Players that could have been

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Idk hes been pretty awful this year. A few seasons ago he looked awesome.
I mean his career has still been pretty good and I think he was never hyped as a elite superstar or anything like that. I don’t think he’s really at the point where he “could’ve been”.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Bojan
Mendieta
Pato

Mendieta is an interesting case - as a young player he was dismissed as enthusiastic but limited in a lot of quarters until Ranieri took over at Valencia. His peak years were from the age of 24 to 27, which isn't so unusual. Admittedly, his career tailed off, although part of the problem was the moves he made - he joined both Lazio and Barca when they when on a downward trajectory. Worse, in Italy, he was asked to help fill the gaps left by Veron and Nedved, a task for which his skillset was plainly unsuited. Nor was he a match for Van Gaal's style.

It's a pity he didn't come to England in 2001 - as it was, despite waiting until he was 29, and no longer the force of old, he served Middlesbrough well, helping them clinch their first and only major trophy, until injuries took their toll on him.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Not sure if could have been is the right term looking back, but Freddy Adu comes to mind with the hype

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Theres a difference between squandering talent and being badly evaluated. Adu simply got overrated.

Hence the first part of my sentence. He never proved he could become anything special at the top level, but before he gave it a go a lot of people thought he would be special.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Iheanacho

he’s still only 23 so this is prob harsh. But he was ridiculously hyped at City. He and Rashford both came on the scene in 15/16, and I can’t tell you how many times I had to listen to how great Iheamacho is and how Rashford was overrated.

Reactions: Cassano

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com

jhsfClI.gif

giphy.gif

Reactions: sabremike

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad