Players we have to replace immediately

Rob11

Nov 9, 2012
He has been one of our best dmen. Make sure you wear your glasses during the game

with 4 points and being at -4 I don't know how you can call that our best defenceman.

There are some others on the back end with better stats and play thus far. You might need some glasses.

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
Every year we always have that one guy that is an absolute cluster****. Kostka, Ledba, Wallin, etc. now Ranger hasnt impressed me at all. Im not a hater by any means but he doesnt deserve to be here based on his play ive seen.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
With Brad Richards, hindsight is 20/20

Just like the Leafs were in hot pursuit of him, any team with cap space could have used a PPG center. Nobody knew he was going to fall flat on his face (although he had a decent first season).

On the other hand, Clarkson at the age of 29 has not scored more than 17 goals more than once and has never reached 50 points in a season. He isn't stellar defensively, doesn't contribute on the PK and is prone to taking bad penalties. So right off the bat, even for 1 season he isn't worth the 5.25 cap hit

The Leafs made an offer for Brad Richards but I'm not sure you can really say that they were in hot pursuit of him.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
everyone healthy lines are:

JVR Bozak Kessel
Lupul Kadri Clarkson
Raymond Bolland Kulemin
Mclaren Mac Orr

Phaneuf Gunnerson
Franzon Rielly
Fraser Gardiner

I agree we need another top 4 D. Atleast to drop Gunnerson out of the #2 spot.

And as always but wont happen we obviously need a #1 Centre but that aint happening.

Our #1 centre is Nazem Kadri. No, our #1 centre doesn't have to play on the line with our #1 winger, but he arguably does (Lupul). And I'm fine with that. We also win a lot of games with this setup.

This team's weakness is sustained zone time, and getting Clarkson back really helps that, and getting Kulemin back will help that more.

It also has a ****** 4th line. I'd rather some guys that can play, or even PK. Orr has 0P in 11GP with a -2. Defensive genius McClement has 0P in 10GP with a -2. Guys like McLaren and Devane also suck at hockey. I'd prefer to see David Broll in there.

Mo Riels has also not been good, but he's 19. Liles is absolutely a better defenceman both offensively and defensively right now.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Bozak needs to be replaced. Zero offense, mediocre defense, for some reason he sucks at faceoffs too.

Absolute useless.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Ranger is being paid 1m to be a 6th defenseman. Sure, he's the problem.....

Another year, another 6th dman gets dirt shoveled on him. And the world keeps on turning.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
The Leafs made an offer for Brad Richards but I'm not sure you can really say that they were in hot pursuit of him.

The Maple Leafs made a one-hour pitch to top free agent Brad Richards and his agent Pat Morris this afternoon and are now waiting to see where the former Dallas Star, and top centre among this year’s NHL free agent crop, signs.

With Toronto general manager Brian Burke in Kandahar with the Canadian troops, the Leafs were represented by VP of Hockey Operations Dave Nonis, advisor Cliff Fletcher and assistant GM Claude Loiselle.

--------------------------------------

Seems like they really wanted him

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2011/07/01/leafs_make_onehour_pitch_for_brad_richards.html

Avec Fromage*

Strangely enough, Phaneuf has been very good so far. He might be our only D who is consistently reliable.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
with 4 points and being at -4 I don't know how you can call that our best defenceman.

There are some others on the back end with better stats and play thus far. You might need some glasses.

Because points and plus/minus are good ways to evaluate defencemen...

That just shows a kindergarten-level understanding of the game.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
The Maple Leafs made a one-hour pitch to top free agent Brad Richards and his agent Pat Morris this afternoon and are now waiting to see where the former Dallas Star, and top centre among this year’s NHL free agent crop, signs.

With Toronto general manager Brian Burke in Kandahar with the Canadian troops, the Leafs were represented by VP of Hockey Operations Dave Nonis, advisor Cliff Fletcher and assistant GM Claude Loiselle.

--------------------------------------

Seems like they really wanted him

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2011/07/01/leafs_make_onehour_pitch_for_brad_richards.html

I guess it depends on what you define as "hot pursuit" That, to me, doesn't qualify.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios

I think Phaneuf has easily been our best defensemen thus far

Everyone else has been average or below average. I would say Rielly has been average so far but our 2nd best defensemen. Of course, Rielly is a rookie and my standards of him aren't as high as others right now

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
I guess it depends on what you define as "hot pursuit" That, to me, doesn't qualify.

How would you define hot pursuit?

I would think having all your big guns (minus Burke) there to make a 1 hour pitch means you really really want that player. How much more could they have done?

At the end of the day, you need to give Richards and his agent some space to make their decision

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
How would you define hot pursuit?

I would think having all your big guns (minus Burke) there to make a 1 hour pitch means you really really want that player. How much more could they have done?

At the end of the day, you need to give Richards and his agent some space to make their decision

I think hot pursuit to Rojac means that Nonis would hold a gun to Richards head and Burke would inform him either his signature or his brains would be on the contract . :D

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Ranger is being paid 1m to be a 6th defenseman. Sure, he's the problem.....

Another year, another 6th dman gets dirt shoveled on him. And the world keeps on turning.

He has 3 points and is a plus 2, good enough for 2nd best on the team amongst Dmen. He logs the 4th most minutes, we're 7&4, all for that million bucks. Sheesh what do most here expect from Ranger?

Rob11

Nov 9, 2012

Really..?

They are very good ways to show how a player is playing.

It shows he was on the ice for 8 goals against. It may have not been directly because of his play but it is not a kindergarten way of looking at the the game.

On the ice for 8 goals against is bad, he's -4. That's not good last time checked.

Franson is -2 but has been on the ice for 10 goals. Also terrible.

It's been a miserable pairing.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Here's the answer: fewer turnovers.

He has 11 takeaways and 13 giveaways, so yeah he's a minus 2 in that regard. Playing. Top 4 minutes for a million bucks, it's not like we're paying him. 4 million a year to be that top 4 guy.

Edit to add, although logging more minutes Phaneuf appears to be doing less. With only 8 takeaways and 11 giveaways for a net minus 3. Maybe the Pylon moniker is correct.

Last edited:

Rob11

Nov 9, 2012

I also suppose if one of our defenceman had put up 10 points in 11 games and was plus 11 that would be still a very kindergarten way to look at how good he's playing.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
He has 11 takeaways and 13 giveaways, so yeah he's a minus 2 in that regard. Playing. Top 4 minutes for a million bucks, it's not like we're paying him. 4 million a year to be that top 4 guy.

Theres a difference between playing Top 4 minutes and deserving to play Top 4 minutes.

Seems like most of us as well as the coaching staff penciled in Ranger as our top 4 before the regular season even began

So far, he has been underwhelming to say the least...

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Theres a difference between playing Top 4 minutes and deserving to play Top 4 minutes.

Seems like most of us as well as the coaching staff penciled in Ranger as our top 4 before the regular season even began

By the end of the season yes. Not right out of the gate. Have a little bit of faith people.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
I also suppose if one of our defenceman had put up 10 points in 11 games and was plus 11 that would be still a very kindergarten way to look at how good he's playing.

I know you're trying to mock me, but yes.

Surely you understand the flaw of using offence to make judgments about a defenceman.

Plus/minus is misrepresentative of defensive ability regardless of how positive or negative it is. It is not a good measure of individual defensive skill. It is far too reliant on the other 5 teammates on the ice.

Did you know Niklas Lidstrom won the Norris Trophy in a year he was -2? If plus/minus was a good measure of defensive ability, Jeff Schultz would have a few Norris Trophies.

I don't have all day to teach you the fundamentals of hockey. Educate yourself.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I think Gunnarson is one of our better defenders. I'd replace bozak, or at least switch him and Kadri.

Rob11

Nov 9, 2012
I know you're trying to mock me, but yes.

Surely you understand the flaw of using offence to make judgments about a defenceman.

Plus/minus is misrepresentative of defensive ability regardless of how positive or negative it is. It is not a good measure of individual defensive skill. It is far too reliant on the other 5 teammates on the ice.

I don't have all day to teach you the fundamentals of hockey. Educate yourself.

I understand that. Based on a study done in the summer over half of goals against minus stats are given to players that didn't even cause the goal. Morgan Reilly could also be one of those players. If your surrounded by weaker players your plus minus could be indicative of that regardless of the individual players play.

It's not a completely fair stat but it is still useful.

The pairing with Franson has been bad though based on goals against as they spend time with many different forward lines.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

When you look at all his stats he is our 3rd or 4th best Dman. And why do people keep ignoring we're getting him for almost league minimum.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
When you look at all his stats he is our 3rd or 4th best Dman. And why do people keep ignoring we're getting him for almost league minimum.

Umm signing him for league minimum means we cant be frustrated when he struggles?

You need to stop looking at the stats but rather evaluate him based on his actual play. Not everything shows up on the stat sheet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad