Players that could have been

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Edmundo. Pace, power, enormous skill - finished Fiorentina's outside shot at winning Serie A in 1999 because he preferred to attend the Rio Carnival, which neatly illustrated why more prestigious European teams were smart to give him a wide berth.

Stan Collymore. In terms of talent, arguably the best English striker of his generation.

It might sound odd to name Robbie Fowler, but consider that he never scored 20 league goals in a season after the age of 21 - an age at which he seemed a dead certainty to overhaul Shearer as the EPL's leading all-time scorer in time.

Julen Guerrero's career was always likely to hit a glass ceiling once he committed himself to Athletic Bilbao, but he went into a long decline that was sad to see.

Ivan de la Pena (I know there should be accents in his name, but I'm lazy) became a kind of footballing hero in the city of Barcelona, but not in the way hoped for him when he was 20 or so.

Much as Titus Bramble is mocked, it was brain cells he lacked, not talent.

Joe Cole's career ended up lucrative and successful, but nowhere near as glorious as had been projected when he was a teenager.

I loved to watch the Santos team of 2002-2004. Diego and Robinho were such fun to watch, but neither lived up to the hype that inevitably followed their winning the Brazilian title as teenagers with the club of Pele.

If we're allowing players whose careers were derailed by injuries:

Michael Bridges would not, I think, have been a star of the first rank, but an excellent player for Leeds and a useful asset to England backing up Rooney and Owen during the Wooden Generation era (surely better than Vassell and, I think, more useful than Heskey and Crouch, although very different player to each of them).

Jonathan Woodgate was not the brightest of lads off the field. On it, he oozed quality on the rare occasions when he was near to being healthy.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Canales - Injuries and the Madrid move which is worse than injuries. Still became a decent player for mid table sides.

Vallejo - hyped to be the next thing boom Madrid.

Ceballos- Madrid

More to come :)

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Are we talking completely flops or just guys that didn't live up to their talents?

Rafael van der Vaart comes to mind for the latter. He was easily viewed as the biggest talent in the Netherlands coming up, and ahead of guys like Sneijder, Robben, van Persie, etc. Maybe the knee injury at 18 had a big impact on his career overall, and while he wasn't terrible by any means I think the expectations were a lot higher than what he ended up with.
He wasted his good years at HSV.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Sebastian Deisler was considered the biggest talent in Germany around 2000. Then injuries happed, metal problems. he quit football when he was 27yo.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Adriano could have been so much more.

I assume you're referring to the former Inter striker, otherwise this will prove a tangent on my part - but I happened to look at his Wikipedia page just a few days back, and learned about his awful personal problems that had passed me by at the time they occurred - I just remembered him playing at the 06 World Cup and steadily fading afterward.

Reactions: Deficient Mode

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Canales did look great for a few months but Madrid signing and then the brutal injuries do make for a great what if specially when he plays now quite good for Real Sociedad/Betis. Who knows what could have been with better development.

Another player that I thought would be a world beater (technically he was?) Is Mario Götze

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Adriano could have been so much more.

This is a great shout. Absolutely top of the world striker that went from 100 to 0 in no time.

Talking about Brazilian strikers, and he had a tremendous career... Ronaldo, the real one, with good knees...

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
How about Real Betis record transfer and world record at the time of the transfer. Denilson.

Oh yeah and Porto/Manchester United starlet from brazil. Anderson!

They expected him to be like Ronaldinho/Ronaldo

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
Anderson is a good one. He was a 10 until he moved to United. Played his first game there for them and Fergie immediately moved him further back into midfield where his offensive ability went to die. He also suffered a broken leg at Porto which cost him a step.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Ronaldinho. I don't think many would consider him for such a list, but had he not let it all go with training and such he'd have had a significantly better second half to his career.
Ronaldinho was one of my first favorites. I truly believe the BEST version of Ronaldinho was the best player I’ve seen. He could do everything but he was only at the peak of his powers for 3 years or soon. If you had Ronaldinho with like Cristiano’s mentality, that is an unstoppable player in any league at any time period.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Ronaldinho was one of my first favorites. I truly believe the BEST version of Ronaldinho was the best player I’ve seen. He could do everything but he was only at the peak of his powers for 3 years or soon. If you had Ronaldinho with like Cristiano’s mentality, that is an unstoppable player in any league at any time period.
Probably your teenage eyes lying to you. Flash deceives a lot

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Hasse Blomkvist, brother of the more famous former man united player Jesper Blomkvist.

tobjorn nilsson...he hade a great carrer but never succed in bigger leagues due to his soft personality...but his skills where amazing.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
How about Real Betis record transfer and world record at the time of the transfer. Denilson.

Oh yeah and Porto/Manchester United starlet from brazil. Anderson!

They expected him to be like Ronaldinho/Ronaldo

Denilson was just dumb.
A similar player to him was Real Madrid's (I think I could easily do a full team with signings from them)... Robinho

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Joe Cole's career ended up lucrative and successful, but nowhere near as glorious as had been projected when he was a teenager.
CRc3fUmXAAAlTEI.jpg

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Plenty out there like that. SAF with Rooney, Forlan on Kun and magnificently Snejider has come out recently to claim he could've been as good and Messi and Ronaldo lol.
I dunno about Messi, but Sneijder was incredibly gifted. Incredible with both feet, too. Didn't have the commitment or work ethic though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad