WJC: Players that impressed the most

Disappearing Semin

Oct 18, 2012
Drouin
Trouba
Gaudreau(knew he was good, just after the bad start didn't believe in him too much)
Collberg
Lindholm
Teravainen

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Going off the board here.

TKACHYOV - will be an excellent NHL player, if he ever decides to come over that is. Very smartly flashy but should be good for 40 points while playing smart hockey

GUERRA - From Swiss I thought was one of the smartest D men in the tournament. Again not too flashy but should find success as a mobile but responsible D-man.

SIMION - Also from the Swiss, I thought he has a very nice game that should translate well to NHL success.

McCabe - A very sound D-man that has some nice offensive upside.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Kucherov and Trouba impressed me more than I expected.

Of the Hawk's draft picks:

Teravainen really impressed. Smooth skater, great hands and vision and better point shot than I expected. Played well in all three zones. Very pleased with him.

Danault confirmed what I thought. Good skater. Great motor. Played defensive role the coaches wanted very well. Has more offense than shown in WJC. I can see Danault playing 3rd line for Hawks in not too distant future.

McNeill played OK in limitted role. Nothing really impressed. Needs to improve everything if he's ever going to play in NHL.

Shalunov was a big disappointment after playing fairly well in the Subway series a couple months ago. He got less ice time as the series went on and I don't blame the coach for that because Shalunov looked like a prima donna when he didn't get a pass he thought he should have. His demeanor on the bench seemed detached and it looked like he was pouting instead of being a team player. Very disappointed.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
What i like most, was that most people on here called it a bad move and a fail, that Dumba or whoever would have been a better choice.

Wotherspoon proved why he is a top guy on the Winterhawks and why he is likely to be a solid NHL'r

And yet we never did get to see Dumba and the team bottomed out.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
It is inyteresting that only few people mention Jones. To me he is the backbone of that US team. Just like Pronger was to Anaheim - take that guy out and they'll fall like dominoes. He is 1st overall, no doubts about that.

Seconded. I think he's getting overlooked a little. Will be the best player of this draft when all is said and done. Book it! Feel free to quote me 15 years from now to tell me I'm wrong.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
He's pretty much stoned everyone so far. Problem with previous Canada game and Russia game was that the team in front of him couldn't score.

Sounds like someone I root for
frozen_inside072407_replacement.jpg

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I am going to play homer for a minute.

Markus Granlund has really impressed me. If Someone told me that he would register 2 points per game in a complete tournament I would have suggested they lay off the mind altering substances.

Tyler Wotherspoon has also really impressed me, I never expected to even make the club let alone be a solid player for the Canadians.

Johnny Gaudreau while I expected him to play well, the way he has produced those last 3 games is nothing short of incredible.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
I was impressed with a Czech player who I tough was a PK blocking shot robot, #28, had to chek out for his name Michal Svihalek. Really liked Lukas Sedlak too.

Jacob De la Rose was impressive with his work in the corners and his physicality.

Valeri Nichuskin seemed to be unstopable at times, had never seen him, just read about his "selfishness" and he impressed me alot.

Mirco Muller, looks to be really safe for such a young D.

Leon Draisaitl, at time he looks to be the only "hockey player" on that german team. No disrespect for Tobias Rieder, but Draisaitl thinked the game a level above anyone on his team.

Marko Dano, only saw him one game but was dangerous almost every shift, another guy who could have benefit from more talented player.

Sean Kuraly and Reily Barber, both impress me cause reading here they were suppose to be aweful and in the couple game I saw they were both more noticable than their linemate.

USA defense, really impressive work by this group, by far the best group of Dmen I saw in the tournament (haven't seen Sweden, Finland).

There's probably others too.

Didn't mention RNH, Grigorenko and co. Not because they were bad, just because I knew they were good. They were good, just not above what I allready thinked.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Seth Jones really proved to me why he should be #1 pick. Played the best of the draft eligible players. Real leader out there for Team USA. Very mature for his age. Has room to improve but all the natural tools are there. Very imposing on offense and defense and heck of a skater.

It will come down to which team gets the #1 pick this year if they need Offense or Defense. MacKinnon and Jones are both great choices but MacKinnon left some to be desired at this tournament. Would have liked him to get more ice time. Jones played as #1 Defenseman USA in a shutdown role playing PK and PP. Really impressed with that workload for a draft eligible player, helping his team reach the Gold Medal game.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
17 year old Valeri Nichushkin - not just because his Bronze winning goal, he was really impressive throughout the whole tournament.

Aceonfire*

The players I liked the most from this tournament

1. Leon Draisaitl- I see him probably being the best German born player ever, kid has sick skills. (Heatley is overrated)

2. Nikita Kucherov- He was a scoring chance machine for the Russians.

3. Scott Harrington- He showed an offensive side to his game along with his shutdown prowess. For sure the best D for Canada.

4. Sebastian Collberg- Mitch Moroz really Edmonton?

5. Jacob Trouba- I am a fan of this kid now. He and Jones made everyone else on the team look better.

6. The entire Finnish team.

Aceonfire*

At this stage of their careers one year after their draft... Lander > Collberg. And look at Lander now.

I was never very high on Lander. He didn't have much of an offensive game and his skating was average.

Collberg looks like a smaller Paajarvi that can actually score. I understand that Edmonton was trying to draft some grit, but Collberg could have and should have been a 1st rounder imo.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Draisatl
Andrighetto - Most unexpected performer of the tournament?
Wikstrand
Gibson
Subban

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
At this stage of their careers one year after their draft... Lander > Collberg. And look at Lander now.

Lander is a '91....Collberg a '94...not sure what your point is. Moroz was a moronic pick. Especially that soon with so much talent left. Forget about Collberg if you want, you could even go with Finn, Kerdiles, Aberg, McCabe, Sissons, whatever. You don't draft that soon a guy you know will be nothing more than at the very best a 3rd liner. Somehow, they thought he was Lucic 2.0, panicked and went from him.....At the time and still now, this will be the biggest surprise if he amounts to anything more than that. And that kind of player...you can have it later in the draft.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
If Jake McCabe had more hype heading into the tournament, people would be raving about the things he was doing for the entire final two minutes of the Final. Absolutely flawless shift to wrap things up for Team USA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad