Status
Not open for further replies.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=115032

Still Sabres player representative Jay McKee was surprised when he heard the union would accept a cap.

''If that's where we were going, I wonder why now,'' he said.

Even Redden, also in Edmonton, wondered about the timing.

''If it could have been done two years ago it could have been a lot more convenient for everyone,'' he said.

Chicago forward Matthew Barnaby was of the same mind.

''We probably could've gotten this thing done in the summertime,'' he said. ''Am I mad? No. I want to get back to work. But at the same time, I'm just a little disappointed that it went this far to play poker and to have someone call your bluff.''

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
barnaby said:
"We probably could've gotten this thing done in the summertime,'' he said. ''Am I mad? No. I want to get back to work. But at the same time, I'm just a little disappointed that it went this far to play poker and to have someone call your bluff.''

Barnaby just summed it all up right there.

The NHLPA bluffed, the NHL didn't blink, and the leaders of the NHLPA were too stupid to realize the NHL wouldn't blink.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
JWI19 said:

I can't blame them. I don't see how Goodenow can survive this; he's about to accept a cap AND has cost his players 3/4 of a season. Not only that, but he's having to toss in a 24% rollback, too.

Bettman has, by and large, done his job for the owners. The same can't be said for Goodenow.

Even as someone more on the side of players, it's hard not to admit that Goodenow has been soundly defeated (assuming a deal along the lines of what has been proposed comes to fruition).

OilerNut*

Sounds like Goodenow is going to be in hot water with the players.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Jobu said:
I can't blame them. I don't see how Goodenow can survive this; he's about to accept a cap AND has cost his players 3/4 of a season. Not only that, but he's having to toss in a 24% rollback, too.

Bettman has, by and large, done his job for the owners. The same can't be said for Goodenow.

Agreed. You can hammer Bettman regarding expansions, etc., though even there, looking long term intstead of short term, that still could pay off bit. But with these negotiations especially, how anyone can say that Bettman did a poor job for those he represents would be totally off base. Despite losing most if not of this season, if this goes where it seems to be going, the owners have to be thrilled with his leadership right now.

X0ssbar

I honestly don't know if Goodenow made the call to accept the cap. With Roenick/Progner/Iginla in the mix now and especially reading into some of Roenick's comments regarding that their actions are not ment to undermine Goodenow - the players may have went around the bossman.

At this point, everything is speculation but might as well speculate while we wait.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
It probably would have been done in the summer if the two sides had actually talked...stupid negotiation tactics. If there is a season, and there is a cap I wonder how many of those players that proclaimed so sternly that they would not play under a cap will come back and play under a cap...

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Jay McKee was singing a different tune just yesterday

"I can assure you the players are getting stronger and stronger," Sabres player representative Jay McKee said. "There is no way a cap will ever be accepted. Gary's getting into a fight he never saw coming. He's in the fight of his life. (The players) aren't the type of guys will back away when they're pushed"

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050215/1024903.asp

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The NHLPA turns around and offer a cap :shakehead

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Top Shelf said:
I honestly don't know if Goodenow made the call to accept the cap. With Roenick/Progner/Iginla in the mix now and especially some of Roenick's comments regarding their actions are not ment to undermine Goodenow - the players may have went around the bossman.

At this point, everything is speculation but might as well speculate while we wait.

Either way, Goodenow's on the outs. If he was undermined, circumstances would dictate that he ought to step down. If he wasn't undermined, he's still been beaten.

Godoenow can be hawkish all he wants on trying to wait this out, but if it doesn't reflect the wishes of his constituents, it's not his call.

His advice all along was obviously to wait out the owners, and it didn't work.

In short, I can't see how Goodenow sticks around when all is said and done.

creative giant*

RangerBoy said:

"I can assure you the players are getting stronger and stronger," Sabres player representative Jay McKee said. "There is no way a cap will ever be accepted. Gary's getting into a fight he never saw coming. He's in the fight of his life. (The players) aren't the type of guys will back away when they're pushed"

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D'oh..

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
If the players had any sense, they would shut up until this is finished. Anything they say now is going to do nothing more than weaken the negotiating position of the NHLPA.

I'm pro-owner, but if you are the NHLPA, why would you give in on the cap early on? Giving the owners the cap is a huge concession, one that should be given with the expectation of great returns. The only way to maximize the return was to make the owners hurt a bit and put their collective backs up against the wall, just as the NHLPA's backs are right now.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
Number 19 said:
It probably would have been done in the summer if the two sides had actually talked...stupid negotiation tactics. If there is a season, and there is a cap I wonder how many of those players that proclaimed so sternly that they would not play under a cap will come back and play under a cap...
I really want to see a reporter go up to McCabe and ask him if hes going to retire from the NHL or is he going to show himself up to be a liar.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
N.Y. Orangeman said:
If the players had any sense, they would shut up until this is finished. Anything they say now is going to do nothing more than weaken the negotiating position of the NHLPA.

I'm pro-owner, but if you are the NHLPA, why would you give in on the cap early on? Giving the owners the cap is a huge concession, one that should be given with the expectation of great returns. The only way to maximize the return was to make the owners hurt a bit and put their collective backs up against the wall, just as the NHLPA's backs are right now.

They really have not left themselves enough time to get cute and fancy with the negotiations. Really, with something like 17 hours left, how much bluffing can they do to 'make the owners hurt a bit and put their collective backs up against the wall.' At this point you lay the cards on the table.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Goodenow is supposed to do as the players say, so if the players as a whole "caved in" to the dread Cap then it really is not his direct fault. It just means he did a bad job representing the players' "bluff".

I don't know about him being fired, though whenever his contract expires it simply might not be renewed.

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
ok where is the "game on!" thread. lets not call this over, Bettman hasen't won a damned thing yet, but get the NHL on the brink of catastrophy. I still see no where where the NHL is willing to move its cap or what ever to get a deal done, only really it seems he wants to hurt the union more. So what ever 'victory' bettman wins useless without a NHL 05 season.

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
Jaded-Fan said:
They really have not left themselves enough time to get cute and fancy with the negotiations. Really, with something like 17 hours left, how much bluffing can they do to 'make the owners hurt a bit and put their collective backs up against the wall.' At this point you lay the cards on the table.

If there is progress really being made, do you for a second believe the owners will hold fast to this deadline of 1:00 EST tomorrow? I don't believe so. If they are close, talks will continue, as it is in everyone's best interest. Afterall, what is the real difference between a 24 game schedule and a 28 game schedule and, more importantly, a CBA for the next 5-6 years.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
N.Y. Orangeman said:

If the PA would have accepted a $45m cap in September, no way in Hell would they have to be giving up 24% of existing contracts as well. Oh, and they wouldn't have foregone 75% of 2004/05.

I agree that you don't give it up easily, but I don't see how giving it up now stands them in greater stead than had they done it earlier. Granted, maybe earlier the owners wouldn't have given up linkage, but I suspect they would have for a cap.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
N.Y. Orangeman said:

Goodenow makes $3.25 MILLION per year :lol

The players were surprised by the 24% rollback and by OFFERING a cap

You have to feel for the players.They were sold a bill of goods and lost so much money they will never recover.The exec commitee led by Mr.Linden and Mr.Guerin plus Goodenow and Saskin have alot of explaining to do

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
Steve L said:
I really want to see a reporter go up to McCabe and ask him if hes going to retire from the NHL or is he going to show himself up to be a liar.

It will happen I guarantee it.

AlexGodynyuk

Feb 3, 2005
RangerBoy said:

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mustn't have gotten the memo telling him to soften his stance.
I never understood why guys like McKee, Avery and Esche were so adverse to a cap. The middle/low tier guys are the ones who are likely to be lesat effected by it (granted it might mean they change teams a bit more, but salary wise they should be roughly the same).

OilerNut*

I say there is a 90% chance of a season this year now. The players won't want to lose out money over a $12 million difference and same with the owners, espically considering how much they make in the playoffs.

Cropduster

Aug 22, 2004
California
OilerNut said:
I say there is a 90% chance of a season this year now. The players won't want to lose out money over a $12 million difference and same with the owners, espically considering how much they make in the playoffs.

wow, 90%? Well I hope you are right...

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
The problem is that both sides negotiating strategy's is to wait till the last minute then talk. Hopefully next time both sides will treat the start of the season as a deadline, and we can avoid all this. But as it stands, I expect this sort of prolonged work-stopage inevitable in negotiations between these 2 sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad