Players that don't play up to their potential due to confidence issues?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Filip Zadina in Detroit was a big example of this. Everyone would talk about how hard he worked, how easy he was to like and root for to succeed. However, it just seemed to spiral out of control. He would often look both confused and angry.

I agree with those pointing out this is actually the case with a high number of players. It does stand out to me more when it feels like a guy with the requisite talent to play in the league is washing out because of clear confidence issues. Lots of guys ride the rollercoaster or are streaky players by nature.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
This thread is drenched with the name Huberdeau. And I don't disagree. None of what we have seen from him over the last 2 seasons makes sense. In the summer of 2022 how many people had him on the 1st line for a future Olympics/World Cup playing with McDavid?

But I am also going to say Lafreniere. He is sure showing a lot of glimpses at what he can do. Something is amiss with the 2020 draft. He isn't the only one who got his development delayed. So many of these guys missed critical ice time at their age in their draft year and then the following season. Look at him the other night against the Leafs, he certainly can be that type of player if he wants to be.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
I believe this was Troy Terry early in his career. I think he talked about it a bit on Spittin Chiclets?

Reactions: snowave

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
This thread is drenched with the name Huberdeau. And I don't disagree. None of what we have seen from him over the last 2 seasons makes sense. In the summer of 2022 how many people had him on the 1st line for a future Olympics/World Cup playing with McDavid?

But I am also going to say Lafreniere. He is sure showing a lot of glimpses at what he can do. Something is amiss with the 2020 draft. He isn't the only one who got his development delayed. So many of these guys missed critical ice time at their age in their draft year and then the following season. Look at him the other night against the Leafs, he certainly can be that type of player if he wants to be.
You could probably throw Kakko in there as well. You see him once in a blue moon be decisive and either take the puck hard to the net or rip off a strong wrister. But more often than not you see hesitation and uncertainty in his offensive game.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Pretty sure the list starts with Patrik Laine

It's true but kind of odd in a way.

He motivates himself to try and be the best player on the planet and then gets very down on himself. And instead of getting back to basics he tries to be superman. It looks to me like a player that doesn't understand himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad