Players who had everything.. BUT hockey sense.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Alexei Kovalev.

People talk about how he underperforms because he is lazy or doesn't try hard, but I really think it's just a lack of good hockey sense.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Lindros. As much as I love the guy and how he played the game, he dominated purely on physical attributes. He never was able to get away from cutting into the zone with his head down, or making a pass then starring up ice at the player with the puck instead of protecting himself.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Ken Yaremchuk. #7 pick of the Black Hawks in 82. 400+ points in 200 games in Juniors followed by 90 points in 200 NHL games.

brownman*

Alexei Kovalev.

People talk about how he underperforms because he is lazy or doesn't try hard, but I really think it's just a lack of good hockey sense.

Nah, he's certainly lacking a bit between the ears, on the ice, but it's hardly enough to put him in a thread like this.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
You could probably put the majority of top prospects that busted into this category... the guys with all the obvious skills who just couldn't put it together. Or at least the ones where it can't be attributed to laziness.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Alexei Kovalev.

He was the first guy I thought of in this thread.

The guy has a phenomenal blend of individual skill, shooting, passing stickhandling and Skating but sometimes you just question why he did what he did.

Often you wonder why he stickhandled right past the goalie into the stands, even though you were admiring his stickhandling while he had the puck. Sometimes, he would shoot when he should have passed, and vice versa.

HotPie

Dec 3, 2007
Nah, he's certainly lacking a bit between the ears, on the ice, but it's hardly enough to put him in a thread like this.

I actually agree with Kovalev, he was the first guy I thought of too. His hockey sense isn't terrible, but it's what stops him from being a truly elite player.

He probably has one of the best if not the best all-round skill set in the league, but he makes questionable plays often.

And I love Kovalev BTW.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Eddie Shack comes to mind. Great natural ability. Fantastic skater with a hard shot & very physical. Came into the NHL with great fanfare. Put together a fairly good career but was never a good positional player. Would run into his team mates almost as often as the opposition.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Rico Fata. The first guy I thought of. In fact on his draft day when he was drafted 6th or 7th overall with the Flames it was posted on the jumbotron the he had "limited hockey sense." Not very classy, but it was kind of true. Fata was the kind of guy that could probably skate just as fast as anyone in the NHL, even today, but his head never caught up to his feet. He would get the puck caught in his feet all the time. In the '99 WJC he was flying all over creation like a madman but never capitalized on anything really.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Rico Fata. The first guy I thought of. In fact on his draft day when he was drafted 6th or 7th overall with the Flames it was posted on the jumbotron the he had "limited hockey sense." Not very classy, but it was kind of true. Fata was the kind of guy that could probably skate just as fast as anyone in the NHL, even today, but his head never caught up to his feet. He would get the puck caught in his feet all the time. In the '99 WJC he was flying all over creation like a madman but never capitalized on anything really.

There have been a few guys like this. Ken Yaremchuk was already mentioned, and Dave Archibald was another very high pick who had great wheels but no head for the game at all. Tom Chorske was similar, too - had size, wheels, and a huge shot, but no hockey sense, but at least Chorske managed to carve out a solid career as a checker.

For me, though, the definitive guy along these lines was Chris Joseph. As a defender, the guy had everything you needed to be a perennial all-star and top-10 defender in this league. Was 6'3, 210 and had a smooth, effortless skating stride with excellent lateral mobility. Wasn't afraid to play physical. Could throw crisp outlet passes 80 feet tape-to-tape with the best in the game. And had a great shot, both a quality slapper and a laserbeam of a wrister that could beat a goalie clean from 30-40 feet out. Was a 5th overall pick, was playing in the NHL a few weeks after his 18th birthday, and a cornerstone of the Paul Coffey trade while still a teenager. Was supposed to be a franchise defender, and had all the tools be a star.

But he was just dumb as a fencepost in his own zone. Hung around the NHL for almost 15 years as a depth defender, and could never learn how to read the play, and could never stop himself from chasing the puck around like a chicken with its head cut off. As a result, he was never more than a depth guy. I've never seen a player so easily and so consistently confused by a forward crossover on a 2-on-2 rush. Simply couldn't maintain his side of the ice. Huge waste of talent.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Eddie Shack comes to mind. Great natural ability. Fantastic skater with a hard shot & very physical. Came into the NHL with great fanfare. Put together a fairly good career but was never a good positional player. Would run into his team mates almost as often as the opposition.

He was the first guy that came to mind. Unbelievable skater and crowd pleaser...in a "ready to watch a train wreck" kind of way.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
David Tanabe. Unbelievable skater, great shot, great stickhandling skills, decent size. He could have been one of the better offensive defensemen in the league had he any kind of hockey sense whatsoever.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Ric Jackman. All the size and skill you'd want in a defenseman but no head for the game. Probably the same can be said for David Cooper too.

HVPOLARBEARS19

Nov 17, 2005
NY
Interesting topic, I like the vote for Fata. However, how about the player who had the least limited ability but the best hockey sense, and was able to have a successful career because of it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad