Players that are ok/meh in the regular season but good in the playoff?

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Mitch Marner is 24 years old. He still has time to learn and adapt to playoff hockey, imho.
Even if the results weren't there this year, Marner and Matthews had chances and could have taken over the series against the Habs.

But yes, there are 10 millions + reasons Marner shouldn't be "learning", but actually "doing".
Matthews? Sure

Marner is built like me when I was 13. Patrick Kane and Marty St.Louis figured it out. We're looking at a Johnny Gaudreau 2.0 here. He will put up stats but his style SUCKS for the playoffs. I don't need to listen to apologists. I watched him get the little brother monkey in the middle treatment and it's not ok. He is paid too much for it to be glossed over. Gotta move on.

Reactions: Donkeyz

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Matthews? Sure

Marner is built like me when I was 13. Patrick Kane and Marty St.Louis figured it out. We're looking at a Johnny Gaudreau 2.0 here. He will put up stats but his style SUCKS for the playoffs. I don't need to listen to apologists. I watched him get the little brother monkey in the middle treatment and it's not ok. He is paid too much for it to be glossed over. Gotta move on.

Lol at the St. Louis comparison. He may be short but he's built like an ox.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
We're not idiots we recognize he can't handle the style that playoff hockey brings to the table. He is like Dennis the Menace with a slingshot in trench warfare. Useless.

It's people like you that are easily deceived by his regular season totals. Hockey is a sport where the regular season and post season bring 2 completely different styles to the game.

Unfortunately for the Leafs, Marner makes so much money and is on the top line and PP unit that he is not only sucking but taking the opportunities that someone else could be cashing in on. His salary is a team killer.

So you think he is a lost cause. I thought your generation was all about 15 chances and entitlement?

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
So you think he is a lost cause. I thought your generation was all about 15 chances and entitlement?
Every generations is a by product of the ones before it. This generation was always going to be the way it is due to the way things are going in western society. You can't really change that.

But yeah, marner has to go.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Did Nylander show up when he was scared to be the first guy to the puck almost every time? Sure, he got some points, but that type of mindset is the reason the leafs lose in the first round every year.

I think you meant Marner, or you just didn't watch the series. Nylander was great every single game, easily our best forward maybe the best forward between both teams for the series.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Matthews.

Especially as series go longer and games get tougher. Or on elimination situations.

Basically in games 5,6 and 7 of any series, Matthews elevates his game to another level, every playoffs. Just like a true superstar does.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Johan Franzen?

Guy was a middling NHL winger who had three huge PPG+ playoff runs

Another good one is Justin Williams

teemussalami

Mar 10, 2016
Matthews.

Especially as series go longer and games get tougher. Or on elimination situations.

Basically in games 5,6 and 7 of any series, Matthews elevates his game to another level, every playoffs. Just like a true superstar does.

Did you even watch the playoffs this year at all? Matthews is literally the opposite answer to the question the OP is asking....

Reactions: The Moose is Loose

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON
Claude Lemieux and Justin Williams come to mind.

Two guys that are good players but just found another gear come playoff time.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Johan Franzen?

Guy was a middling NHL winger who had three huge PPG+ playoff runs

Franzen was really that good when he was "on", he was just really streaky. He went on similar tears during the regular season too but then they'd be diluted by long stretches where he produced little to nothing.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
I think you meant Marner, or you just didn't watch the series. Nylander was great every single game, easily our best forward maybe the best forward between both teams for the series.

He put up some points but he was scared to get hit, which is part of the problem for Toronto. They play too soft.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Staal is the obvious answer for the Habs, but the veteran experience from Weber-Chiarot (who had pretty awful regular seasons) has been so crucial to us these playoffs. They've stepped up their play big time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad