Players who have played in low levels of minor hockey

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Most prospects, either hyped or unhyped, at least play in competitive leagues with some of the best in their age groups and have done so throughout the majority of their playing careers. Who are the players who haven't been blessed with the opportunity to play at high levels in their early youth yet still made it?

I'd also like to know of players who took unconventional paths, played in obscure leagues during their developmental years or plain just started late. I'm sure there's a ton of stories of that sort pre 1985.

For example, I think a lot of people around here know David Perron was playing at the Midget C level in his hometown just a couple of years before he first skated with the Blues. That is a mindboggling transition. I don't know if other ascensions have been as drastic as his.

Another one, Kyle Okposo took a year off of hockey when he was 12-13 to play football. Akim Aliu started playing hockey at the age of 12 when he moved to Canada. I think I heard somewhere that Joe Mullen learned to skate when he was a teenager.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Ed Belfour went from HS hockey to playing Tier 2 hockey for the Winkler Flyers of the MJHL for 3 years until he was 21 years old to then playing in a small NCAA school for 1 year and then was in the IHL the following season.

He's the definition of a late bloomer.

Last edited:

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Chara´s story is one of the greatest. He was considered as totaly untalented guy, who couldnt skate and coach send him to play basketball or voleyball... 15 year later he won Norris. Great story.

Note: even Islanders drafted him as a marketing thing - to have the biggest guy in NHL history...

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
You heard wrong. :)

He learned late, but not that late. Maybe 10 or 11.

That's just incredible considering he became the #1 pick in his draft year. I think Mike Komisarek didn't learn to skate up until around that age (maybe 12.) Someone should confirm this.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
cbc loves to tell the story of how alex burrows was playing in a ball hockey league during his ECHL years. does that count?

also, between stints with the canucks, former first round pick jose charbonneau played in the short-lived pro roller hockey league in addition to bouncing around second tier european leagues.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Well Burrows was playing Jr A hockey in quebec when he was 18-19. The ball hockey thing was a hobby I think, even if he was like the best player in that circuit.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Ed Belfour went from HS hockey to playing Tier 2 hockey for the Winkler Flyers of the MJHL for 3 years until he was 21 years old to then playing in a small NCAA school for 1 year and then was in the IHL the following season.

He's the definition of a late bloomer.

The University of North Dakota is a small NCAA school? NOT!

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
The University of North Dakota is a small NCAA school? NOT!

For some reason I thought it was U of Lake Superior, LOL!

Doesn't change the essense of the obscure manner in which he made it. Playing Tier 2 as an overager until 21 years old and then joining an NCAA team for a year at 22, when most guys your age have already had 2 or 3 NCAA years under your belt is as odd a way of making it as it comes. Really shows how it takes some goalies much more time before they can blossom. By the time he was about 25 he was one of the best goalies in the world.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
For some reason I thought it was U of Lake Superior, LOL!

Doesn't change the essense of the obscure manner in which he made it. Playing Tier 2 as an overager until 21 years old and then joining an NCAA team for a year at 22, when most guys your age have already had 2 or 3 NCAA years under your belt is as odd a way of making it as it comes. Really shows how it takes some goalies much more time before they can blossom. By the time he was about 25 he was one of the best goalies in the world.

I agree, he was the best goalie in camp more than once for the Hawks. He just didn't get any respect. We know the rest of the story.

Grinder89

Aug 20, 2010
I read a story once about formers Flames prospect Sergei Varlamov being discovered playing in a Recreation hockey league in Ukraine

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
How about Raitis Ivanans?

His impressive career reads like this:
1996-97 Aurora Tigers of the Metro Junior A Hockey League
1997-98 Flint General of the United Hockey League
1998-99 Macon Whoopie/Tulsa Oilers of the Central Hockey League
1999-00 Pensacola Ice Pilots of the ECHL
2000-01 New Haven Knights of the United Hockey League and two games with the Hershey Bears
2001-02 Toledo Storm/Baton Rouge Kingfish of the ECHL
2002-03 Rockford IceHogs of the United Hockey League and 17 games with Milwaukee Admirals
2003-04 Milwaukee Admirals and 1 game with the Rockford IceHogs of the United Hockey League
2004-05 Hamilton Bulldogs

After this he finally made the NHL in 2005-06 with the Habs. I would say he probably has the longest shot of making the NHL of anyone. Especially since he has lasted for 210 games in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad