WJC: Players that impressed the most

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Obviously Drouin I think is having the most impressive tournament from what was originally expected.

For Jackets prospects, I think Mike Reilly has impressed me the most. He was originally borderline to make the U.S. team and was a 4th round pick. Basically an afterthought. But he's stepped his game up and is a solid contributor on the U.S. Jr. team playing primarily even strength 2nd pairing minutes.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Usa: Trouba
Canada: Ouellet
Rus: Kucherov

Swe: Sandberg
Cze: Jaskin
Swi: Müller

PensBeerGeek

May 1, 2007
Washington, PA
Relative to pre-tournament expectations, I've gotta give some props to Cole Bardreau.

He's an undrafted player brought in to be nothing more than an energy line center. To win Player of the Game in a point-a-thon like the Slovakia game is a great achievement.

Hopefully he gets some serious looks at prospect camps this summer (and hopefully there are prospect camps this summer).

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
I've only seen games between USA, Canada, and Russia so these are the only teams I will comment on.

Nitchuskin has been dominant, and remember he's only 17 years old and playing with 3rd line Russian players. I see shades of Malkin in him every game, been following him for 6 months now and he's gonna be a special player, IMO he should be in the conversation for first overall.

Mike Reilly for the US has shown some nice progress, he reminds me of a young Mike Green.

Oulette for Canada has been exceptional as advertised, really smart player.

Galchenyuk has really impressed me, he has that rare ability to completely hide his intentions. Such a lethal combination of size and skill, and then there's that shot... he's gonna be a steal at #3 overall.

Trouba has really increased his stock in my books. He's a lot smarter than I once thought with better hockey IQ. Exceptional skater, reminds me of a better skating Kronwall.

Kucherov has stood out in every game I've seen. Great skater, pro shot, possesses that knack of finding open space, and he has a great motor.

John Gibson has been a rock. Sooo mentally strong, understated athleticism, big frame, excellent technical ability to read the play. Such a beauty.

Vasilevaki has elite #1 potential. So much raw talent and athleticism, huge frame, perfect at predicting the play, never quits on a play. Professional demeanour, can't believe he slid to TB.

Last edited:

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Going to buck the trend and say Mackinnon. He hasn't had much in the way of ice time or points, but I like the way he skates, plays physical, and has shown some nice hands around the net making scoring chances for himself and line mates. It's too bad Drouin is overshadowing him quite a bit because I think that's negatively affecting the way some are looking at his play.

Apart from 2 bad penalties he took against Russia, I think he's played well with what he's being given and with a few bounces going his way he could have a few goals and a few more assists.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Trouba may be the best overall player in the tournament right now, by far the best on his team. And Drouin doing this as a 17 year old on Canada is nuts.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
A bit of a homer vote, and I'm not sure how he did in other games, but Biggs really stood out on team USA against Canada in a good way when I watched. Always seemed to be part of the action.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Hertl and Jaskin for the Czechs had been absolutely phenomenal. Both are so strong and smart and got the sick mitts. I'm anxious to see them play the US, they're both better offensively than any American minus Galchenyuk.

WreckItRask

Mar 5, 2007
Minnesota
A bit of a homer vote, and I'm not sure how he did in other games, but Biggs really stood out on team USA against Canada in a good way when I watched. Always seemed to be part of the action.

I'm not a Biggs hater by any stretch, but he's exactly as advertised. Big guy, decent skater, and is most likely going to have a decent NHL career on a 3rd/4th line. But not once I have seen anything from him that makes me believe he can be a top 6 player in the NHL. I suppose it's never a bad thing to know what your strength are though and stick to them. Similar to Camara to be totally honest. I think both guys likely carve out NHL careers, but it ain't gonna be because they score goals.

For me. The've all been mentioned here for the most part. Drouin/Ouillette for Canada. Trouba for US. I like Boone Jenner's game a lot. Didn't know a lot about him before. From the U.S., Vesey and Hartman are two kids that have really impressed. I also think Lucia is good, but he's simply not getting enough opportunity imo.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Leon Draisaitl
Valeri Nickushkin
Jacob Trouba
Shayne Gostisbehere
Alexander Wennberg
Miro Aaltonen(before injury)
Xavier Ouellet

LaTenderness*

I guess I'll be the first to put in my vote I'm for C-bass aka the Collberg report

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad