Players should be able to hit Goalies behind the net

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Shocked I tell you, shocked that a lot of the people itt who want to make goalies fair game are also the people when discussing questionable checks to the head post a variation of “keep your head up” as a reason the hit was ok.

Some of you need to put on pads just one time and see how difficult it is to move around. Just the leg pads and goalie skates would be enough for 95% of the keyboard warriors ITT to realize how dumb the idea to make goalies fair game. I see a lot of people saying stuff like “bumping goalies should be allowed, it’s harmless.” No it’s not. Again. Our equipment isn’t made to be bumped. We got these things called leg pads and when bumped while skating it’s very likely you’re leg pads will get tied up and open you up to a knee injury. It’s even more likely these days because goalie pads are no longer allowed to have straps above the knee. Knee guards attached to the pad are also no longer allowed so goalies have to strap a plastic brace on their knee which further limits mobility. There’s is literally not one aspect of goalie gear that adequately prepares them for a collision with a skater.

What really interests me about this topic every time is that the complaints are about goalies coming out of their net and making team benefitting plays with the puck. 90% of goalies in the NHL aren’t very good at it so most of them do nothing more than stop the puck behind the net and leave it for a teammate. Everything else is a break glass in case of emergency thing. The goalies that piss people off are the ones who can make outlet passes and singlehandedly take away the dump and chase? That’s a valuable skill. Why take it away? It was already limited with the trapezoid. It makes zero sense to take away a skilled aspect of the game because some people just want to see goalies blown up.

This topic comes up multiple times every year. And each time the people who want goalies to be fair game show how ignorant they really are when it comes to actually playing the game. This inteneration is no different.

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
NFL QBs lose their protection if they decide to “become a runner” so it isn’t unheard of.

True but the NFL also gave them the option to throw the ball away without a penalty so they aren’t forced to be a runner. Goalies choose to go behind the net to play the puck
This will obviously never happen, there is a better chance of the goalie not being able to play the puck then have goalies as “fair game” out there and that won’t happen.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
You want to make one of the most difficult positions in professional sports even harder?

Say in this scenario where hitting a goalie is legal a goalie comes out to play the puck and doesn't see a forechecker coming off the bench on the weak side. That forechecker comes in and lays out whoever the goalie is while they're playing the puck. That goalie is on his ass, stunned by the sheer force of something that has been deemed illegal his entire career up until now. Also much harder to get back on your skates when weighed down by bulky equipment. That forechecker then takes the loose puck, makes a simple pass to his teammate who is anywhere above the goal line in the offensive zone and an easy goal occurs. The attacking team celebrates while the other team's trainer is checking if his goalie can tell him how many fingers he's holding up and what month it is.

I do wish they would redefine what exactly is legal and illegal contact with a goaltender. Way too much grey area exists.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Just tell refs to start calling goalies for interference if they play the puck and then set a pick instead of returning to the net. That's what you seem to be upset over.

NFL QBs lose their protection if they decide to “become a runner” so it isn’t unheard of.

They only apply that standard to Cam Newton.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Shocked I tell you, shocked that a lot of the people itt who want to make goalies fair game are also the people when discussing questionable checks to the head post a variation of “keep your head up” as a reason the hit was ok.

Some of you need to put on pads just one time and see how difficult it is to move around. Just the leg pads and goalie skates would be enough for 95% of the keyboard warriors ITT to realize how dumb the idea to make goalies fair game. I see a lot of people saying stuff like “bumping goalies should be allowed, it’s harmless.” No it’s not. Again. Our equipment isn’t made to be bumped. We got these things called leg pads and when bumped while skating it’s very likely you’re leg pads will get tied up and open you up to a knee injury. It’s even more likely these days because goalie pads are no longer allowed to have straps above the knee. Knee guards attached to the pad are also no longer allowed so goalies have to strap a plastic brace on their knee which further limits mobility. There’s is literally not one aspect of goalie gear that adequately prepares them for a collision with a skater.

What really interests me about this topic every time is that the complaints are about goalies coming out of their net and making team benefitting plays with the puck. 90% of goalies in the NHL aren’t very good at it so most of them do nothing more than stop the puck behind the net and leave it for a teammate. Everything else is a break glass in case of emergency thing. The goalies that piss people off are the ones who can make outlet passes and singlehandedly take away the dump and chase? That’s a valuable skill. Why take it away? It was already limited with the trapezoid. It makes zero sense to take away a skilled aspect of the game because some people just want to see goalies blown up.

This topic comes up multiple times every year. And each time the people who want goalies to be fair game show how ignorant they really are when it comes to actually playing the game. This inteneration is no different.

yep, every freaking year. you know what else would increase scoring ? make all defensement wear a pirate eye patch to kill dept perception.

equally idiotic.

and I love , and I mean LOVE how the same people who propose this, insist that there isnt a good reason to not allow it when the biggest reason ( safety) is raised every time and this either simple ignore it or just dont care so that NEXT year they can repeat the same inane arguments.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Goalies are absolutely not fair game and the idea that they should be is lunacy. Try dressing up in goalie equipment and see how well you can maneuver compared to a skater. Also get rid of the trapezoid, which was specifically instituted to negate skill ("Martin Brodeur is too good at handling the puck, it isn't fair!!!"). Skill should be rewarded not punished.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Do some goalies set up picks on forecheckers? Sure?
Do some goalies play up any contact made against them in an attempt to draw penalties? Absolutely.
Would I like to see these perpetrators lit up like a christmas tree to teach them a lesson? Wouldn't hurt my feelings.
Would the people running the NHL like to see more line & bench-clearing brawls & the terrible publicity that would ensue as a result of this. ABSOLUTELY NO ****ING WAY!!!!!!!

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I don't understand why goalies are allowed to play the puck behind the net, set up picks, and players not be allowed to hit them.

I take issue with goalies slowing down the game and stopping dump ins, all while the pressuring forward can't hit the goalie.

Goalies are protected in the crease heavily but you can't hit them when they stop protecting the net?

It's extremly stupid that goalies get away with that. There is no reasons for goalies to get involved in a play and not be fair game.

I think goalies should just stay in the net that way the games will flow better, or if goalies want to play as a player when they go behind the net and make passes, then they should be able to get hit like a player.

Change my mind cause this rule is unfair and illogical. Tell me why it should stay. I've met countless people who agree with me so I'm curious to see what others say.

29zivo.jpg
Technically goalie aren't allowed to set a pick. They get away with it.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

1) The equipment isn't different. 2) They're looking down at a puck. 3)When they drop down, the play isn't over. There's no getting out of it. It might not be unheard of, but it's not nearly the same thing on Ice, in goalie equipment. I agree with a lot of @Beezeral posted, I think some of you would have a change of opinion if you wore goalie equipment for 10 minutes.

Reactions: Beezeral

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Kinda of surprised how many people actually support this. Do they not realize what an extreme disadvantage a goalie is in? They do not have the mobility or agility to avoid a check, they are essentially a giant tackling dummy back there. Also, with their goalie masks, they pretty much HAVE to look down just to see the puck, which you all hate already when a skater does it considering how dangerous it is, but the goalie doesn't really have a choice.

Don't act like it's because you don't want goalies playing the puck behind the net, then the simple proposal would just be to remove the trapezoid and extend the no touch zone to all the ice behind the red line. You savages just want to see poor slow goalie get annihilated.

Reactions: TGWL

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I still don't know why goalies should be forbidden from handling the puck behind the net. Handling the puck as a goalie is a skill and as I previously said skill should be rewarded, not punished.

Reactions: Beezeral

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I still don't know why goalies should be forbidden from handling the puck behind the net. Handling the puck as a goalie is a skill and as I previously said skill should be rewarded, not punished.
Hitting people is also a skill.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Heck, I also think that, heck, I mean, heck, players should be allowed to cross-check referees from behind while they're skating backwards unawares.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Heck, I also think that, heck, I mean, heck, players should be allowed to cross-check referees from behind while they're skating backwards unawares.
Well that is illegal as seen by the flames. They also employ a goaltender that this thread was 69/69 made about... Whatta org.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Goalie equipment is designed to protect goalies from being injured by the puck, not to protect them from being hit. Every single piece of goalie equipment, from the mask to the skates, would have to be completely redesigned to incorporate allowing them to be hit. This (idiotic) proposed rule change, and resulting equipment modifications, would change the goalie position so drastically that it would fundamentally alter the way the game is played.

In short, it would be a whole lot easier to just make it illegal for goalies to leave the crease to play the puck.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Goalie equipment is designed to protect goalies from being injured by the puck, not to protect them from being hit. Every single piece of goalie equipment, from the mask to the skates, would have to be completely redesigned to incorporate allowing them to be hit. This (idiotic) proposed rule change, and resulting equipment modifications, would change the goalie position so drastically that it would fundamentally alter the way the game is played.

In short, it would be a whole lot easier to just make it illegal for goalies to leave the crease to play the puck.
I for one am looking forward to the game becoming nothing but teams dumping pucks in if that rule is implemented.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad