Players Missing Teeth

Jeffrey Faron

May 12, 2018
With current dental technology, I think it's time for hockey players to quit the no teeth look. I get the rite of passage thing and the traditional hockey thing but the look is outdated and it gives the impression of a lower IQ, much like wearing a baseball hat sideways. They come to the rink wearing suits that costs thousands and then go out on the ice looking like a Billy Bob. To the casual observer, of which I am not, it gives the false impression that hockey players are less intelligent.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
With current dental technology, I think it's time for hockey players to quit the no teeth look. I get the rite of passage thing and the traditional hockey thing but the look is outdated and it gives the impression of a lower IQ, much like wearing a baseball hat sideways. They come to the rink wearing suits that costs thousands and then go out on the ice looking like a Billy Bob. To the casual observer, of which I am not, it gives the false impression that hockey players are less intelligent.

Brought to you by Jeffrey Faron, Executive Director of the Canadian Dental Association.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
ggsa34P.gif

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
It’s expensive to fix the damaged teeth and a lot of players just end up losing or redamaging their teeth again shortly after. I forget which player came out recently and said he regretted paying to get his teeth fixed because he got his mouth messed up shortly after. It’s the nature of the sport.

Reactions: Elvs and AnimalFear

Jeffrey Faron

May 12, 2018
Its certainly not a big deal to me, but why not wear whatever temporary appliance they put in after the game. I am not talking about permanent restoration.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
I know some players take their fake teeth out for games. Dustin Byfuglien is one that i know of that takes his out when he plays.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The state of dental technology is irrelevant. This is not difficult to figure out, OP. Why get extensive dental work only to have your face caved in the next week? Month? Year?

When asked, many gap-toothed hockey players reply that they plan to get it done after their playing days are done. Invariably, they do.

Jeffrey Faron

May 12, 2018
essix2.jpg

Dental technology .
Inexpensive
incorporated into mouthguard

Last edited by a moderator:

Beebop22

May 4, 2017
Umm. You take them out before the game. Why risk damaging your fake teeth? Also probably not so safe to be wearing them and have them dislodge from a hit and possibly choke on them? Save the dental implants for when your playing days are over.

Reactions: SotasicA

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
i just think it's strange so many players do not wear mouth guards

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/have-players-stopped-wearing-mouth-guards.2455873/

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I feel like they wait till they retire to replace their teeth. Even with a mouthguard what's the point of getting bone grafts / replacement teeth implanted when it's just a stick or a shot away from losing them again.

Everyone should just wear cages but with half shields I wouldn't replace my teeth till I was done

Even in beer leagues you see guys that won't protect their teeth and you will see some stupid 50/50 puck battle shoot the puck at people's mouths

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Most players wait until the off season or even wait until they retire to invest in a new grill.

In Tavares rookie season Proger knocked his front teeth out and he played with false team for a few years. He even popped them off on the bench once.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad