Players that don't play up to their potential due to confidence issues?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Maybe Heiskanen, having to play his offside and with some middling d partners. I don't think he's gotten enough flack for how bad he's been this year and not taking that next step into a bonafide Top5 dman.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The player that comes to my mind is Josh Bailey. He played in the NHL way too early, would show flashes, then make a mistake, get down on himself & disappear for *long* stretches of time. He'd defer constantly, and wouldn't show the creativity, and skill he had. He always had pretty flashy mitts.

It really took him years to figure out that he could play with (and shoot) the puck, and by the time he did he was getting past his physical prime. Even then he deferred too much. It's not like he would have been a point per game player or anything, but he could have been a 60 point guy far sooner than he became one, and had a much better career overall. He should have had at least 1 year more in junior.

Pucklington

Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Rename this tread Jack Campbell, crumple it up and throw it in the garbage can, burn that garbage, and melt the garbage can for scrap.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
I know someone mentioned Spencer Knight for the Panthers (and I agree), but I also think Anton Lundell belongs on this list. He shows flashes and at other times it looks like he's second guessing himself.

Reactions: Drugs Delaney

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
A whole bunch of Panthers players. I think it effects a lot more players than I think people may realize. Even players who still managed to be good.
If it's not taken care of during the development process, a lot of players will have that problem throughout their careers. A lot of the time the source or building block if you will, for the low confidence issues, is a part of their game that's a weakness. Like not being a good skater etc.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
On the Rangers I'd say it's Shesterkin and to a smaller extent Mika Zibanejad. I honestly think Shesterkin has as much if not more physical talent than Lundqvist. But his slumps are a lot longer and worse. Then all of a sudden he comes out of them and course corrects. But it does look like when he's struggling like he has extreme confidence issues. Steve Valiquette a former goalie who now owns an analytics company and is an analyst of the Rangers said that at one point through January Shesterkin had the WORST save % in the NHL amongst starters when down by 2. If that doesn't show confidence issues I don't know what does. He has enough character and mental fortitude to course correct as I've mentioned the last two years he became a wall in February. But he can be an all time great and as of now he doesn't have that mental strength to be there. Lundqvist improved his mental strength over the course of his career and Igor did have a historically good season two years ago so this may change. I'm not giving up hope about him living up to his potential just yet.

Mika goes through stretches where he can't shoot or handle the puck at all and then goes on heaters usually around this time of the year. He sucked all year so far this year though and it's not looking like he's get better at least this year.

Another goalie with a much lower ceiling who also gets confidence issues is Georgiev.
I'd figure Kakko was the biggest case of that on the rags.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
For the Flyers it has been Morgan Frost, which makes the Torts treatment kind of funny (in a "this is really stupid" way).

Last year after the season he spoke in his exit interview about not knowing what the coaching staff expected of him; this year he frequently speaks of confidence in his postgame interviews and being "pumped up" by teammates. Which is why it's nuts that, after being one of their best players last season and leading the team in scoring in the preseason, Tortorella decided to use him as the 13th forward for the first 2.5 months of the season.

Kid produces when he plays consistent minutes with decent linemates and looks lost when he doesn't. His 200-foot game is pretty good, he is not and never has been a defensive liability. Basically every forward on the team other than Couturier makes more boneheaded mistakes with the puck or defensively than he does. So when Tortorella benches him, it's hard to discern why—and it seems to be hard for him to figure out, too. Usually it's after games when the whole team plays terribly.

So when he's getting jerked in and out of the lineup, he usually plays pretty shitty: ultra-short shifts, over-forechecking to throw hits and look engaged even though that's not his game and he's not effective when doing that. Just looks like a guy who isn't certain what the assignment is—whereas when he's gotten comfortable on a line and just been allowed to play, he's a perfectly good NHL 2C.

Last edited:
Reactions: Strawberry Fields

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Think it's a mental health thing or drug related?

It's a mental health thing, He said so on his Instagram.

On topic, I think Kakko is the answer. He just doesn't play anywhere close to what he used to before he joined the NHL.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
This year it's Pettersson. He has insane skill and a very accurate shot but he rarely shows any flash this season. Petey is still on pace for 100 point season but this year he looks different, showing signs of frustration in his play. Loses the puck or misses an attempt to score he puts his head down and kind of sulks about it. He is not beating players one on one with his insane dekes. I think Pettersson totally fits the bill here, when he's on he's on, when he has a bunch of bad games he really seems to take it hard on himself.

Reactions: geebster

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
This year it's Pettersson. He has insane skill and a very accurate shot but he rarely shows any flash this season. Petey is still on pace for 100 point season but this year he looks different, showing signs of frustration in his play. Loses the puck or misses an attempt to score he puts his head down and kind of sulks about it. He is not beating players one on one with his insane dekes. I think Pettersson totally fits the bill here, when he's on he's on, when he has a bunch of bad games he really seems to take it hard on himself.
Pettersson seems like a perfect answer here, as he has the talent to be a top 3-5 player in the game but his worst enemy seems to be between his ears. Mind you, it's not just this year. Pettersson has been so up and down since his rookie season and appears to go through long stretches where he's down on himself and his body language is terrible. Maybe he should pull a MacKinnon and hire a sport psychologist?

Reactions: geebster

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Cody Glass needed a sports psychiatrist after his rookie season being marred by injuries. His first ten or so games he looked like he could definitely be a top line center for Vegas eventually but it was a struggle ever since then.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It's a mental health thing, He said so on his Instagram.

On topic, I think Kakko is the answer. He just doesn't play anywhere close to what he used to before he joined the NHL.

I don't think it's because of confidence. I think it's because he sucks at offense. Maybe I'm just biased towards guys that have shown something in the NHL at times and other times look lost rather than someone who is who he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00