Friedman: Players teams are watching to see if they get qualified: Kase, Bear, Gurianov, Kapanen, Strome, Wood, Zacha

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The issue isn't what his QO is - that's irrelevant. The issue is if/when he files for arbitration. If he gets 3m-4m in arbitration the Pens cannot walk away (needs to be ~4.6m). Now I doubt he gets that much... but that's the risk and if he doesn't get qualified, that would be why.

Yeah. There's definitely some "risk" involved with Kapanen, when it comes to potential Arbitration. He could very conceivably ring in at something just under that "walk away" number. Something like $4.25-4.5M wouldn't be surprising arbitration award at all. That's probably not something that works very well for the Penguins and their situation.

But i really feel like, even at that sort of arbitrated salary, there would be teams out there willing to take a flyer on Kapanen if the Pens ended up needing to unload him. Made a little bit more complicated, and limited in the potential suitors by the fact that award could come down late enough in the offseason that a lot of other teams will have made their moves and be largely nestled in against the salary cap with no room left to take him on.

But there are enough teams that will have a bit of cap space left to play with, and a lot of those sort of teams are probably the type who would potentially be interesting in seeing what Kapanen can do for them, with some opportunity to spare anyway. Wouldn't expect much of a return in that scenario, but i'm pretty confident that when it comes to players like Kapanen/Zacha, even if the arbitration award becomes problematic, they'd be able to find a taker to get out from under it if need be.

Someone like Kase on the other hand...i doubt there'd be any takers. Which becomes a serious problem, with no good solutions.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yep, trade his rights for a draft pick if possible before QOs are due…

Good to see you posting again, Riptide…wish you were back posting on the Penguins forum…

I'm not sure I'd trade him. Definitely have discussions to see what the market is like... but I'd be trying to negotiate a deal or waiting to see how things play out with the other FA/RFAs. Aside from Malkin and Letang, the FA I really want to resign (although not sure how it would be possible without making other moves to free up cap) is Rakell. Even if Kap was willing to sign for 2.5m... I'd still be waiting to see what everything else looked like to be sure a little deal like that didn't handcuff something else.

I just don't have the free time anymore - damn getting my ideal job where I actually have to work now vs getting paid to just sit and wait for shit to break - great for my hockey pools and HF, but not as fulfilling and far less OT/travel. I come here time to time to see signings/trades as it's easier/quicker then scrolling through TSN.

Reactions: Andy99

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Hard to be a fan when you have more productive options and the kid's game was meh. This is when having quality depth sucks for a player who's struggling. Some of those guys will be gone this summer, so that will hopefully open up a bit of room... but Kapanen's game wasn't the same as the year went on, and his TOI is reflective of this.

A healthy lineup based on their PO roster:

Guentzel - Crosby - Rakell
Zucker - Malkin - Rust
Heinen - Carter - McGinn/Kapanen
Boyle/Rodrigues - Blueger - McGinn/Kapanen

The good news for Kapanen is that Rakell is likely gone (sad), and thus there's going to be some more space on the right side in the top 6/9. At the bare minimum Kapanen should be able to get consistent icetime.

The issue isn't what his QO is - that's irrelevant. The issue is if/when he files for arbitration. If he gets 3m-4m in arbitration the Pens cannot walk away (needs to be ~4.6m). Now I doubt he gets that much... but that's the risk and if he doesn't get qualified, that would be why.
He's regressed since signing his deal and the cap has been flat. Do you really expect him to get a huge raise?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
He's regressed since signing his deal and the cap has been flat. Do you really expect him to get a huge raise?

A huge raise? Not really. He had a cap hit of 3.2m. If a deal was signed vs an arbitration award, I would expect him to get less, probably in the 2-2.7m range. The thing is one never really knows how things will pan out. Unfortunately we've also seen from time to time players get significantly more then most would expect. It's that uncertainty that's leaving me a little jaded and apprehensive over how things will play out.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I can see Seattle having interest in Kapanen, Gurianov and Zacha if the cost to acquire is favorable. Might have some in Bear but not at his QO. So if you don't want to lose them for nothing you should be calling Francis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad