Players Missing Teeth

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Teeth are not brain cells I think. More teeth does not mean more more intelligence.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
8tkL.gif

Jeffrey Faron

May 12, 2018
Here is the science:
Analysis suggested a person missing visible teeth was more negatively perceived on all social traits than a person with full dentition. Results were strongest when students were proposed to be linked to the edentulous individual in a personal way, i.e., dating or living as neighbor. Men and women agreed on perceptions of social traits and dentition condition. These results suggest the presence of strong Western cultural values, whereby those who are missing teeth may experience significant barriers to personal and social success.
PMID

18556899 [Indexed for MEDLINE]

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
It’s expensive to fix the damaged teeth and a lot of players just end up losing or redamaging their teeth again shortly after. I forget which player came out recently and said he regretted paying to get his teeth fixed because he got his mouth messed up shortly after. It’s the nature of the sport.

I highly doubt that NHL players are paying for their own dental work.

Jeffrey Faron

May 12, 2018
I agree it is socially acceptable among "hockey people" but I find it interesting that it has continued as hockey has become more popular and in our age of social media. I personally do not care how someone else chooses to look or if they care how they appear. Good for them.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I think you are missing my point.
If I were lucky enough to play in the NHL, I would pay a few hundred bucks for An invisalign mouthguard with cosmetic teeth so when my face was on TV, I didn't look homeless. Call me vain or whatever you want. What would you choose?View attachment 120867
Patrik Nemeth got hit in the face with something this season and his tooth got chipped even though he was wearing a mouthguard at the time. He was showing it off to the guy next to him on the bench while the trainer behind him was trying to knock the tooth out to give it back. What do you think a mouthguard with stuff stuck in it is going to do to a player if they get hit in the face again?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
With current dental technology, I think it's time for hockey players to quit the no teeth look. I get the rite of passage thing and the traditional hockey thing but the look is outdated and it gives the impression of a lower IQ, much like wearing a baseball hat sideways. They come to the rink wearing suits that costs thousands and then go out on the ice looking like a Billy Bob. To the casual observer, of which I am not, it gives the false impression that hockey players are less intelligent.

FYI most players have dentures to replace the teeth they lose while player and get high end teeth when they are done--make no sense to get high end ones done only to lost them again

Jeffrey Faron

May 12, 2018
Wow. I truly underestimated how many people do not care how they look. I feel the same way I did the last time I shopped at Walmart.

Jeffrey Faron

May 12, 2018

Jeffrey Faron

I think you are missing my point.
If I were lucky enough to play in the NHL, I would pay a few hundred bucks for An invisalign mouthguard with cosmetic teeth sowhen my face was on TV, I didn't lookhomeless. Call me vain or whatever you want. What would you choose?
essix2-jpg.120867

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Wow. I truly underestimated how many people do not care how they look. I feel the same way I did the last time I shopped at Walmart.
It’s been explained to you several times. Caring about appearance has little to do with it... and I’m not sure what you look like, but if you’re somewhat attractive and present yourself well, some battle damage isn’t hurting your pick up game at all. It actually helps in some instances.

Curious, would you spend time and money on cosmetic upgrades to your car when you plan to scrap it? Especially if you’re more concerned with function over fashion?

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
it gives the impression of a lower IQ, much like wearing a baseball hat sideways. They come to the rink wearing suits that costs thousands and then go out on the ice looking like a Billy Bob. To the casual observer, of which I am not, it gives the false impression that hockey players are less intelligent.

How low does someone’s IQ have to be to actually care what swipples might think about multi-millionaires with missing teeth ?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
There's absolutely no reason whatsoever for players with missing teeth to wear fake teeth during games. Most of them pop them in right after the game. Some, like Burns because he loves the attention his absurd look brings him, don't.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
The choking on your dental work excuse is ridiculous. Crosby and others do just fine playing with fake teeth. Worst case they pop out and you pay a bit extra to get them put back in. It's not rocket appliances, it's dental appliances.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
There's absolutely no reason whatsoever for players with missing teeth to wear fake teeth during games. Most of them pop them in right after the game. Some, like Burns because he loves the attention his absurd look brings him, don't.

There absolutely is a reason. Do you know why the NHL doesn't allow full face shields?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad