WJC: Players who impresses you at the World Junior Championship?

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
1) Connor Bedard is a cut above the rest and will easily be #1 in the next draft 2) Isak Rosen ( Sweden) Very precise shooting 3)Ludvig Janssen(Sweden) Best Swedish defenseman today 4)Sean Behrens(USA). Best American Defenseman Today 5) David Spacek (CZE) complete defenseman 6)Thomas Suchanek( CZE) Won the game for his team against Canada

Reactions: JlindiesANA

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Gavin Brindley, I liked hm so far, thats a kid I would target late 1st early second round.

Bedard is a franchise player in the making, thats obvious. Carlsson is elite. Reinbacher had a decent 1st game on a trash Austrian team.

Reactions: Nevins

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Snuggerud, Korchinski, Sale, Svozil & Spacek stood out.

Among more obvious choices I was impressed with Bedard, Cooley, Jiricek

Reactions: Nevins and Blueston

SquidNasty

Dec 8, 2021
Impressed:
-Bedard is the easy choice, by far Canada’s most dangerous player and his ability to drag the puck towards himself while releasing is something else.
-Was super impressed by the QMJHL line in pre tournament but the ejection kind of screwed up what they had going.
-Jiricek was unbelievable and the second best player on the ice. Looks like a grizzled NHL vet playing in a junior tournament

Disappointing:
-Shane Wright. During last year’s tournament he was completely invisible. People were calling him invisible tonight but this performance was nothing compared to last year. In the two games he played it felt like I hadn’t even heard his name mentioned once by the commentators.

Tonight he was definitely present and got on the score sheet. His goal was a real nice shot and it’s nice to see him using that dangerous wrister. My concern is that he didn’t look great when carrying the puck in transition and failed to look dangerous at 5 on 5 while being stapled to one of the most talented players in tournament history. Also a little concerned with him having the C. All those rumours about his poor draft interviews don’t help and apparently he wanted nothing to do with the AHL after joining Seattle. These are all rumours of course so don’t take any of it too seriously.

(disclaimer: I’m not a Habs fan hating on him for no reason)

-Brandt Clarke. Brutal in his own zone tonight which is very concerning because that was the main reason why he didn’t make the team last year.

-Entire Finland team. Runners up last tournament and decent talent on the roster. Swiss flat out looked like the better team.

-Didn’t get to catch the US-SWE game but Rosen’s highlights were nasty.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
The best performances from day one for me:

Lian Bicshel - He was an absolute tank today. His presence on the ice was noticeable every shift

Team Czechia D - My top three performances could all be from the Czech blueline. Jiricek and Svozil are forces. At this level both are #1D. Jiricek is clearly a step above any player in this tournament in terms of maturity and poise. Spacek was a stud too. Reliable all night. The entire Czech D, and team D. A+

Tomas Suchanek - Never seemed distressed. Big, athletic goalie that makes big saves. I wonder if NHL teams will take a look

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
-Entire Finland team. Runners up last tournament and decent talent on the roster. Swiss flat out looked like the better team.

Not just looked - they were the better team. Our best forward played as the 13th and Kiviharju, who is our best puck-moving D, isnt even activated. It was a total shitshow and coaching is to blame. On top of that, every player on our team tried to play individually and teamplay was nowhere to be seen. If they dont change things fast were not seeing more than groupstage and relegations...

Reactions: SquidNasty and Keke

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Svozil was the most standout performer on day 1 for me. So good on both ends of the ice.

Bichsel is being overrated, he was mostly noticeable for being big other taking advantage of Kemell's mistake in OT. Didn't show the skill or agility that some projected he could develop based on his draft year.

Clarke is getting too much hate, really like this player, smartest and most talented defenseman on Canada and should be on the first PP over Zellweger.

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Can't remember who it was against but Kulich absolutely flew by somebody last night that had multiple steps on him.
Clarke. That's one of the raps on him...not the best feet.

I thought Clarke was fascinating. Really good most of the game, but with a few instances of some bad/weak play.

Reactions: MNRube

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
My totally biased answers are Vaisanen and Chmelar. They both stood out in positive ways.
Vaisanen is a player. Incredible how well he moves and handles the puck for his size. What a pick.

Clarke. That's one of the raps on him...not the best feet.

I thought Clarke was fascinating. Really good most of the game, but with a few instances of some bad/weak play.
Thought he was their best player when they needed to push.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Little early.lol

But if we're talking about unheralded guys then Chmelar absolutely looked like he belonged with the Czech core guys who have NHL futures (potentially) like Sale, Kulich, Jiricek and Svozil.

Spacek is highly underrated. He ended with 2 points, stopped a Michigan (thank god) and led all D in minutes and this is a good D core. Minnesota has him and Walstedt in the pipe. Slow clap!

I know Spacek will keep it up. Curious about Chmelar. He had a breakaway, a disallowed goal and a real goal against Canada! Unheard of. Dare I say he was the best NCAA player in last night's game?lol

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
I am very impressed by Filip BYSTEDT. The big 6'4" center has great skating, good hockey IQ and quick hands. The San Jose Sharks have good prospect on their hands.

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Oliver Kapanen, captain of Finland and draft pick of the Montreal Canadiens was voted player of the game for his team against Slovakia.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00