Players we have to replace immediately

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Umm signing him for league minimum means we cant be frustrated when he struggles?

You need to stop looking at the stats but rather evaluate him based on his actual play. Not everything shows up on the stat sheet

It means we should consider he is excellent value on a cost/performance ratio.
If stats mean so little why keep track and why are they brought up in contract negotiations. If ranger was a minus 7 right now, I'd bet all the people that say don't look at his stats would be pointing to that minus 7

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Other than winning a little more, not much has changed under Carlyle. Maybe the team needs to make some major roster moves to rid us of the players lacking work ethic. Speaking of LACK, maybe they weren`t the only problems.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Umm signing him for league minimum means we cant be frustrated when he struggles?

You need to stop looking at the stats but rather evaluate him based on his actual play. Not everything shows up on the stat sheet

No signing him for a 1 year 1 million contract means that when he struggles we don't go all LACK hatred on him due to the fact that he is a low risk guy.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
It means we should consider he is excellent value on a cost/performance ratio.
If stats mean so little why keep track and why are they brought up in contract negotiations. If ranger was a minus 7 right now, I'd bet all the people that say don't look at his stats would be pointing to that minus 7

Have his expectations been blown out of proportion? Nobody is expecting him to be a top 2 defensemen. Based on his past history, is it wrong to expect him to play a solid 18-19 minutes a game

I never said stats shouldn't be looked upon but stats shouldnt be the only tool used to evaluate a player. ex. Do stats show how much Kessel has improved defensively?

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
No signing him for a 1 year 1 million contract means that when he struggles we don't go all LACK hatred on him due to the fact that he is a low risk guy.

The fact is that our expectation of Ranger was that his 1 million contract would be a bargain. It would be a disappointment if his play didn't indicate that

Im not singling out Ranger because other than Phaneuf, every defenseman on our team has been struggling defensively. Since the discussion led to Ranger, I am saying that he has been part of our teams struggles

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Every year the fanbase cries we need to replace X Dman.

The team simply needs to find a # 2 Dman (which we probably already have in Rielly) and then everyone can end up slotted properly.

Gunnarson/Ranger simply need to be slotted one place lower.

Remember how we had to get rid of Murphy or Gill or Kostka? Somehow all 3 are good enough to fill a role for cup teams.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Spot on - I love Gunnar but he's not a #2 obviously. If we managed to acquire a more stable partner for Dion, our D placements would be perfect.

Phaneuf - x
Gunnarsson - Rielly
Franson - Gardiner

Last edited:

mj13

Jul 31, 2013
Toronto
I think we need to put franson and fraser back together when he is back and maybe try rielly with phaneuf? That would be quite the risk though but could pan out

Phaneuf-Rielly
Gunnarson- Gardiner
Franson- Fraser

Drugstorecowboi

May 5, 2009
This thread is an embarassment to Maple Leafs fans everywhere. No wonder fans from other markets stereotype us.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Paul Ranger
Carl Gunnarsson

Ignore the minutes. They really both need to go.

Add Kessel, JvR, Lupul and Kadri to that list. They aren't scoring enough, they should be at 2PPG+ pace easy :sarcasm: :shakehead:

It's only been, what 11 games? I think that is way too soon to pass judgment.

PhiladelphiaKessel

DontCrossthe****Line
Aug 9, 2010
Ranger is being paid 1m to be a 6th defenseman. Sure, he's the problem.....

Another year, another 6th dman gets dirt shoveled on him. And the world keeps on turning.

This. It's guys like gunnarrsson , franson, rielly and Gardiner that need to step it up

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
The fact is that our expectation of Ranger was that his 1 million contract would be a bargain. It would be a disappointment if his play didn't indicate that

Im not singling out Ranger because other than Phaneuf, every defenseman on our team has been struggling defensively. Since the discussion led to Ranger, I am saying that he has been part of our teams struggles

You know what the funny thing is. A lot of people dumped on Aki Berg and he was making 1M on a 65M Leaf roster.

I thought he was an okay bottom pairing d-man. Didn't understand the hate for him either.

Tyler Biggs*

What happened to the big and tough Leafs? No more hitting or fighting?! What gives!

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Franson is so frustrating, he's great offensively but some nights like tonight he's just garbage defensively... I see why Nashville gave up on him. He's one of those one dimensional guys who's nowhere near as valuable as his stats suggest.

you spelled Phaneuf wrong again !!!! :laugh:

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
we had a lot of sand paper out of the lineup due to injury/suspension to start the season

When we get back all the tougher players you'll see everyone else's backbone increase. That's usually the way it works. Hopefully we can see a full lineup soon.

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
You know what the funny thing is. A lot of people dumped on Aki Berg and he was making 1M on a 65M Leaf roster.

I thought he was an okay bottom pairing d-man. Didn't understand the hate for him either.

Aki Berg was was as serviceable D, he was paired with Wade Belak (god bless his soul) but his defense was atrocious.

ironrhcp

Jan 14, 2012
Markham Ont
This. It's guys like gunnarrsson , franson, rielly and Gardiner that need to step it up

This is not true at all. Are you saying because he makes 1m and is a 6th D its fine that hes playing like ****? What does that have to do with Jake or Morgan? They are both playing fine hockey right now, so i really don't understand your point. 1 guy being bad is 1 guy being bad dont say these other guys need to step it up because of that. Be smart bud.

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Ranger is fine. $1m for 4-6 minutes. Gunnarsson is the one that needs to be shipped out. Hopefully they get this guy out asap. Good for him for decking Perry, but he's mediocre and really is expendable.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
What the Leafs need to do -- is upgrade on a guy like Paul Ranger... it really is that simple. They needed to do it last year with Mike Kostka/Mark Fraser, and didn't quite make the investment neccessary in Ryan O'Byrne.

Reality is -- the Leafs are underutilizing Jake Gardiner. If they're going to use him properly, they've gotta get him a reliable stay-at-home partner, and elevate his ice time. Franson is effective enough in that department, but he's covering for Morgan Rielly.

Ranger can to a certain extent be excused because he's only paid $1m, but the fact is, he needs to be our 7th defenceman.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Gunnarsson is fine. He's just playing a role he's not good enough for.

That being said, Ranger really needs to sit out. I swear every time he's on the ice the Leafs get hemmed in their zone because he messes up a breakout pass and it gets intercepted. I thought he looked pretty good in preseason, but he's been a bust so far in the regular season. I'd honestly rather have a younger guy like Holzer or Brennen out there than him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad