Players that don't play up to their potential due to confidence issues?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
On the Rangers I'd say it's Shesterkin and to a smaller extent Mika Zibanejad. I honestly think Shesterkin has as much if not more physical talent than Lundqvist. But his slumps are a lot longer and worse. Then all of a sudden he comes out of them and course corrects. But it does look like when he's struggling like he has extreme confidence issues. Steve Valiquette a former goalie who now owns an analytics company and is an analyst of the Rangers said that at one point through January Shesterkin had the WORST save % in the NHL amongst starters when down by 2. If that doesn't show confidence issues I don't know what does. He has enough character and mental fortitude to course correct as I've mentioned the last two years he became a wall in February. But he can be an all time great and as of now he doesn't have that mental strength to be there. Lundqvist improved his mental strength over the course of his career and Igor did have a historically good season two years ago so this may change. I'm not giving up hope about him living up to his potential just yet.

Mika goes through stretches where he can't shoot or handle the puck at all and then goes on heaters usually around this time of the year. He sucked all year so far this year though and it's not looking like he's get better at least this year.

Another goalie with a much lower ceiling who also gets confidence issues is Georgiev.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Joel Armia aside from his speed has everything you'd want in a player. Great hands, very good hockey IQ, 200foot player, creative, but even being a little slower he's not a consistent 20+ goal scorer as his skill set dictates he could be. It's likely his hockey drive that seems to fade at times.

When he got sent to the A and came back up, he took it as a wake up call and cared and looked good. I guess he isn't scared of the A anymore, or knows he won't go back.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
When I think of confidence directly affecting a player, the first guy who comes to mind is Jack Campbell.

Plays so well when he’s feeling good about his game but completely unravels when self doubt creeps in.

A shame, as he seems like a genuine nice person any time I see/ hear an interview, making him easy to cheer for.

drede

Jul 13, 2023
Speculating with these things doesnt really benefit anyone but Ill say he donates money to a mens mental health foundation based on the points he scores
That's great didn't Johnny donate too?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad