022 Draft. How he fell to 28 is beyond me. He’s dynamic and motivated. Skill + will

mirec04

Sep 3, 2018
Slovakia
behrens...kid was unbelievable. by far the best player on the ice in the first us game.

kulich, jiricek, spacek, sale chemlar from the czechs. really like kulich. love the way he plays.

kemell, vaisanen, nyman

dvorsky, nemec, misiak, mesar

bedard
Misiak was the best yesterday

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
1) Connor Bedard is a cut above the rest and will easily be #1 in the next draft 2) Isak Rosen ( Sweden) Very precise shooting 3)Ludvig Janssen(Sweden) Best Swedish defenseman today 4)Sean Behrens(USA). Best American Defenseman Today 5) David Spacek (CZE) complete defenseman 6)Thomas Suchanek( CZE) Won the game for his team against Canada
The thread title instantly made me think of Craig Button and I bet I wasn't the only guy.

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Last year Dalibor Dvorsky was invisible while this year he is probably the best Slovak player. If he continues like this, he will go up in the draft ranking.

Reactions: Czechboy

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I believe L. Hughes, Nemec, and Topias Vilén hive the highest Toi among defencemen on their teams.(USA, Slovakia, Finland) All NJ prospects.

Reactions: Nevins

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Bedard is the best player easily, Luke Hughes will be a very good defenseman in the NHL and I'm disappointed that the Canadian didn't select David Spacek who is a good right-handed defenseman.

Reactions: Xirik

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
This is Impressive.Bedard
EA63CF55-16F5-4370-8E91-C1758B72CFD2.png

Reactions: majormajor

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Ian Scherzer.
On a bad Austrian team he has stood out as one of the only players that could consistently create offence. He is an underager for the tournament at 17 years old - yet he was much better than Montreal 4th round pick Vinzens Rohrer. Now I don’t know if he goes that high in the draft but his play was great all things considered. Fitting he scored that first Austrian goal.

Roman Kechter
Didn’t expect much of him during the tournament - he was apart of the 3 German ‘04’s that many German fans were bullish on once apart of time (Julian Lutz and Luca Hauf the others) but he was always buzzing and creating for a German team that had very few players that could do this. The player that I saw from this tournament was the kid I saw at 16. Maybe moving back to Germany was best but he looks confident and will at the very least he a VERY good DEL player in the future.

Veit Oswald
He was a guy a few fans were bullish on last year - he is a great skater but at times his hands can’t keep up with his feet or his mind can’t process as fast as his feet. But he looked composed during the tournament and was relentless on the forecheck causing headaches for the opposition. I don’t know if he‘ll ever have an NHL career but I enjoyed his play this tournament.

Rodwin Dionicio
Has been the second best Swiss defender after Bichsel in my opinion. Has good size, skating ability and defends well. Has looked intimidating to play against for the Swiss. It‘s too bad he plays for the tirefire that is the Niagara IceDogs because I believe in the right opportunity he could be an NHL drafted player.

Colton Dach
Shame he went down with injury - he impressed me with his physicality, speed and size. Also loved he was willing to do anything for his team. Heart and soul kid. Dach family under HC is cursed man.

Tyson Hinds
Been HC best defender in my opinion - he has been very steady, calm and poised in the defensive zone. Seldom makes any mistakes and always makes a good play. No slouch offensively either as he knows when to pinch and when to be reserved. Ducks and drafting defenders…

Last edited:

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
This is Impressive.BedardView attachment 628780
The way this graphic is cut off makes it look like Bedard is a +1, but actually he's a tournament best +11. In fact, he's only been on the ice for ONE goal against. Last tourney their line was actually hemmed in their own zone for lengthy stretches despite their production, but Bedard has been playing almost exclusively in the other team's end this year.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
I like this Bichsel kid, probably one of the most NHL ready level players in this tournament.

Snuggerud and Hughes impressed me from the American team.

Reactions: Nevins and Statsy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad